Black flickering after logging in

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bananir
Level 1
Level 1

Black flickering after logging in

Post by bananir »

Hello, im still new to linux so if this is a common problem then I apologize.

I recently installed Mint 21.3 Xfce x64 on my old computer (AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7, 12 compute cores 4C+8G, and AMD RADEON R7 graphics), the installation process went fine but I had to choose compatability mode as normal mode didnt work, and I set it up to dual boot with windows. Windows works as expected.

I can reach the login window with no problems but as soon as I type in the password and hit enter, the screen goes black and starts flickering on and off. Im not sure what to try as I dont even know what I can do without logging in.

Also sorry for no info sheet, I cant access anything past the login screen.

Any help is appreciated.
mikaelrask
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Black flickering after logging in

Post by mikaelrask »

Hey and welcome to the forum and linux mint, check in your bios that you have disabled fast and secure boot also check under advance setting that the ssd/mvme is set to ahci mode.
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900
Graphic Card: AMD ATI Radeon RX 7900 XT/7900 XTX/7900M
Ram 32 GB ddr 5
Kernel: 6.5.0-14 generic
LM Cinnamon 21.3 edge
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

bananir wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:40 pmAlso sorry for no info sheet, I cant access anything past the login screen.
Welcome to the forum, bananir.

Please boot your install usb to a live session of Linux Mint using compatibility mode. Then open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.

It is quite possible you are running into this issue: AMD Stoney and Wani graphics and problems with 5.15.0-85 and newer 5.15 kernels
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
bananir
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bananir »

Hi, I am in fact using an HP laptop with AMD graphics, so I checked the post you sent and that seems to have fixed it. I am still extremely new to this so I'm still learning things as I go, but I must have just assumed I would be on the latest kernal after installation. I guess thats its own seperate thing. Anyways thanks again!

Return to “Installation & Boot”