Remote work help - Need a GlobalProtect GUI

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buf
Level 1
Level 1

Remote work help - Need a GlobalProtect GUI

Post by buf »

Heys!
I recently got an HP AIO with windows 11 mostly for remote work, and quickly realized the hardware has trouble dealing with the task. I then decided to try Linux on dual boot (something I hadn't done in the last 15 years, and still went pretty well), and it's working rather fine for everyday uses, except for the purpose the darn thing was bought for: remote work.
I need a working GlobalProtect connection (a PaloAlto VPN application) to authenticate on my organization, and then a remote desktop to connect to my physical desktop PC. Although I read that a remote desktop is easy to set up, I haven't even tried yet because I couldn't find a GlobalProtect GUI that works :/
I'd appreciate any help on setting up a remote workstation, so I can finally multitask properly :P
Last edited by SMG on Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added "Need a GlobalProtect GUI" to the title.
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Remote work help - Need a GlobalProtect GUI

Post by DisturbedDragon »

I used the CLI version for years but also never found a version of the UI frontend that worked.CLI is easy enough though. Just create a launcher for a quick sign in. It all works, 2FA and all. No different than the GUI honestly.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
buf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buf »

Thanks for the reply!
I installed something from the software manager, a gp-saml-gui, but I'm either doing something wrong (which is very likely) or it just doesn't work... could you direct me to that CLI version?

Also... what's a "launcher"...?
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

The one I used is here https://filetransfer.io/data-package/vVzbQjLF#link

You can just create text document and make it executable (right click and under the permissions tab "allow executing as a program")

The text file details will be dependent on your provider settings. Straight from the GP website.

Connect to a GlobalProtect portal:
Use the globalprotect connect --portal <gp-portal> command where <gp-portal> is the IP address or FQDN of your GlobalProtect portal.

Example got the text file would be

Code: Select all

user@linuxhost:~$ globalprotect connect --portal myportal.example.com
It will ask for your username the first time, but remember it after that. Subsequent connections will just ask for password and auth code if using 2FA.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
buf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by buf »

Success!
At least partial success :D
For unknown reasons, I couldn't get your version to work, but after searching a bit I found "PanGPLinux-6.1.2.tgz" here, and the "GlobalProtect_deb-6.1.2.0-82.deb" inside installed perfectly.
I can now login to the VPN with globalprotect connect -p [portal url] -u [username] (I think the username is redundant, as it asks me again).

Next step is to figure out how to simplify the login (either by using a launcher or an alias, will need to learn about both), and finding a way to connect to my remote windows desktop.

Thanks for your tips, I'm enjoying the ride :D
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

buf wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:58 am I can now login to the VPN with globalprotect connect -p [portal url] -u [username] (I think the username is redundant, as it asks me again).
Put that line into a text document and make it executable to launch from desktop. When you go to connect and it asks for username but already shows your username before the colon, just press enter. No need to type it again.

Return to “Beginner Questions”