Installing an upgrade

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gbone
Level 3
Level 3

Installing an upgrade

Post by gbone »

In a previous post I was advised to upgrade my LM19.3 to a version 21.x by using a clean installation. But I have many files and applications under LM19.3 and a clean install would mean loosing these. Is there a way to easily backup my files, apps and settings in browsers before a clean installation?
Thanks
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Installing an upgrade

Post by spamegg »

Mint has a Backup Tool, should be in your Menu (not sure if it was available on Mint 19?), otherwise you can install with apt install mintbackup

Note that your apps, settings / config files, and browser profiles (inside ~/.mozilla for Firefox) may not be compatible anymore, since a lot of time passed between Mint 19 and Mint 21. (Not sure if 19.3 still gets browser updates.)

From now on, you should write down all your app installs, settings, browser configs etc. in a text file somewhere. Every time you do anything, write it down. Then doing a clean install once every 2 years, plus 2-3 hours of work to manually reapply the settings, and you're good to go. Open source software moves fast and changes a lot of things, so it's not always possible to save / restore settings.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gbone wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:46 am I have many files and applications under LM19.3 and a clean install would mean loosing these.
You can and should backup your files (this can be as simple as copying them to an external storage medium) but you can't keep your applications. The same applications would most likely not run on a newer version of Mint, so it makes no sense to try and keep them.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

spamegg wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:26 am From now on, you should write down all your app installs, settings, browser configs etc. in a text file somewhere. Every time you do anything, write it down. Then doing a clean install once every 2 years, plus 2-3 hours of work to manually reapply the settings, and you're good to go. Open source software moves fast and changes a lot of things, so it's not always possible to save / restore settings.
Heck, could even opt to do it once every 4 (i.e. get 21, skip 22, get 23, etc).

Return to “Beginner Questions”