[Solved] Would linux mint create another entry in my BIOS?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linux_Mint_Good5483
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Would linux mint create another entry in my BIOS?

Post by Linux_Mint_Good5483 »

My computers BIOS doesn't really list boot devices but what the boot actually is. Would linux mint create another entry besides Windows Boot Loader, or would it just overwrite windows boot loader with its own boot loader, which, since I'm planning to dualboot, would load the windows boot loader when requested?
Last edited by Linux_Mint_Good5483 on Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
what am I doing with my life
Linux_Mint_Good5483
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Would linux mint create another entry in my BIOS?

If you need computer info, all I can tell you right now is its an acer aspire, I am currently on a bus on my way back to my home.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

Follow Mint's installation guide in order to choose the right edition, verify your ISO image, create the bootable media and boot Linux Mint Live USB. Then share your system info as indicated on here.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
Linux_Mint_Good5483
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have any spare USBs at the time, I'm currently just doing some research and might not even install in the end. Is there any way I could get the information that you need from windows?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Linux_Mint_Good5483 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:34 am Would linux mint create another entry besides Windows Boot Loader,
Sounds like you are booting UEFI, yes, after installing mint you will see another entry in BIOS called "ubuntu".
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

In case of UEFI it is Windows Boot Manager (not Loader) what you would see on BIOS Setup (F2) Boot priority order or, if boot menu key (F12) is anabled, on boot menu.
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Maybe or maybe not. Acer's with an Insyde uefi can be a little different. After install, you won't have an entry (only Windows Boot Loader) that will boot.

If you have one of those uefi, there will be items 'greyed out'. To enable the mint efi, you will have to create a BIOS ADMINISTRATOR password. Once that's done, one of the grey items will darken and show to 'search for boot file'. When found by the bios, you can name it anything you want, "MINT', and it will add that to the boot list.

Not all Insyde uefi behave this way, but my Acer's does.

It's an awful bios -- sometimes, for no apparent reason (windows hasn't been booted for weeks) it will throw a blue message that says boot not found. When mine does that, I have to hard-power down and reboot with the F2 key into the bios. The system will have moved 'Windows Boot Loader' to the #1 position, and I will move Mint back to #1 and all will be well for weeks--and then it will do it again. That copy of Windows doesn't have internet access, so it never updates, and it boots fine when I choose it from the grub menu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”