<SOLVED> In what directory is downloaded themes saved at?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gigmhe
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> In what directory is downloaded themes saved at?

Post by gigmhe »

The themes downloaded through the Themes application (on Cinnamon) doesn't seem to go to /usr/share/themes, where do they go???
Last edited by gigmhe on Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diam0ndkiller
Level 2
Level 2

Re: In what directory is downloaded themes saved at?

Post by diam0ndkiller »

I'm not on Cinnamon, but I guess it's ~/.local/share/themes. That is the user directory for themes. And I don't think the Theme Manager requires a root password, so it probably can only be there.
Linux Mint Xfce 21 | CalyxOS 5.4.1 | Raspberry Pi OS 11
gigmhe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gigmhe »

diam0ndkiller wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:19 pm I'm not on Cinnamon, but I guess it's ~/.local/share/themes. That is the user directory for themes. And I don't think the Theme Manager requires a root password, so it probably can only be there.
There are no folders named 'themes' or 'theme' on ~/.local/share/
diam0ndkiller
Level 2
Level 2

Post by diam0ndkiller »

Err yes my fault... I responded to fast... The actual user theme folder is ~/.themes (although the other one would make more sense in my oppinion...). Sorry for the chaos.
gigmhe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gigmhe »

diam0ndkiller wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:28 pm Err yes my fault... I responded to fast... The actual user theme folder is ~/.themes (although the other one would make more sense in my oppinion...). Sorry for the chaos.
That one exists and I found the downloaded themes over there, thanks :D
diam0ndkiller
Level 2
Level 2

Re: <SOLVED> In what directory is downloaded themes saved at?

Post by diam0ndkiller »

Nice :)
Just so you know: If you don't need them somewhere else, you can just leave the themes there. You won't be able to use them for other users but for your own user they should be available from that directory.
gigmhe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED> In what directory is downloaded themes saved at?

Post by gigmhe »

diam0ndkiller wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:33 pm Nice :)
Just so you know: If you don't need them somewhere else, you can just leave the themes there. You won't be able to use them for other users but for your own user they should be available from that directory.
Interesting, that explains why it couldn't be found on /usr/share/themes, thanks for clearing it up 8) :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”