How do I know if I'm ready to permanently switch to Linux Mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
piwii
Level 1
Level 1

How do I know if I'm ready to permanently switch to Linux Mint?

Post by piwii »

Before trying it out, I read about people on the internet (and apparently found topics here also saying) that you should get used to it before making the switch in case of changing mind about switching (in my case, from Windows), I've been trying to do that with Linux Mint very casually (once in a while) for quite sometime, and recently decided to keep using Linux Mint on a daily basis (without removing my Windows though) for almost two months already. The only issue which is more of a question that comes and goes from me is to which file system to stick with, on Windows it was something I'd never have thought of and or even why would I need to think of it, everything even USB always with NTFS, and also when I need to use office and am asked to write something in Arial (yikes) which LibreOffice is doing very well, although the font is an issue I found I could install them also with ttf-mscorefonts-installer.
So, considering everything is running fine, drivers all installed and working, programs I need on daily basis has FOSS/FLOSS alternatives (and some I can run fine with Wine even), what else should I be taking into consideration that I haven't yet?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How do I know if I'm ready to permanently switch to Linux Mint?

Post by Pjotr »

piwii wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:01 pm what else should I be taking into consideration that I haven't yet?
Nothing. Personally, I only keep a Windows around for updating my good old navigation device. That's it and that's all. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

piwii wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:01 pm The only issue which is more of a question that comes and goes from me is to which file system to stick with,
EXT4, at least for starting out. It's the default, and therefore "the easiest" to get help with. Once you're comfortable breaking things (and fixing them), go play with others.

External drives can remain ntfs, or exfat or whatever they got bought with (excepting if you want to use an external drive for timeshift snapshots; that needs to be ext4*)

* Well, or any linux-native filesystem; but let's stick with the "just use ext4" recommendation ;)
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

for newcomers that like to dabble I suggest a double basic install on two side by side partitions.
If you butcher one partition you have a fall back
They can both be your favorite desktop--or even mixed with one of the others.
Keep this partition freshly updated, but no other modifications, nothing added. Keep it fresh.
If you get into trouble in your main partition you can always boot to the alternate with a
fresh install experience.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

when the day comes, that you find it harder to use MS Windows, than to do the same job in Linux Mint.

which is what happens to me, when I need to help a friend on the BSOD computer.

I keep the boot drive in windows for two reasons.

1) TurboTax

2) update my Garmin GPS(s), we have 4 of them
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Even when 'permanently' switching to Mint most keep a win install available.
Eventually and hopefully you will not need to boot the win partition again--but it's no
big deal if you do.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

most likely, when you no longer have an software that you need to use,
- that is an Windows based software program -
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pierre wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:21 pm most likely, when you no longer have an software that you need to use,
guess I need to quit buying Garmin GPS units then :cry:

I will always keep my laptops dual boot, with a 4TB drive, who cares anyway?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

all41 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:19 pmEven when 'permanently' switching to Mint most keep a win install available.
Not here.
Not with the 50 or so installations I've done. Linux in, Windows out the door... so to speak.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 am Not with the 50 or so installations I've done. Linux in, Windows out the door... so to speak.
so - you've closed the window's :?:
:lol:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:13 am
Pierre wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:21 pm most likely, when you no longer have an software that you need to use,
guess I need to quit buying Garmin GPS units then :cry:

I will always keep my laptops dual boot, with a 4TB drive, who cares anyway?
I gave up using a dedicated external GPS, and also the inbuilt one in my car a long time ago. They were both horribly out of date as far as the maps were concerned, but to update those useless maps was too costly to be worthwhile.

I now use one of the many mobile phone apps which always use fully updated maps from Open-Street-Maps and are totally free to use.
There are many of these but I use mainly Waze or occasionally Mapfactor-Navigator the latter usually in countries where cellphone roaming costs are too high to use Waze which needs a phone connection to work at its best.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ajgreeny wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:47 am I gave up using a dedicated external GPS, and also the inbuilt one in my car a long time ago.
That's great, but it doesn't help the OP. Please note that this is not a chat topic. Cheers!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:26 am
all41 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:19 pmEven when 'permanently' switching to Mint most keep a win install available.
Not here.
Not with the 50 or so installations I've done. Linux in, Windows out the door... so to speak.
Same here. and I didn't just show Windows the door; I kicked it out and locked the door!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

piwii wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:01 pm Before trying it out, I read about people on the internet (and apparently found topics here also saying) that you should get used to it before making the switch in case of changing mind about switching (in my case, from Windows), I've been trying to do that with Linux Mint very casually (once in a while) for quite sometime, and recently decided to keep using Linux Mint on a daily basis (without removing my Windows though) for almost two months already.
I knew going in that I was fed up with Microsofts BS. Once I found a distro that did everything I needed (in this case Mint 21.1) I pulled the windows drive out of my machine, and installed Mint 21.1 on a new drive. Now keep in mind, before I pulled my windows drive, I had already been using cross platform programs like libreOffice and GIMP so my transition wouldn't be as brutal.
The only issue which is more of a question that comes and goes from me is to which file system to stick with,
If you are going to be windows only, then most will recommend going to a linux file format like ext4
So, considering everything is running fine, drivers all installed and working, programs I need on daily basis has FOSS/FLOSS alternatives (and some I can run fine with Wine even), what else should I be taking into consideration that I haven't yet?
You will still run into things that you used to do on windows without thinking about it, and you may have to learn new ways on Linux. Around September of last year (I think) I went full time linux and I don't miss windows at all. I have win7 running on a vm where I also have an older copy of the Kindle program installed. Once I got all the books I had purchased into it, I removed the VMs access to the web. This was the only way I knew to retain access to what I've actually paid for since Amazon has proven they are willing to remove books that you have paid for. I no longer use Amazon, so this list of books will never change.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Simple answer: When you feel you are ready and no longer need to boot into Windows.

In my case I switched when BSOD-OS .. er .. BSOD'd on me that final time, ironically when I plugged my scanner in - and decided enough is enough, I can't be bothered to fix it again this time.

There's a very nice option in the installer: Erase disk and install Linux Mint - which I happily used on an old Blister machine.

I agree with the post(s) above re. keeping the old Windows HDD around for a while, particularly when buying a machine, for warranty purposes at least or for those rare (in my case non-existent) occasions you need to use some Windows-only program.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

TaterChip wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:34 pm
piwii wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:01 pm Before trying it out, I read about people on the internet (and apparently found topics here also saying) that you should get used to it before making the switch in case of changing mind about switching (in my case, from Windows), I've been trying to do that with Linux Mint very casually (once in a while) for quite sometime, and recently decided to keep using Linux Mint on a daily basis (without removing my Windows though) for almost two months already.
I knew going in that I was fed up with Microsofts BS. Once I found a distro that did everything I needed (in this case Mint 21.1) I pulled the windows drive out of my machine, and installed Mint 21.1 on a new drive. Now keep in mind, before I pulled my windows drive, I had already been using cross platform programs like libreOffice and GIMP so my transition wouldn't be as brutal...
That was similar to how I went about it. I took the advice of a YouTuber named Joe Collins and tried out Mint on an old laptop (I switched out the SSD in it with another one before installing Mint rather than burn the Win 7 bridge behind me). I also had already become familiar with some cross-platform programs, such as LibreOffice, Gimp (kinda sorta; I never used PhotoShop), Qoppa PDF Studio Pro, etc. Once I felt kinda sort comfortable (which didn't take more than a month or so; besides, Win 7's EOL was just around the corner), I switched out the SSD in my then daily driver and installed Mint on that, using the trial machine for a backup when I borked the daily driver (which happened with decreasing frequency). I did have a third, even older machine with Windows still on it but I never had to resort to that.

piwii wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:01 pm ...The only issue which is more of a question that comes and goes from me is to which file system to stick with,
If you are going to be windows only, then most will recommend going to a linux file format like ext4...
Methinks you meant Linux only (typos happen).

piwii wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:01 pm ...So, considering everything is running fine, drivers all installed and working, programs I need on daily basis has FOSS/FLOSS alternatives (and some I can run fine with Wine even), what else should I be taking into consideration that I haven't yet?
You will still run into things that you used to do on windows without thinking about it, and you may have to learn new ways on Linux...
True that. Not all Windows programs have direct equivalents in Linux (or the ones that do may be garbage). You often have to think outside the box and develop new workflows to accomplish what you want done (I know I had to). Since I started using Linux, with some ingenuity and a lot of help from people here and, to a lesser degree, the "interwebs" in general, the only thing I can't do in some way or another that I could do in Windows is read my Kindle e-books directly from my computer (and I get around that by using the Kindle Cloud Reader when I'm at home; I'm not worried about Amazon deleting any of my books since my Kindle reader never, ever connects to the internet so I download my books to my computer and sideload them into the Kindle via USB).
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

AZgl1800 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:03 pm when the day comes, that you find it harder to use MS Windows, than to do the same job in Linux Mint.

which is what happens to me, when I need to help a friend on the BSOD computer.

I keep the boot drive in windows for two reasons.

1) TurboTax

2) update my Garmin GPS(s), we have 4 of them
Exactly the same reason here. Number 1, TurboTax.

Conveniently, the Garmin GPS has wifi and I can update that way.

So for myself, after using Windows for over 30 years, I just jumped in around 2016. Within a couple of months, I started forgetting how to use Windows programs.

If I had a good alternative to TurboTax, I'd give up Windows altogether.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Not 100% sure how to answer, I guess if you know you don't actually need any Windows software. Trouble is that can change in the future. I suppose I knew I was ready to ditch Windows when I realized I had a Windows partition that hadn't been booted for a couple of years.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CloneWerks »

DAMN THE TORPEDOS, FULL SPEED AHEAD!!!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

JerryF wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:45 pm If I had a good alternative to TurboTax, I'd give up Windows altogether.
I went online with IRS.gov and started using their format,
it is not quite as friendly as TurboTax, and backing up is a Super PITA,
you loose data...

and pulling up last year, or 3 years ago, is not at all easy.
with MS Windows, and all of my TurboTax *.exe saved forever,

I can go back to any year I please and do comparisons,
or pull out those over-runs where you have huge losses, but they only allow you to deduct $3,000 per year, been doing that now for 20 plus years, and I intend to get every penny I can out of it...

and filing for an Extension with the Online version is not to be found...
I had to go to another website, fill it out on paper, and mail it to Kentucky...
did they get it? who knows? :?:

Return to “Beginner Questions”