Wi-Fi Extenders

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newyorkpaulie
Level 3
Level 3

Wi-Fi Extenders

Post by newyorkpaulie »

Anyone have info on these? When I’m in a part of my house that’s a long distance from my router my Wi-Fi strength sucks. I am currently using an extender with so-so results. It’s a Macard 300 Mbps wireless repeater.
Running Linux Mint Mate 20.3 on a T61 ThinkPad.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Wi-Fi Extenders

Post by sleeper12 »

It doesn't work for everyone, but some get a stronger signal with a sheet of aluminum foil placed behind the router.
CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CloneWerks »

In my case I have an ethernet cable running the length of my house and I have a "range extender" set up in "access point" mode not range-extender mode. That works great.

I was very unhappy with the processing overhead that the "extender" mode entailed which made for far slower connections.

At this point I feel like you are way better off getting a mesh system than just an extender

Your mileage may vary.
cbraxton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cbraxton »

I have a similar situation and use powerline ethernet adapters to connect a 2nd WiFi access point located at the other end of the house from the router. It's worked out fine for several years now.
bin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bin »

Tenda AC1200 Mesh - dead cheap on Amazon.

Tried extenders and powerlines and none of them worked well. 10 minutes set up and wifi where needed.

Return to “Hardware Support”