linux mint on asus rog zephyrus g16 2024

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chetter_hummin
Level 1
Level 1

linux mint on asus rog zephyrus g16 2024

Post by chetter_hummin »

Hi!

I'm new to the forum and I want to use this oportunity to say hello to the community.
I just got myself an asus rog zephyrus g16 2024 laptop with windows 11 preinstalled and I would like to be able to dual boot linux and windows from it. Problem is it was easier with my ancient thinkpad to make it work with linux mint than this one.
I did not manage to install linux mint, it all goes well until the installer calculates the space on hard drive and I cannot go further away cause the installer believes I only have like 3gb free. I did not disabled secure boot from bios cause when I tried to do it, it messed my windows big time and I read that linux mint cinnamon, latest edition supports secure boot. I disabled bit locker from win 11.
I did not had any succes with ubuntu as well, the installer got stuck on grub update at 70% or smth.
I would like to go with mint cause I absolute love the interface!
I know it is a new laptop so maybe I need to w8 a bit for the linux kernels to recognize the hardware? the laptop has incel core ultra 9 cpu and rtx 4060 gpu.
any help would be apreciated! tyvm
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: linux mint on asus rog zephyrus g16 2024

Post by SMG »

chetter_hummin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:43 pmI just got myself an asus rog zephyrus g16 2024 laptop with windows 11 preinstalled and I would like to be able to dual boot linux and windows from it.
Welcome to the forum, chetter_hummin.

Are you using the Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon (Edge) Edition ISO?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
chetter_hummin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chetter_hummin »

Ty for your reply.
I used Linux Mint 21.3 "Virginia", no edge version cause it said in the description: The Edge ISO image is not as stable as the other ISOs and may not support as many proprietary drivers. Only use it if you cannot boot or install with the other ISOs.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

chetter_hummin wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:24 pmI used Linux Mint 21.3 "Virginia", no edge version cause it said in the description: The Edge ISO image is not as stable as the other ISOs and may not support as many proprietary drivers. Only use it if you cannot boot or install with the other ISOs.
You told us you were having problems. The Edge ISO is made specifically for new hardware. Please try the Edge ISO.
filipendo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by filipendo »

I guess you have SATA mode RST RAID, which is not suitable for linux. You have to set AHCI in bios. If you want to change to AHCI from RST RAID you have to setup windows to boot into safe mode, then find VMD is in BIOS > Advanced Mode > Advanced > VMD Configuration and set it off which means its running in AHCI. Then start windows in safe mode log ing and it should install AHCI sata driver in background, at least thats theory. Then you have change system configuration -> set boot normal instead of safe mode. I think I have seen some videos on youtube.
chetter_hummin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chetter_hummin »

Hello!
I tried the edge iso and it is even worse. it wont even boot, it crashes after bios.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

chetter_hummin wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:14 pm it wont even boot, it crashes after bios.
Please explain what that means you are seeing / hearing. The term "crash" does not have the same meaning for everyone.
chetter_hummin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chetter_hummin »

I go into bios to select usb stick as a boot option number 1.
after that it tries to boot from usb stick, it does not get to the point where it shows me the menu where I can select try/install linux mint or safe mode etc.
imediatly after rog logo it will display some error messages, on black screen, for a few seconds, it finishes with sentence: that is a serious error and then it shuts down the pc! display of error messages only takes 1 or 2 seconds.

with regular cinnamon iso, I can see try/install linux mint menu, and it all goes well, until it calculates the space on my hard drive, and it tells me there is not enough space, although I have enough space on my 1TB hard drive
chetter_hummin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chetter_hummin »

filipendo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:22 am You have to set AHCI in bios.
ty, will take a look into this matter!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

chetter_hummin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am I go into bios to select usb stick as a boot option number 1.
after that it tries to boot from usb stick, it does not get to the point where it shows me the menu where I can select try/install linux mint or safe mode etc.
imediatly after rog logo it will display some error messages, on black screen, for a few seconds, it finishes with sentence: that is a serious error and then it shuts down the pc! display of error messages only takes 1 or 2 seconds.
I do not have any guesses what the message might be. Sometimes taking a video of the process and then running it in slow motion can identify the messages.
chetter_hummin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 amwith regular cinnamon iso, I can see try/install linux mint menu, and it all goes well, until it calculates the space on my hard drive, and it tells me there is not enough space, although I have enough space on my 1TB hard drive
It sounds like it is not seeing the drive. Others have run into issues like this. Check the BIOS/UEFI updates for your computer. Someone else I recently helped found their manufacturer had done an update to make sure Nvme drives were properly recognized.
chetter_hummin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chetter_hummin »

SMG wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am Sometimes taking a video of the process and then running it in slow motion can identify the messages.
failed to open efi/boot/mmx64.efi - Not found
failed to load image : not found
failed to load Mokmanager : not found
something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed: not found

this is the text I got for 1-2 seconds then it shuts down when I try to boot edge iso

I just updated my bios yesterday
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

chetter_hummin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pmfailed to open efi/boot/mmx64.efi - Not found
failed to load image : not found
failed to load Mokmanager : not found
something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed: not found

this is the text I got for 1-2 seconds then it shuts down when I try to boot edge iso
Those messages sound like the ones in this topic [Solved] Help! “Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found”, but that person was seeing them while using the regular (non-Edge) ISO.

Can you boot to a live session of Linux Mint with the regular (non-Edge) ISO and provide system information for us? Do not try to install, just open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware. Your first post indicates you were able to get part-way through the installation, so you should be able to just do a live session.
chetter_hummin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chetter_hummin »

I booted to a live session of Linux Mint with the regular (non-Edge) ISO and this is what system info shows me, I cant copy the info directly into post here cause I cant use firefox in live session, because linux mint does not detect the wireless adapter of my laptop:
linux mint 21.3 cinnamon
version 6.0.4
linux kernel 5.15.0-91-feneric
processor intel core ultra 9 185H
memory 30.9 gib
hard drives 18.1 GB
graphics card intel corporation device 7d55
graphics card Nvidia corporation device 28e0
display server x11

tyvm for assisting me!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

chetter_hummin wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 pm I booted to a live session of Linux Mint with the regular (non-Edge) ISO and this is what system info shows me
Let's try this again because it appears you went to the wrong place to get information.

Please open the System Reports app.
Then click System Information in the left pane of the System Reports app.
Your computer's information should come up in the right pane.
Take photos of that information and post them here. You will need to scroll down the right pane to get all of the information.

You can post photos (if they are small enough) by using the Attachments tab below the reply box. If the photos are too large, you can post them on a photo-sharing site and give us the links to them.
chetter_hummin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chetter_hummin »

SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

chetter_hummin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:55 pm https://drive.google.com/file/d/1efOP85 ... sp=sharing

this is a link of the info!
That output shows that only the 16GB USB stick is seen by the installer (ie. only one drive is shown in the Drives section). That is why it will not let you install.

There is RAID and the chip ID seems to indicate it's a device to handle NVMes. I think that may take the vmd driver (many newer laptops do), but it seems it does not load with this older kernel.

I see that device used in this inxi output, but that is not an ASUS laptop. They were able to install using the LM21.3 Edge ISO and then upgraded to a mainline kernel.

Did you get a chance to follow up on filipendo's comment?
chetter_hummin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chetter_hummin »

SMG wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:33 pm

Did you get a chance to follow up on filipendo's comment?
Hi and thank you for all your time. I did look on the matter but it is a bit more complicated for me to understand and I don t have the time and energy anymore to invest into it. with my old asus laptop, linux worked like a charm, although it was new at the time I installed linux on it, I even managed to make linux use the nvidia gpu, not the intel one.

but now everything looks more complicated and I used a lot of time with both ubuntu and linux mint and even when the instalation process for ununtu worked like a charm and linux wanted to restart, it still did not boot.

So yeah, ty for all your time and I might try some other time when the laptop wont be that new and the installation process wont be such a pain in the ass.

Return to “Installation & Boot”