Problems Getting Installed Linux to Boot / Run on HP-ProBook-455

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Problems Getting Installed Linux to Boot / Run on HP-ProBook-455

Post by Moem »

The best possible speed tweaks for that laptop, if possible, would probably be:
- adding more RAM. 4GB is pretty painful these days
- switching out the HDD for an SSD.

Just FYI, the Edge version is aimed at very new hardware.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Picasso01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Picasso01 »

Unfortunately, I live in rural Spain... people here think I'm tech savvy, that's the joke! :roll: I'll have a look on YouTube...
If I can't find anything, I'll go back to the previous state, I used Timeshift, as suggested, just in case of trouble. Thanks for trying to help.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

From looking here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-ProBoo ... 740.0.html
... I get the impression that it has two memory slots but comes with only one filled. Adding RAM is usually as easy as shutting the laptop down, opening a hatch on the bottom, and popping it in. Look up some videos if that gives you more confidence, I'm pretty sure this is within your powers.
Swapping out a drive isn't a lot harder.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Picasso01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Picasso01 »

Moem wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am From looking here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-ProBoo ... 740.0.html
... I get the impression that it has two memory slots but comes with only one filled. Adding RAM is usually as easy as shutting the laptop down, opening a hatch on the bottom, and popping it in. Look up some videos if that gives you more confidence, I'm pretty sure this is within your powers.
Swapping out a drive isn't a lot harder.
Thanks for taking the time to respond with a good idea, it's something to consider for the future. I'm just trying to make good use of an old laptop though, it's an experiment I've been thinking about for some time.

I've spent a few hours uninstalling things I don't need which come ready packaged. As all I want is a home media center, there's no need for a printer, or any office tools/ apps, or Thunderbird email, etc., etc.. Also, installed Bleachbit and cleaned up some scraps! I'll figure out how to uninstall more stuff I don't need - safely - tomorrow.

I've just streamed a documentary with zero buffering, or glitches, so I'm quite happy with that. It is performing 100% better than yesterday, and the only real change has been to upgrade to Edge ISO.

It still won't boot up though, so I guess I'll just have to live with hitting the ESC key and going through the motions. It works eventually!

I appreciate the advice, thanks again.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Picasso01 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:35 pmAlso, installed Bleachbit and cleaned up some scraps!
BleachBit tends to "clean up" more than it is supposed to do and is known to cause problems.
Picasso01 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:35 pm I'll figure out how to uninstall more stuff I don't need - safely - tomorrow.
Programs which are not running do not need "cleaned" from the install unless you are running low on space.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Picasso01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Picasso01 »

I've been using Bleachbit for a long time, and like any tool it does what you configure it to do. I ran it yesterday, cleaned up well over a GB and didn't cause any problems.

I'm really pleased with how Linux is running now... if only I could get it to boot up normally!
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

if only I could get it to boot up normally!
I just read this whole thread and was surprised to see this at the end. So I go back and see:
It still won't boot up though, so I guess I'll just have to live with hitting the ESC key and going through the motions. It works eventually!
Should we dive into fixing whatever those motions are, or are you satisfied?
Picasso01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Picasso01 »

mikeflan wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:27 am
if only I could get it to boot up normally!
I just read this whole thread and was surprised to see this at the end. So I go back and see:
Should we dive into fixing whatever those motions are, or are you satisfied?
Hello, and thanks for paying attention to the main problem. The only way I can get Linus to boot up is by hitting ESC, F9 - BIOS boot options - scroll down to Ubuntu and click on that. After 90 seconds or so the Mint logo appears, then it loads.

As I wasn't getting anywhere asking for help here, I did some more research on boot issues, specifically with HP ProBooks, and it seems that there is a known bug. I've just found a post (Again on booting with UEFI, by mauromol) started on July ,13, 2011!!! I followed that to a bug report (launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1309395) and might have found a solution! Looks like I have to make a customized boot in the BIOS, then move it up to toe top of the boot list, above 'OS Boot Manager'.

I'll give it a go and report back.
Picasso01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Picasso01 »

Final report:
Unfortunately, I have to admit defeat. This HP ProBook was always a poorly built laptop and the keyboard kept coming loose, so I've used a Bluetooth one since it was about a year old. However, in BIOS mode, only the built in keyboard is recognized, which means I can use the arrow keys, enter, Esc and some F keys, as well as the touch pad and left / right click. I can't type in the customized boot path.

As I've said before, it's an old machine from 2018 that I just want to use as a home entertainment center, I'm not throwing any money at it, so looks like I'll just have to live with the workaround boot up. It's awkward and clunky, as I really wanted to put the laptop on a shelf above the screen, just using the Bluetooth keyboard, but that isn't an option.

For anyone suffering the same bug on HP ProBooks, there is a patch available from Microsoft, so if you have partitioned the HD and have dual boot available, you should be able to fix it.

Thanks again to everyone who tried to help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”