Is this malware? Firefox related.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kunkle
Level 1
Level 1

Is this malware? Firefox related.

Post by Kunkle »

Hi all,

I use Mint 20.3 cinnamon. Earlier, using Firefox browser, I went onto the Gov.uk website to check the MOT history of a vehicle. When I clicked through to the page where the car plate number is entered, it asked me to tick a box saying "I am a human". I use this page quite a lot, and even until yesterday I'd never seen this. It happened today for the first time.

I often see captchas, and they're no problem. But this one said "why are you seeing this?" and it said "because your system is possibly infected with malware". I've never seen this explanation before. So I'm a little concerned. In several years of using Mint, I've never once seen anything suspicious like this.

Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do? Clamv appears to be a pile of excrement.

Thanks in advance.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is this malware? Firefox related.

Post by kc1di »

I'm not sure I'd put much stock in their sight but just in case this page from Linux Security may be helpful.
https://linuxsecurity.com/features/the- ... or-malware
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Kunkle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:06 am ... I use this page quite a lot, and even until yesterday I'd never seen this.
Hi Kunkle.

I don't worry about it. I never used to get it either but as I'm looking at buying a new, to me, bike I've been using it a lot over the last month and, as with you, started getting asked if I'm human. I didn't bother reading the warning as I assume that as I'm not using Windows or MacOS that their security has become confused.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

Websites (developers) seem to get very confused by Linux browsers. I use a few sites that have an option to "remember me on this device", which works until the next Firefox update, then I have to go through the whole process again.

Also some captcha implementations are lenient if you're logged into Google (for example, in another tab) and the cookies are visible so the captcha sees that you're a human and you get to bypass it. If you're remotely careful with security and privacy, you end up having to prove yourself much more.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

Its based on your decision to keep cookies or not
Keep It Simple Sweetheart
Kunkle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kunkle »

Thanks all.

I have Firefox set up to delete cookies after every session. So perhaps it might be related to this.

Aside from this warning, there is no other unusual behaviour across the rest of my system.
MintMagoo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MintMagoo »

It is an indication that the site is infected by the AH virus, usually upper management.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

stevengarland wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:54 am Its based on your decision to keep cookies or not
Kunkle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:10 pm Thanks all.

I have Firefox set up to delete cookies after every session. So perhaps it might be related to this
So do I, so thanks go to Steven.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

But this one said "why are you seeing this?" and it said "because your system is possibly infected with malware".
Yeah I'm siding with MintMagoo on this one. that's a phishing tactic. Don't fall for that crap
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Kunkle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kunkle »

motoryzen wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:34 pm
But this one said "why are you seeing this?" and it said "because your system is possibly infected with malware".
Yeah I'm siding with MintMagoo on this one. that's a phishing tactic. Don't fall for that crap
Do you mean don't tick the captcha box? Because I did, once.
_tab
Level 3
Level 3

Post by _tab »

I get this all of the time as using a 4G connection, often you seen in their privacy statement they want to verify your IP address - Gov web sites especially or financial sites like London Stock Exchange.

If using a VPN or incognito mode may trigger these to make sure its not bot scraping data, just a guess.
_tab
Level 3
Level 3

Post by _tab »

Here's a great working example, just edited a post on here but message came back as IP blacklisted.

Unsure as to exact algo but obviously something in common with spam as it listed a spam detection service also.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Kunkle wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:04 am Do you mean don't tick the captcha box? Because I did, once.
Hi Kunkle.

There’s plenty of info from gov.uk*, e.g.

https://www.gov.uk/service-manual/techn ... g-captchas

https://your-defra-account.defra.gov.uk/cookies

If you want to find out a bit more, then;

Your rights

You have the right to:

object to GDS processing your personal data where we rely on legitimate interest

You also have the right to request:

information about how your personal data is processed
a copy of that personal data
that anything inaccurate in your personal data is corrected without undue delay

You can also:

request that your personal data is erased if there is no longer a justification for it
ask that the processing of your personal data is restricted in certain circumstances

If your personal data is processed on the basis of a contract that you have with GDS, you also have the right to:

request a copy of your personal data. We will deliver your data in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format to enable portability.

For more information about your rights, read advice from the Information Commissioner’s Office.

https://www.payments.service.gov.uk/recaptcha-notice/

My own view is that if I want the service being offered then I use it. As with you I then delete all cookies, which may, of course, be making a mountain out of a molehill.

* there are also plenty of other opinions on the internet – my own, I’ve read both sides and am aware of the issues, so it’s up to me.

Return to “Software & Applications”