Use PC as a sim router

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joper35
Level 1
Level 1

Use PC as a sim router

Post by joper35 »

Hi to everyone,

I would like to know if is possible to use a pc as a router

It will have internet access through a cellphone via USB port,
I wanna connect it to a router/switcth_layer3 below it and give internet to my whole home net

I think its possible but not sure, I have read a few about it, plz tell me if it is possible not to spend many hour in vain.

I would thank any extra hint where to look.

I use LMDE6

TYVM
Jose
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: "LMDE 6": thread moved from "main edition" to "LMDE forums"
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Use PC as a sim router

Post by wallaroo »

It should just be a matter of making the PC with the phone internet access a 'proxy server' and have all the other devices pointing to it through the router.
The common proxy server software is 'Squid' which you can install and configure on the PC.
There are plenty of articles available on how to set up a squid proxy server.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Use PC as a sim router

Post by coffee412 »

You can (I do) setup firewalld or UFW your firewall to redirect and share your network connection to all the devices connected to your local network. You will want to setup ip_forwarding and ipmasq.

On my debian server I use firewalld with a GUI front end (firewall-config) and you setup everything from there. You will need two network cards though in order to do this. One for the internet connection and one for the local network.

While squid is good stuff I think that as far as setting up networking it doesnt have much to do with that. I think it runs in the middle filtering what can and shouldnt go out to the internet (and back). Ive not used squid but as far as proxies go I think thats the basic idea.

If you check around on the internet there are some really good guides on how to do this.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

Return to “Networking”