never in foreground?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hd66
Level 2
Level 2

never in foreground?

Post by hd66 »

hello

sometimes, it happens, when i use my system, to have various interruptions, meanwhile im already doing something (eg writing on LO, drawing on gimp..) :

-the file explorer opens automatically when a storage drive is plugged
-popup asking for the wifi code, when wireless has disconnected, incorrect key or just the AP is too far
-if a software doesnt responds, a popup appears, in foreground, asking : "wait or close it?", with the red button for closing frozen program, selected by default.

it reminds me a bit ios, when you have an application opened, and you want to go back in the app : logically, the "previous" button is top-left located, just under the top notification bar. But here that just before touching the previous button, a notification appears, and this just before you "click". So you do so, but just knowing you had miss the previous button, and get the app from notification, opened (which you didnt wanted) cause you clicked too late.

or, another thing : on win10, when session opened, if the computer doesnt connects immediately to wifi. You open the list of wifi nearby, see your, move the mouse on the right network, and just at the second you click on the "connect" to the wireless network, windows thought it's the perfect time to react and do it itself, so just at the second before you push the left click on "connect" button, system connects itself and transforms it as a "disconnect" button, as logicial. But it was a matter of less than a second, so you finally click on the "disconnect" instead of connect one..

here, on my nux : having a firefox, libreoffice and gimp opened, it happens that with several running programs, activities or documents, that the linux yell over by his famous popup window, eg im writing on LO or gimping : well, firefox (in background then) doesnt responds : "do you want to wait or close the program?", nicely asked, but with the red "close" button preselected, means at the default choice. As it appears when im writing or doing something else, meanwhile im writing i presse space (i use highly much more the keyboard than mouse) to separate words in LO, but i just figure out that it didnt worked into my LO nor my gimp (yes, it happens that i validate some manips in gimp with space/enter), but into the just-less-than-two-seconds-just-appeared-popup-window asking for close the program or just wait.

obviously, several times a day, that popup appears when i use the keyboard especially at that time, and few times per week it thus closes a waiting program in background while i was not planned to get it close, but just because that popup came in top-foreground, as usual, and i hates when it does it.

qusetion, is :
is there a way to avoid completely a such thing ?
i use daily linux mint (debian) and openbsd, and id like to know if there is a solution, with wayland/xorg, to get newer/recently opened windows never appears in foreground automatically..

i always have taskbar or alt/tab to get any window, so i would enjoy having never any program in foreground..
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Re: never in foreground?

Post by axisofevil »

Usually caused by a web page having a load of javascript which is either running too slowly or possibly will never end.
Intensive GIMP on a under-powered or low-memory system in conjunction with a complex web page would be a common cause of the problem.

You can't fix it by just hiding the notifications.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: never in foreground?

Post by JerryF »

hd66 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:04 am ...
-the file explorer opens automatically when a storage drive is plugged
This one can be solved by going to Settings, Removable drives and media, and unchecking a few checkboxes.

Return to “Software & Applications”