And another one gets put on my refuse to use list !!!

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Newbie221
Level 1
Level 1

And another one gets put on my refuse to use list !!!

Post by Newbie221 »

A few days ago I went to update some documents of mine on a computer I do not use all the time. My documents folder currently is synced using One Drive. (That’s changing hopefully soon) I open WPS Office as usual and start inputting information. I hit the save button and I get a pop up stating I need to sign into WPS Online for this function to work. So I go grab my main computer open it and everything works as usual. Being short on time I did what I needed to do saved it and it uploaded to One Drive.

Later that night I get both laptops out to figure out why I got the pop up message. Well guess what, I’ve been signed into WPS for almost 2 months and didn’t know it. I had to do a sign in with an update that came about. When I was done doing the update and declined the offers they were pushing I signed out. Turns out that update included a default setting sign in provision that automatically signs you in when you open WPS. And, under their new terms and agreement you must be signed in to have the full functionality of their software.

Needless to say my feelings on that subject matter. Looks like I’ll be using Libre Office after all once I’ve completed my switch to Linux.

So I precede to double check all documents are updated and backed up in One Drive. I then uninstall WPS from my computer. Side note, Revo Uninstaller is a great tool to rid everything from uninstalled applications. I then proceed to install Libre Office. Open up Calc and Writer to check things out, do a little testing and get a feel for a new layout. I then decide to open the spreadsheet I was working on earlier. It won’t open, I’m furious….. again ! About 20 minutes later I finally discover when syncing, WPS converts their file format to an ET designation instead of leaving it in the WPS file format that is compatible with MS Office. I can’t even sign into One Drive online and open them. Wow, I’m really furious now. After a short cooling period I open my other computer that still has WPS on it. I sign into WPS and everything is working as it should. I then wonder what would happen if my documents were saved in a Microsoft file format. I create a test document save it, sync it and signed out of WPS. Got back on the other laptop that’s still logged into One Drive. I find the document in the One Drive folder and click on it and it opens. Closed and logged out, then opened it up from the computer. All is good.

The next morning I convert all necessary documents over to MS Office, delete the ET/WPS files, uninstall WPS from the second computer, install Libre to it and all is good again. Everything working as it should with the newly installed Libre software.

What I just had to go though is completely unacceptable. (I've left a lot of details out to make a long story shorter) Sure I could have sucked it up and switch everything over to the WPS cloud service and everything would have been fine. But, that’s exactly what I’m trying to rid myself of. I don’t want to be forced online, I don’t want to use cloud services and I don’t wish to be forced into agreements that change after the fact, as they did here. No..... I do not agree to your new terms and shame on me for not figuring this out when I updated the software.

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Re: And another one gets put on my refuse to use list !!!

Post by motoryzen »

Turns out that update included a default setting sign in provision that automatically signs you in when you open WPS. And, under their new terms and agreement you must be signed in to have the full functionality of their software.
Microsoft pulling a shady and morally wrong tactic...shocker. In other news, water is wet.

Just think...some people wonder why more and more people...slowly but surely... are leaving the Micro"we own your PC..not you"Soft world in favor of Linux ..where it may not be perfect..but at least YOU..the individual....have full control over what is supposed to be your PC.

Type of nonsense you just went through is the same level of asininity I faced, only worse considering I had to threaten to get a lawyer just to defend myself from a lawfirm who claimed I cause a problem but at the core microSOFT's own idiot servers caused the open door of i.d theft against me and My i.d was used for harmful purposes - back in 2017 the last time I tried to use a MS account to log into windows 10 - .

It is just one more reminder of why July 28 2020 is THE happiest day of my computing life..when I ditched that abomination of an OS world dependency for Mint Cinnamon 20.

There is nothing in a nerd's world more....freeing ..than finally freeing what is supposed to be HIS own PC from the clutches of a constantly lying, hypocritical, thieving software... tyrant.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

If you need a cloud hosted apps, you could try self hosting it with an open source solution such as Nextcloud. It will take some setup but in the end you own everything so no EULA rufies.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:21 pm Microsoft pulling a shady and morally wrong tactic...shocker.
WPS is NOT a Microsoft product. It's owned by a Chinese company. So you have to be signed in to use it? Get your daily dose of spying in. :?
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Quickbooks tried to pull that crap on me. I intentionally paid a lot more for the desktop 2018 pro version because I had no plans of putting my business data online. In 2019 when it was time to do my taxes, I went to pull up my company file before my meeting with our tax guy. Quickbooks refused to allow me to access my local data until I set up an online account. I tried for 15 minutes then the phone rang. My time was up, and I was forced to create an online account. After my meeting, I went back online, and found lots of pissed off people that couldn't access their local data. The biggest middle finger from QB was I had my software set up to not even connect to the web or to run auto updates. They disregarded my settings and did it anyway. That's the crap I expect from MS, not someone I paid $400+ to.

That was the moment I truly dove into the FOSS world. I found Manager which did everything I needed QB to do. That next two weeks I spent entering years worth of data into Manager and ran that on win until 2023 then I made the switch to Linux and I'm running the appimage of Manager and using the same win data file.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I hear you loud and clear on the *ull*hit that is happening in the software world.

Just today I had to setup a new laptop for a client that had win11pro on it. During the first boot up it refused to go any further in the setup until I put it online to the internet. On win10 I could just select "I do not have internet". However, Now it seems win11 does not offer that. So, I had to get it online. Then it was trying to force me to create a MS account. Finally after fiddling around with it I found that if you select domain login you can create the local account and finish the setup.

Its a real pile of *hit.

I honestly feel bad for people that are not up on all this and just trying to use a new laptop. They end up creating a MS account and then of course never remember their login. Then MS goes into their Office365 and Edge dance. Its really a sick experience. I wanted to vomit.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Schultz wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:09 pmWPS is NOT a Microsoft product. It's owned by a Chinese company. So you have to be signed in to use it? Get your daily dose of spying in. :?
WPS Office is an office suite for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, Fire OS and HarmonyOS developed by Zhuhai-based Chinese software developer Kingsoft. It also comes pre-installed on Fire tablets. WPS Office is made up of three primary components: WPS Writer, WPS Presentation, and WPS Spreadsheet.

According to Wiki
Newbie221
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newbie221 »

diyliberty wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:56 pm If you need a cloud hosted apps, you could try self hosting it with an open source solution such as Nextcloud. It will take some setup but in the end you own everything so no EULA rufies.
Thank you for the suggestion.
I've been considering a localized cloud solution that runs off my wifi router. However I don't think I want a drive hooked up and running 24/7.
I've also been looking at Syncthing.
If all fails I'll just start carrying a thumb drive.

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
Newbie221
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newbie221 »

TaterChip wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:23 pm Quickbooks refused to allow me to access my local data until I set up an online account.
I see this as a form of ransomware. Possibly even breech of contract. Changing the terms of agreement after the sale to me is a criminal act. They held your data hostage until forced compliance was rendered.

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

In a (very slight) defence of Quickbooks.
They had issues with pirated copies of their software floating around on sites like Pirate Bay.
I imagine that requiring all users to 'touch base' was an attempt to identify these hacked copies and stop their use. The completely innocent always end up paying part of the price in these situations..

It is a complex application, the creators deserve recompense for their efforts, it is unfair (not to mention illegal) to use such a product without paying.

However, don't get me wrong, personally, It would have to be the only solution to my problem before I would use something like Quickbooks.

WPS is another can of worms completely.
Personally, I wouldn't touch that product with a barge pole - but, luckily, there are very good alternatives available..
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Newbie221 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:51 pm The next morning I convert all necessary documents over to MS Office, delete the ET/WPS files, uninstall WPS from the second computer, install Libre to it and all is good again. Everything working as it should with the newly installed Libre software.
I did try WPS office a while back, wasn't a fan. As a +30 year user of word/excel wasn't happy with the UI in libre office - set in my ways. If you want something that looks more like word/excel the best look-a-like I've found is softmaker office, it's German in origin.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

coffee412 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:49 pm I hear you loud and clear on the *ull*hit that is happening in the software world.
The other day I got an email from Quickbooks thanks to them holding my business data hostage, telling me that my version of QB is no longer supported and they graciously gave me the link to how I could purchase the newest version so I could be protected.

The resulting tirade made the worst bad guy in film seem like a kitten. In the off chance the email address was monitored, I let them plainly know why I would NEVER own any of the Intuit products in the future and what they could do with themselves.
Just today I had to setup a new laptop for a client that had win11pro on it. During the first boot up it refused to go any further in the setup until I put it online to the internet. On win10 I could just select "I do not have internet". However, Now it seems win11 does not offer that. So, I had to get it online. Then it was trying to force me to create a MS account. Finally after fiddling around with it I found that if you select domain login you can create the local account and finish the setup.

Its a real pile of *hit.

I honestly feel bad for people that are not up on all this and just trying to use a new laptop. They end up creating a MS account and then of course never remember their login. Then MS goes into their Office365 and Edge dance. Its really a sick experience. I wanted to vomit.
After 30+ years, win11 is what pushed me head first into the Linux world. I refused to bow down to that much spying by microsoft. I physically went in on my win10 machine and deleted all EXEs that were tied to spying and deleted them. I also deleted the ability to update so Microsoft couldn't put them back. The best thing I've ever done is switch to linux. I'm to the point now that I don't miss it, and I'm sure I can make it under the Linux ecosystem thanks to the Mint team.

In the coming days I will be taking the NVme that I removed from that win11 machine and the one from my win10 machine and formatting them to EXT4 so I can reclaim them. I think I'm going to put LMDE6 on the win11 so I can play around with it on real hardware without messing up my 21.1 that is set up and working.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Newbie221 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:37 pm
TaterChip wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:23 pm Quickbooks refused to allow me to access my local data until I set up an online account.
I see this as a form of ransomware. Possibly even breech of contract. Changing the terms of agreement after the sale to me is a criminal act. They held your data hostage until forced compliance was rendered.

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
agreed. And I found a FOSS QB replacement the same day, and also banned QB from connecting to the web through my firewall settings. Their short sightedness cost them thousands. I was looking at adding Bookkeeping services to my business restructure after my stroke. Unfortunately all my research points to using QBO (Quickbooks Online) as a bookkeeper. I get ill thinking about that prospect.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am headed towards that rock and a hard place in regards to Windows 11. My current machine will not support it, but Windows 10 support ends in a year. I need certain Windows programs, and that has put me in a bind. I already use LibreOffice on all my computers in lieu of Microsoft Office by preference, but I discovered that if you install a Microsoft Office product later than 2013, you cannot install it, or use it without a Microsoft Account being active. How horrid, and I suspect illegal but no one can beat them in court.

I had not heard of WPS office, but I am glad to have read this thread, and I will stick with LibreOffice. It does what I need it to do, and works just fine, I keep it updated to the very latest and greatest versions.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:57 am I am headed towards that rock and a hard place in regards to Windows 11. My current machine will not support it, but Windows 10 support ends in a year. I need certain Windows programs, and that has put me in a bind. I already use LibreOffice on all my computers in lieu of Microsoft Office by preference, but I discovered that if you install a Microsoft Office product later than 2013, you cannot install it, or use it without a Microsoft Account being active. How horrid, and I suspect illegal but no one can beat them in court.

I had not heard of WPS office, but I am glad to have read this thread, and I will stick with LibreOffice. It does what I need it to do, and works just fine, I keep it updated to the very latest and greatest versions.
It's probably possible to neuter win11, I just didn't want to take the time. Win12 with built in AI is a whole other can of worms that I would never accept.

I'm old enough to remember tracking data with multi-column ledgers and a calculator. I'd go back to that before bowing down before win12.

While probably not the best option... My win11 machine was purchased to replaced a win7 machine that finally died. If you can keep your win10 disconnected from the web then EOL may not matter. Although, I tend to live dangerously. The last time my windows machines were allowed to update was 2012 (when they changed win7 machines to win8 machines with a forced update while people slept). I didn't switch to Linux until 2023. I just bumped up my firewall and AV software and prayed for the best. I knew that MS would screw me, I hoped I could block everyone else.

As to the software that you need. Would it be possible to run them in a win10 VM so your core system is protected even if win10 is EOL?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

TaterChip wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:21 am If you can keep your win10 disconnected from the web then EOL may not matter.
I have win7 in a VM, never goes near the internet, now only used for visio and not very often.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am not sure, since I use Steam to game, iTunes for music, along with Photoshop and TurboTax. So I suspect I will have to remain on the net, but I might just never use a browser or email on the Windows 10 system.
Newbie221
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newbie221 »

Finally got a response from the e-mail I sent !!!

"Hello,
Thank you for using WPS Office!
Sorry for the inconvenience for new change with the new version.
We have forwarded your feedback on to our development team.
We here at WPS Office are always working to expand our offerings, and your feedback helps us to provide you with the best possible product."

Sorry for your inconvenience ....... gee thank you very much for being sorry for my inconvenience. Forced compliance is just an inconvenience folks !
But comply you will if you want your data. But don't worry they'll notify the development team.
The audacity of these companies never cease to amaze me.

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

That's why I use softmaker office. Raised a bug/issue, next email was "we have fixed it".
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Newbie221 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:51 pm Finally got a response from the e-mail I sent !!!

"Hello,
Thank you for using WPS Office!
Sorry for the inconvenience for new change with the new version.
We have forwarded your feedback on to our development team.
We here at WPS Office are always working to expand our offerings, and your feedback helps us to provide you with the best possible product."

Sorry for your inconvenience ....... gee thank you very much for being sorry for my inconvenience. Forced compliance is just an inconvenience folks !
But comply you will if you want your data. But don't worry they'll notify the development team.
The audacity of these companies never cease to amaze me.

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
They had some big brass ones to write that email. I'm with you, forced compliance isn't an inconvenience. Thank you for putting this company on my radar. Occasionally, I look for writing programs for my phone. And I have yet to find one better than a 2020 version of MS Word. I wont even download WPS now.

Return to “Open Chat”