hi...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chefbobBTW
Level 1
Level 1

hi...

Post by chefbobBTW »

I don't usually talk online much, however but me finally switching to Linux Mint, and seeing the introduce yourself category with a ton of nice people, I've finally built up a little courage to speak online. So far, Linux Mint is much more stable and smooth, even coming from a PC with an RX 580 Ryzen 3 4100 and 32gb ram, Windows was very not pleasant. I have went in the past from Linux back to Windows back to Linux etc. because I didn't really know what I wanted from an operating system, and as a High School tech nerd, Linux really fits my needs, I also love gaming and to my surprise, Linux handles it pretty well. I chose to type in this forum to see if people had the same interests as me because I'm very different from everyone around me. Anyways, I typed more than I should've, so all that's left to say is have a great day.

Main PC Specs,
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 4100
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Stock Cooler
GPU: ARDIYES RX 580 8GB
OC: None
PSU: Corsair TX 750W Power Supply
RAM: OLOy DDR4 RAM 32GB (2x16)
Motherboard: MSI A520M Pro
NVMe: 256GB SSD M.2 2242 PCIe 3.0x4 NVMe
SATA: Fikwot FN203 1TB M.2 SATA SSD
TitForTat
Level 1
Level 1
Location: Germany - thats where "Lederhosen" and "Bratwurst" is from!

Re: hi...

Post by TitForTat »

Welcome to the forums :D

Your PC is quite Linux friendly being all AMD and not the most recent hardware. With regular Mint or the Edge Edition, you should have a very good experience ootb. As I do like gaming as well (full AMD system), I was pleasantly surprised how well and frictionless my steam games worked (especially Windows only titles using Proton). Fedora gave me better results performance wise but other issues in return. Overall, I still saw a 10-20 fps difference in favor for Windows. But considering how war Linux has come in terms of gaming and ootb performance, Linux is in a spot where it can replace Windows for good (even for sweaty gamers). :lol:

If you use high refresh rate monitors, you have to do a bit more in X11 to get your 120/144Hz. Most of the time, it is not supported ootb by the displays gui tool. You have to do some work in the terminal for that. There are good tutorial online on how to configure your system to get 120/144Hz on X11. On Wayland, I had at least 120Hz ootb with no extra efforts beeing needed. Wayland on Mint is still experimental though!!!

Cheers and all the best!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello chefbobBTW,
Welcome to the Linux Mint forum. Enjoy the Journey! :)
if your new to Linux I would take a look at this site.
https://linuxjourney.com
Cheers!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”