[Solved] Photos not showing if custom folder is not on boot drive

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ThomasAn
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Photos not showing if custom folder is not on boot drive

Post by ThomasAn »

On Settings-->Backgrounds there's a list of built-in wallpaper folders. They work fine.
However, if I press the '+' button to add a custom folder and that folder is not on the boot drive (there's a second nvme data SSD on my system), then no pictures are shown.

Any idea what might be the cause of this ?
Last edited by ThomasAn on Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Photos not showing if custom folder is not on boot drive

Post by xenopeek »

How have you mounted the 2nd SSD? Is it configured as a permanently attached storage through /etc/fstab? I.e., you haven't mounted it to /media or /mnt -- special directories for temporary attached storage. Not sure that is the cause but removable storage is treated special by the system so this could explain it.
ThomasAn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThomasAn »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:41 am How have you mounted the 2nd SSD? Is it configured as a permanently attached storage through /etc/fstab? I.e., you haven't mounted it to /media or /mnt -- special directories for temporary attached storage. Not sure that is the cause but removable storage is treated special by the system so this could explain it.
I believe so. I undid the Mint default and found instructions to make the drives permanent. So the SSD are no longer showing on the left panel (as media) or at the taskbar tray (that usually asks to remove media). The drive's are now mounted on a unique directory "/drv" and took care of the permissions prior to mounting the volume.

This is the line I used in the fstab.

Code: Select all

UUID=9692BA3012BC9028 /drv/nvme1 ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,dmask=027,fmask=137,uid=1000,gid=1000,windows_names 0 0
It seems to be doing something good, because the trashbin now works flawlessly (otherwise deleting files on removable volumes would pop up a dialogue asking to delete immediately, because the trashbin is not an option)
ThomasAn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ThomasAn »

Follow up.

This is solved. I've been working on some other issues with the installation of Mint, that I had to reinstall the OS a couple of times since I opened this question. Today when I try this it works, as long as the folder you select contains the images in it directly (so, it will not recursively look for images in sub-folders)

Return to “Cinnamon”