Sound stopped working after fresh install of LM 21.3 on Apple hardware

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
David B
Level 1
Level 1

Sound stopped working after fresh install of LM 21.3 on Apple hardware

Post by David B »

I had this problem on my MacBook and my (relatively) ancient iMac, loading 21.3 from a USB stick in both cases. None of the many suggestions on the various forums worked for me. What did work however was starting up in 'compatibility mode'. So far I've only verified this on the iMac, not the MacBook. I've no idea what compatibility mode does and I'm a bit reluctant to do a full install in case the problem comes back. I'd appreciate any advice on this...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Sound stopped working after fresh install of LM 21.3 on Apple hardware

Post by SMG »

David B wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:27 pm I had this problem on my MacBook and my (relatively) ancient iMac, loading 21.3 from a USB stick in both cases. None of the many suggestions on the various forums worked for me. What did work however was starting up in 'compatibility mode'. So far I've only verified this on the iMac, not the MacBook. I've no idea what compatibility mode does and I'm a bit reluctant to do a full install in case the problem comes back. I'd appreciate any advice on this...
Welcome to the forum, David B.

Compatibility mode disables the graphics driver.

Please boot to a live session and open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Sound”