Even more reasons for me to dislike Lenovo

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Even more reasons for me to dislike Lenovo

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

As if there weren't already enough reasons for me to never buy a Lenovo, Louis Rossman comes up with some more. Warning! He really gets riled up in this one. :lol: https://youtu.be/Ahw1cppZi-g
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Even more reasons for me to dislike Lenovo

Post by Dullard du Jour »

Oh my, he is lit up!! :lol: :lol: I loved it when he said "or if you are insane, you can compile from a stage one tarball". The guy is 100 percent correct about Lenova. :D
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

He is fired up, I will give him that. But Lenovo has made a few mis-steps in the past as well.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Lenovo Chromebook 100e blow one of the chips on the board.
Yes, a bunch of them from a school out in the workshop with blown boards.
trike lady
Level 2
Level 2

Post by trike lady »

I'm glad I purchased the Dell E6440, as it was a toss up with a 15.6 Lenovo from the reseller as it too had an optical drive. None of mine came with a virus, but then I did remove the hard drive with Windows10 :lol: . I do remember reading that Lenovo had spy-ware in their laptops.
Dell E6530 with LM20.3 Cinnamon
Dell E6410 with W7
Dell E6510 retired
Dell E6440 with LM21.3 Cinnamon
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

link to the offending lenovo page :
https://www.lenovo.com/ph/en/faqs/lapto ... d-laptops/

what a load of crap! :twisted:

The Lenovo Superfish scandal:
https://slate.com/technology/2015/02/le ... -ever.html
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I did not read ANY of the links, but like usual you are putting the hate on an entire company because of one product.
I have a few "Lenovo" products, all Thinkpads, mostly "T" series, and one "X" series laptops, They are fine products and are recommended by many on this forum by myself for one, and AndyMH from England, who has the utmost respect on this forum.

You can have a hate for Amazon, best buy...what ever, but grouping all Lenovo products together is wrong.

I do get it, and have seen "lots" of the "cheap" Lenovo chromebook selling on ebay for next to nothing...that should tell you something. But it is cretainly NOT true on all Lenovo products.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

rickNS wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:39 pm I did not read ANY of the links, but like usual you are putting the hate on an entire company because of one product.
I have a few "Lenovo" products, all Thinkpads, mostly "T" series, and one "X" series laptops, They are fine products and are recommended by many on this forum by myself for one, and AndyMH from England, who has the utmost respect on this forum.

You can have a hate for Amazon, best buy...what ever, but grouping all Lenovo products together is wrong.

I do get it, and have seen "lots" of the "cheap" Lenovo chromebook selling on ebay for next to nothing...that should tell you something. But it is cretainly NOT true on all Lenovo products.
You should read the links before making comments on something you don't know about. The first one, for example, was about the company, not any particular products. Same for the one about Superfish.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:28 pm
You should read the links before making comments on something you don't know about.
I know about the title of the thread, "dislike Lenovo" and previous "blanket" type statements you make, like don't buy from company a, or b.

Like many here I won't click on a Youtube link, in anyone's thread.

There are plenty of good things about Lenovo, you are entitled to your opinion, I (and others) am entitled to mine...are not I?
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

I also have several Lenovos and like the hardware. But they still deserve criticism when they display anti-consumer behavior
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

rickNS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:41 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:28 pm
You should read the links before making comments on something you don't know about.
I know about the title of the thread, "dislike Lenovo" and previous "blanket" type statements you make, like don't buy from company a, or b.

Like many here I won't click on a Youtube link, in anyone's thread.

There are plenty of good things about Lenovo, you are entitled to your opinion, I (and others) am entitled to mine...are not I?
I have no problem if you choose not to click on certain links in a thread, be it for security reasons, sheer orneriness, or whatever. And of course you are entitled to your opinion, be it wrong or right. However, you have no business attacking anyone on something you don't know anything about because you didn't read or watch what was linked in the thread. Because of your willful ignorance of what was discussed in the videos, your comments here were completely wrong making you look foolish, not to mention slanderous.

Also, your attack on me here is hypocritical. You are guilty of doing the very thing you accuse me of doing; making a blanket statement based on some of my previous posts you have read in the past (and apparently didn't fully understand why I made them).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The battery DRM was an unhappy point for me on Lenovo devices. Especially since they discontinue the battery very quickly (or so it seems). I really like the looks of the X1 Carbon, but I just cannot justify it with the DRM battery, and soldered in ram.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:13 pm attacking
What attack ?

All I said in the first reply was that there are people here who Like Lenovo, and recommend the t and x series (the business class laptops).

I certainly called no one any names like, orneriness, ignorance, foolish, not to mention slanderous.

And FWIW that stuff NEVER affected the business class laptops,
the following models of Lenovo laptops between September 2014 and February 2015 are eligible for compensation via this settlement:

G Series: G410, G510, G710, G40-70, G50-70, G40-30, G50-30, G50-45
U Series: U430P, U430 Touch, U530 Touch
Y Series: Y40-70, Y50-70
Z Series: Z50-75, Z40-70, Z50-70
Flex Series: Flex 2 14D, Flex 2 15D, Flex 2 14, Flex 2 15, Flex 2 15(BTM), Flex 10
MIIX Series: MIIX 2-10, MIIX 2-11
YOGA Series: YOGA 2 Pro-13, YOGA 2-13, YOGA 2-11BTM, YOGA 2-11HSW
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

rickNS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:41 amLike many here I won't click on a Youtube link, in anyone's thread.
ivar's links weren't Youtube links, especially the Superfish thread.

Lenovo Chromebooks blowing a chip is simply bad design and from a small school I've had to chuck a number of them.

Question - what is wrong with a Youtube link?
Especially one given by someone on this discussion forum.
What is wrong with Youtube?
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

RollyShed wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:07 pm
rickNS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:41 amLike many here I won't click on a Youtube link, in anyone's thread.
ivar's links weren't Youtube links, especially the Superfish thread.

Lenovo Chromebooks blowing a chip is simply bad design and from a small school I've had to chuck a number of them.

Question - what is wrong with a Youtube link?
Especially one given by someone on this discussion forum.
What is wrong with Youtube?
My guess is because it's owned by Google and, for that, I wouldn't blame him. I use Youtube for random surfing but, since I refuse to have an account with them (for security reasons), I do my video subscriptions with Freetube.
Jeannie

ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

rickNS wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:39 pm I did not read ANY of the links,
too bad, now lenovo have removed the text that elicited the video from Rossman.

some of it still visible in search results though:
https://www.lenovo.com › us › en › faqs › laptop-faqs › used-laptops
Used Laptops: Essential Factors to Consider | Lenovo US
With so many affordable laptop options from top manufacturers such as Lenovo, the risk you run by purchasing a used laptop is often too high to justify buying a used laptop. With a new laptop, you receive not only brand-new equipment, but also service and support as part of the accompanying
YOGA Series: YOGA 2 Pro-13, YOGA 2-13, YOGA 2-11BTM, YOGA 2-11HSW
Our supplier happily sold us some of the above for business use. (I know, not Lenovo's fault) Actually writing this on one of the Yoga 2 Pro's right now :mrgreen:
Newbie221
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newbie221 »

That video is a prime example of why I follow Louis Rossman ...... :lol:

With all do respect, rickNS your engaging in something that you admittedly have no clue of the context at hand.
Louise's rant is deserving and that's coming from a guy who's owned a promoted the ThinkPad for years.

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

RickNS,
I own a Lenovo Y50-70 mentioned in your note.
Can you please direct me to a link so I too can be compensated?
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:48 pm RickNS,
I own a Lenovo Y50-70 mentioned in your note.
Can you please direct me to a link so I too can be compensated?
Settlement closed 4 years ago.
Ancient history, this story is.
Top Class Actions | January 11, 2019
Category: Closed Class Actions
The one fact that seems to be missing from all the FUD is how many "actually" had any "damages" ? In the 9-10 years since, I have not heard of anyone being compromised, or suffering "damages". Like a lot of things this was also described as "a potential vulnerability".
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Newbie221 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:58 pm That video is a prime example of why I follow Louis Rossman ...... :lol:

With all do respect, rickNS your engaging in something that you admittedly have no clue of the context at hand.
Louise's rant is deserving and that's coming from a guy who's owned a promoted the ThinkPad for years.
I tend to only worry about things that are worth worrying about.
And I don't follow the rantings of random youtubers.
This is where you will find Louis Rossmann rants, bike rides, drives, and random walks around town. There is no point to this channel.
Last edited by SMG on Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to comply with forum rules.

Return to “Open Chat”