3.77% market share

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Newbie221
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 3.77% market share

Post by Newbie221 »

I would pose the question as too how many of those Linux users also have a Windows machine ???

And the next question would be how many of those switching will be headed back to windows when they realize it's easier.
Fact is most people do not want to do the things that are required in Linux. They want to buy a new computer take it home plug it in and answer the questions in the setup GUI. Done computer up and running. Funny thing is, I've done that for people too lazy to figure that much out.

Personally I'd love to see a distro take off and become a dominant force. That just ain't going to happen without a group getting behind a distro, marketing it, having units for purchase ready to go and servicing it the way MS and Apple do.

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Newbie221 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:32 pm I would pose the question as too how many of those Linux users also have a Windows machine ???

And the next question would be how many of those switching will be headed back to windows when they realize it's easier.
Fact is most people do not want to do the things that are required in Linux. They want to buy a new computer take it home plug it in and answer the questions in the setup GUI. Done computer up and running. Funny thing is, I've done that for people too lazy to figure that much out.

Personally I'd love to see a distro take off and become a dominant force. That just ain't going to happen without a group getting behind a distro, marketing it, having units for purchase ready to go and servicing it the way MS and Apple do.

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
You are most likely right. At least now there is THREE manufactures building and selling machines with Linux already installed, so at least it's a start.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I have three (well four but I do not count the Windows 11 laptop) 1 desktop and two NUCS which are attached to the TV. Then one Linux desktop, and four Linux laptops.
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

I use a Firestick
MikeNovember
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MikeNovember »

Hi,

About kernels:

- Linux is just the kernel; Linux Mint has a kernel, some GNU executables and libraries, a desktop environment, a python interpreter, GUI and CLI programs...

- Android also uses a kernel; its kernel is not under the control of Linus Torvald and cannot be called Linux; there are works to increase the common parts in Linux and in Android kernel. Android is not a full OpenSource operating system: like with a Linux distro Android is not limited to its kernel, there are other layers, including some coming from Microsoft and Google that are not OpenSource, and most applications are not.

- Not all Unix systems use a kernel: BSD based systems don't have a kernel; MacOS uses an open source part called Darwin, based on BSD. MacOS is a kind of 'Nix without kernel; most of GNU command line executables and libraries are available, and missing ones can be added with brew; syntax is the same as GNU in Linux distros.
Apple 'Nix is called XNU (stands for "X is Not Unix") and is also used on iOS, Watch OS and other Apple operating systems.

- Windows doesn't use any kernel.

Regards,

MN
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

MS is really scared now, TechRadar and more are talking about the hugh increase of Linux downloads and users. MS you dont own us anymore
Newbie221
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Newbie221 »

gomerpile wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm TechRadar and more are talking about the hugh increase of Linux downloads and users.
In my opinion those numbers could be skewed because of the nature of Linux.
Right now I have one computer on Mint and another on Zorin. However, I've downloaded Mint 4 times in the learning process, Zorin once, Debian 3 times because of the desktop options (didn't know they could be added after) and Ubuntu once.
And..... I'm now considering a look at KDE Plasma and a lighter weight distro to replace Zorin.

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

Newbie221 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:54 pm
gomerpile wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm TechRadar and more are talking about the hugh increase of Linux downloads and users.
I've downloaded Mint 4 times in the learning process,

Thanks for your time
Newbie221
Double Face Palm then a drumroll
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

It hit 4%.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/03 ... -desktops/

I think it is going to continue to grow to at least double digits. Gaming was a big hurdle for many Windows users and thanks to Steam, gaming on Linux is much easier to do. That is what finally open up Linux for me. Without gaming, I would still be using Windows.
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

Russian hackers stole Microsoft source code repositories. And the linux shares just wentup.; LOL
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Linux hits nearly 4% desktop user share on Statcounter
https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-sh ... /worldwide
:o
Looking at December it shows Windows rising too, with macOS dropping down.
If we actually take ChromeOS directly into the Linux numbers for December 2023,
the overall number would actually be 6.24% (ChromeOS is Linux after all).
so, those Tech Writers are saying . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Personally I think a big shift might occur with Windows 12 and its requirement for a paid subscription, or you gets ads forever.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:01 am Personally I think a big shift might occur with Windows 12 and its requirement for a paid subscription, or you gets ads forever.
I so miss Windows.

NOT!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:01 am Personally I think a big shift might occur with Windows 12 and its requirement for a paid subscription, or you gets ads forever.
I'M with you on win12. my thoughts are because of the AI though. At least it is for me. You can bet it will be phoning home about everything you do.

I would love to see the people finally rise up against these companies that think they are too big to fail, because they do what they can to screw over their customers with impunity. IF anything, Bud Light should prove that no company is beyond taking a massive hit to their bank account. I had hoped that fiasco would have companies thinking twice about screwing over their customers. Instead of losing billions these shady companies are going to have to go bankrupt to get the message out. Because it's business as usual for them, and their abuse of their customers.

It's also going to take education of the masses to get folks to switch away from something the have grown accustomed to. Back in the day I was noticing a trend with my HP print cartridges. I wasn't getting near the amount of pages that I had been. I went online to do some research. It looked like they had reduced the amount of ink inside and raised the price. That's when I tossed my HP in the trash and purchased a Canon. Later I stumbled on Louis Rossman's youtube and learn the sheer shadiness of HP. Now I wont purchase ANY HP product.

When my win7 machine kicked the bucket I started researching win11. It wasn't until that research that I realized how bad it really was.

Sadly the masses are ignorant about the products and the companies behind them. Thankfully, I have started to wake up from my koolaid induced coma.
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:46 am
I so miss Windows.

NOT!
you had me worried you converted, so the snot at the bottom
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

gomerpile wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:11 pm
I so miss Windows.

NOT!
:lol: Bazinga! :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:23 pm
gomerpile wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:11 pm

I so miss Windows.

NOT!
:lol: Bazinga! :wink:
LOL
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

thus, I'm not so sure of that Market Model - - it's an big step - it's been discussed at length -

they will continue to push their Microsoft Store, though
- this did exist with their win-8 system, but is now really Front & Center with win-10 & win-11 -
:twisted:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Pierre wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:40 am
thus, I'm not so sure of that Market Model - - it's an big step - it's been discussed at length -

they will continue to push their Microsoft Store, though
- this did exist with their win-8 system, but is now really Front & Center with win-10 & win-11 -
:twisted:
Win 8.x was bad enough for me. Win 7 was initially the best OS MS ever had but even it started to go south the last few years because MS started messing around with it, issuing broken updates and trying to trick people to downgrade (anything past Win 7 was not an upgrade).
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Windows 8, like Windows ME was an abomination!

Plus this whole Microsoft Co-Pilot thing has me worried, just another way to suck away your data so you can be tracked and monetized. Plus having to buy a new keyboard for the Co-Pilot key.

Return to “Chat about Linux”