3.77% market share

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

3.77% market share

Post by gomerpile »

Linux, Microsoft biggest threat, threat so much they are building a new update to downgrade windows 11machine update requirements.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: 3.77 market share

Post by xenopeek »

Microsoft is doing absolutely fine. They're the largest company globally, valued at 3 trillion USD (3 million million USD). Server, office and gaming are now all bigger than Windows in revenue.

And did Linux take market share from Windows or from macOS?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you think that Microsoft is scared of any GNU/Linux distro, that may be true for RHEL because it's owned by IBM and therefore is real competition. For any other distros it's ridiculous.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I always thought their hardware requirements were ridiculous, and apparently they are seeing that on older computers, with people not upgrading to Windows 11.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:39 pm I always thought their hardware requirements were ridiculous, and apparently they are seeing that on older computers, with people not upgrading to Windows 11.
Twas bound to happen sooner or later, there are a lot of older computers that simply are not win 10 or 11 compliant. While I am sure MS does not feel threatened, they however, are savvy enough to see a trend and will do what ever it takes to squash that trend.
Germ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Germ »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:39 pm I always thought their hardware requirements were ridiculous, and apparently they are seeing that on older computers, with people not upgrading to Windows 11.
A ton of computers that don't meet windows 11 "requirements" are fully capable of being upgraded. You just have to know how to. Plenty of solutions on the net. Just have to look for it. :wink:
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

Most did not bother, we moved to linux. That is part of the reason market shares went to 3.77.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The next major hurdle for Desktop Linux is to overtake Unknown:
LinuxMarketShare-Desktop_70.png
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

There is no reason my 2016 Ryzen Gen 1 1700 8/16 processor can not run Windows 11. Except that Microsoft decided to not allow it.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:31 am There is no reason my 2016 Ryzen Gen 1 1700 8/16 processor can not run Windows 11. Except that Microsoft decided to not allow it.
I wonder if Apple will claim this as an iThing feature and sue?
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

altair4 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:54 am The next major hurdle for Desktop Linux is to overtake Unknown:
LinuxMarketShare-Desktop_70.png
Kinda like ordering from Ghost Kitchens
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 3.77% market share

Post by gomerpile »

New update, we are over 4 percent desktop market share and climbing. MS is scared now
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 4 % market share

Post by gomerpile »

47% of professional developers use Linux-based operating systems. (Statista)
Linux powers 39.2% of websites whose operating system is known. (W3Techs)
Linux powers 85% of smartphones. (Hayden James)
Linux, the third most popular desktop OS, has a market share of 4l%. (Statista)
The Linux market size worldwide will reach $15.64 billion by 2027. (Fortune Business Insights)
The world’s top 500 fastest supercomputers all run on Linux. (Blackdown)
96.3% of the top one million web servers are running Linux. (ZDNet)
Today, there are over 600 active Linux distros. (Tecmint)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: 3.77% market share

Post by Pierre »

Germ wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:15 pm A ton of computers that don't meet windows 11 "requirements" are fully capable of being upgraded.
even so, there will be an crazy amount of PCs that will get turfed out,
- over the next few years, or so.
https://www.tomshardware.com/software/w ... fe-in-2025
AND
https://www.itpro.com/software/windows/ ... -scrapheap
plus, any number of other IT sites, that will say the same thing.
https://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-share
thus, just how many will find any enthusiastic repurpose :?: and how many will get turfed out :?:
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

gomerpile wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:32 am 47% of professional developers use Linux-based operating systems. (Statista)
Linux powers 39.2% of websites whose operating system is known. (W3Techs)
Linux powers 85% of smartphones. (Hayden James)
Linux, the third most popular desktop OS, has a market share of 4l%. (Statista)
The Linux market size worldwide will reach $15.64 billion by 2027. (Fortune Business Insights)
The world’s top 500 fastest supercomputers all run on Linux. (Blackdown)
96.3% of the top one million web servers are running Linux. (ZDNet)
Today, there are over 600 active Linux distros. (Tecmint)
I always take statistics with a bucket of salt; statistics are often generated to prove one side of an issue, a claim, or "point" that an organisation wants to make. :) In other words, statistics tend to be skewed to prove something that someone wants proved, and may not accurately reflect the reality of the base data.

Take the claim that %47 of professional developers use a Linux-based system. Is that for their personal use? Is that stat saying that developers for MS products use exclusively a Linux OS ( not just the kernel ) to develop a MS product? Those supercomputers, are they on RH, Mint, Ubuntu...or is it simply the kernel?

The statement of 3 to 4 percent of of desktops with Linux is that low due to the issue that Linux at the user base is still for geeks. People can argue that plenty of gamers use Linux for gaming but, I have never seen a web site or magazine post speed results for cpu or gpu testing on any OS other than MS. But I have not see all websites, so I am sure there are some out there that test only with Linux. Still, most MS games are played on MS machines and not on a virtual machine.

The claim about smartphones I would call curious. Eighty-five percent is quite high! Did Samsung and others drop Android, or does Samsung have less market than claimed? Apple IOS is the second most installed OS on a cell phone after Android, so where is the 85 percent coming from? The fact a Samsung device has DeX does not change the fact the base code on a Samsung device is Android. Apple is based on FreeBSD/Unix. Motorola in the past claimed to be going to Linux and they probably did but, how much market share does Motorola have? Even with counting the cellphones from countries that are striving to move to a home grown OS, that %85 I would deem to be highly questionable.

With over 600 active Linux distros is meaningless as the bulk of those distros are developed by enthusiast and will never leave the enthusiast arena and go mainstream. If Windows had 600 derivatives, MS would not be where they are today.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Dullard du Jour wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:14 am Take the claim that %47 of professional developers use a Linux-based system. Is that for their personal use? Is that stat saying that developers for MS products use exclusively a Linux OS ( not just the kernel ) to develop a MS product? Those supercomputers, are they on RH, Mint, Ubuntu...or is it simply the kernel?
Please stop that silly "simply the kernel" story. Each and every operating system that runs on a Linux kernel, literally is Linux. Period.
Dullard du Jour wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:14 am The claim about smartphones I would call curious. Eighty-five percent is quite high! Did Samsung and others drop Android, or does Samsung have less market than claimed? Apple IOS is the second most installed OS on a cell phone after Android, so where is the 85 percent coming from?
Sigh.... There we go again. Android runs on a Linux kernel, so it literally is Linux.

It might help if you would take some time to inform yourself better, before partaking on a high horse in these senseless political debates. Just a well-meant advice.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

My win10 machine was way more than capable of installing win11. However, I didn't want the spyware and MS online account that went along with win11. Best thing I have done in ages was divorce them and move into the Linux house. Every time I see the Linux numbers going up I feel like people are starting to wake up and see the truth. Lord knows it took me long enough to wake up.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Pjotr wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:23 am
Dullard du Jour wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:14 am Take the claim that %47 of professional developers use a Linux-based system. Is that for their personal use? Is that stat saying that developers for MS products use exclusively a Linux OS ( not just the kernel ) to develop a MS product? Those supercomputers, are they on RH, Mint, Ubuntu...or is it simply the kernel?
Please stop that silly "simply the kernel" story. Each and every operating system that runs on a Linux kernel, literally is Linux. Period.
Dullard du Jour wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:14 am The claim about smartphones I would call curious. Eighty-five percent is quite high! Did Samsung and others drop Android, or does Samsung have less market than claimed? Apple IOS is the second most installed OS on a cell phone after Android, so where is the 85 percent coming from?
Sigh.... There we go again. Android runs on a Linux kernel, so it literally is Linux.

It might help if you would take some time to inform yourself better, before partaking on a high horse in these senseless political debates. Just a well-meant advice.
Yes, Pjotr, you of course, are correct. But I am curious, how far can a kernel be diluted before it is no longer the original kernel? I suppose we could say that every *nix is really Unix based?

Regardless of your answer...the published stats are certainly skewed to some degree.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

TaterChip wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:33 am
My win10 machine was way more than capable of installing win11. However, I didn't want the spyware and MS online account that went along with win11. Best thing I have done in ages was divorce them and move into the Linux house. Every time I see the Linux numbers going up I feel like people are starting to wake up and see the truth. Lord knows it took me long enough to wake up.
I quite agree, although I still have my Windows 10 machine for reasons. But all the laptops and the second desktop are Linux only. The two NUCs are windows since they are attached to the TVs and run iTunes, and my ad blocker for YouTube.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

MurphCID wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:53 am I quite agree, although I still have my Windows 10 machine for reasons. But all the laptops and the second desktop are Linux only. The two NUCs are windows since they are attached to the TVs and run iTunes, and my ad blocker for YouTube.
I still have the original windows NvME if needed. At least for now. I can always spin up a VM.

Return to “Chat about Linux”