Samsung Strikes Again

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Samsung Strikes Again

Post by mediclaser »

I stopped buying anything Samsung when they wanted to charge me more than $100 to fix a $50 blu-ray player which stopped playing blu-ray discs after one of their firmware update. They did not fix it and never compensated me for the defect that they caused.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

Received my two Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus M2 SSD today. They come in a very nice, aluminum case and well protected. These will replace the cursed Samsung 970's that I have. Put the first Sabrent in M2-2 and used Foxclone to clone the M1-1 root/home to it. Then put the M2-2 cloned Sabrent into the M2-1 slot and it booted quicker than before. Put the second Sabrent into M2-2 and used gparted to create three partitions. It all went very well.

I cannot imagine a situation where I will ever buy Samsung memory again.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Back when my oldest was entering High School, I got her a top of the line Samsung laptop. Never again. That thing never worked right, and finally died right in the middle of a semester. It lasted only two years before just dying and we had to replace the battery twice during that time. Never again will I purchase a Samsung laptop.

We made the kids an agreement that when they entered High School they would get a "decent" laptop for the four years, then when they go off to college, I would get them a top of the line one for their time in University. The oldest is still using her HP Spectre 13.3" that she got those many years ago, and the youngest's is still working, but we switched her to a Mac, and she loves it.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

mediclaser wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:35 pm I stopped buying anything Samsung when they wanted to charge me more than $100 to fix a $50 blu-ray player which stopped playing blu-ray discs after one of their firmware update. They did not fix it and never compensated me for the defect that they caused.
this is also why I am against forced update, and thankful for being able to finally switch to linux. I like living dangerously, I went 15 years without updating win 7 or win10 just so I knew that they couldn't screw up my system with an update
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

we switched her to a Mac
:evil:
Your mileage may be different. In every project I worked on, the use of Apple products created huge roadblocks. Days at a time lost with no solutions from Apple or Apple "experts". Windows 10 was a disaster but way less of a problem.

The problem of applications forced on you appears to be true of all the affordable smartphone brands sold in Australia. I will be happy when a good open source smartphone is sold locally.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

TaterChip wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:36 pm
mediclaser wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:35 pm I stopped buying anything Samsung when they wanted to charge me more than $100 to fix a $50 blu-ray player which stopped playing blu-ray discs after one of their firmware update. They did not fix it and never compensated me for the defect that they caused.
this is also why I am against forced update, and thankful for being able to finally switch to linux. I like living dangerously, I went 15 years without updating win 7 or win10 just so I knew that they couldn't screw up my system with an update
Incidentally, I have lost important digital photos when Win7 destroyed a memory card I was trying to copy from while it was apparently busy downloading unwated updates to convert Win7 to Win10. I stopped dual-booting with Windows since then.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

While this video is primarily about LG's useless warranties, Rossman mentions Samsung pulling similar tactics to get around honoring warranties.

https://youtu.be/Km-QqU5Pk84

It doesn't matter how good products may be, when the companies like these pull shenanigans like LG's to avoid honoring their warranties. I don't approve of Rossman's suggested "solution" of ordering a 'fridge, then refusing delivery but he does point out a need to not do business with companies who put out known defective products and treat customers poorly.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Open Chat”