Samsung Strikes Again

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Samsung Strikes Again

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

I have complained here about how the quality of all of Samsung products and, especially, their customer "service" has plunged downhill, causing me to vow to never use any of their products again. This video shows a new low they sunk to: deliberately damaging a customer's TV to weasel out of the honoring warranty. https://youtu.be/cyWlACuhqNg Rossman can get really worked up over issues but he has good reason for it.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Samsung Strikes Again

Post by AZgl1800 »

i like their cellphones, but I hate the damn refrigerator, never again.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:09 am i like their cellphones, but I hate the damn refrigerator, never again.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_ph ... views=true

The common theme appears to be lousy customer "service".

Samsung was in the news a little while back because their TVs were spying on people.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

I have one of their 65 inch TV's in my shop that is only about 2 years old with a failed power supply. The same model is still being sold and is not disco'ed. So, I am going to pull the power supply and fix it but havent had time. I replaced it with a Sony Bravita 65 inch OLED model and is a much nicer TV but a bit more money. The darn Samsung died one morning before the big Detroit Lions game in the evening.

I have one of their phones and absolutely hate that 'Bixby' always running on it.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

Louis Rossmann is great and I have followed him from when he lived in New York. He calls it like it is and if I had an Apple product that needed repairing I would send it to him. As it is, my vintage iPhone 7 Plus just keeps on ticking and ticking, though of late I noticed it has some weird notification issue with the Calendar.

I am holding out for the new iPhone 16. The company I retired from to use Samsung phones, and dealing with issues with the phones and the software, I have sworn off ever owning any Android software driven product, and Samsung phones. The Note 4 I had was actually a great phone, however, the later and supposedly greater Note and S/Galaxy series phones were a great annoyance to use and deal with. With my current experience with two failing Samsung EVO 970 Pro nvme boards, I will never own a Samsung product again.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

coffee412 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:53 am I have one of their 65 inch TV's in my shop that is only about 2 years old with a failed power supply. The same model is still being sold and is not disco'ed. So, I am going to pull the power supply and fix it but havent had time. I replaced it with a Sony Bravita 65 inch OLED model and is a much nicer TV but a bit more money. The darn Samsung died one morning before the big Detroit Lions game in the evening.

I have one of their phones and absolutely hate that 'Bixby' always running on it.
I deactivated Bixby, hate that damn thing.
if I happen to press that button,,
it screams "turn bixby on" :lol:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Type Rossman Samsung into YouTube or Freetube and you will get all kinds of hits on what problems Loius Rossman has found out about Samsung customer "service" and their products. His videos are often rants laced with words Mama to me not use but he usually is dead on accurate.
Jeannie

Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Electronic Repair
I have bin involved in audio electronics for over 35 years. All electronic equipment whether it's a TV, a fridge, a toaster or an amplifier is a 'modulated' power supply (psu). Back in the day one built a psu with generous leeway. That's why old equipment is so heavy! Today all manufacturers build psus that barely survive turn-on.

The other day my wireless headphones that I use for TV stopped working. It only took a very modest power surge to knock it out. Sennheiser quoted me $120 (+postage) for the repair. I went to Jay-car and picked up a replacement psu of DOUBLE the power for $15. It works fine.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
diyliberty
Level 3
Level 3

Post by diyliberty »

I like Samsung phones and SSDs but have stayed away from everything else they make. Never buy a Samsung appliance. I have seen so many horror stories about their washers, dryers and refrigerators.

As far as repairs go, I only go to manufacturer authorized repair shops if the item is still under warranty. Otherwise I go to independent electronic repair shops. I have gotten really good service from these small businesses at relatively cheap prices. You can buy really cheap TVs and stereo equipment at many of them too. It blows my mind how many customers drop stuff off to get fixed and never pick it up.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

I saw that vid the other day. Back in the day, when I gave up my Nokia dumb phone I went to a Motorola smart phone. From there I had a Galaxy S5, S8, S10.... then Samsung decided they wanted to be just like Apple, and I bought a Motorola Edge for cash... no contract needed. I'm not giving up my sd card or 3.5mm jack without a fight. At that point I vowed to never buy another Samsung phone.

Then I started seeing Samsung's true colors thank to Louis R. When he reported they were suing to stop all screens into the US because there might be a patent infringement. I stopped supporting Samsung completely. I have a butt load of their computer sd cards and drives. Never again.
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

We've always used the cheaper Motorola smart phones. Never had an issue with them.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
Dullard du Jour
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dullard du Jour »

I used a Motorola flip phone for years, never an issue until the jack for the headset became problematic. At that point the phone was maybe 9 years old and I had replaced the battery once. Went to a Samsung flip, and honestly, no issues with it. Finally went to a iPhone 7 Plus a year after it came out, only because family members and friends were insisting on texting me. A small flip phone is not conducive to texting. :D

My 7 Plus is still on the original battery but honestly, it is getting long in the tooth and I am beginning to get software glitches in the Calender and text messaging area. Holding out for the new 16, if I don't like it then I will get the older 15.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Lou77 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:53 am I used a Motorola flip phone for years, never an issue until the jack for the headset became problematic. At that point the phone was maybe 9 years old and I had replaced the battery once. Went to a Samsung flip, and honestly, no issues with it. Finally went to a iPhone 7 Plus a year after it came out, only because family members and friends were insisting on texting me. A small flip phone is not conducive to texting. :D

My 7 Plus is still on the original battery but honestly, it is getting long in the tooth and I am beginning to get software glitches in the Calender and text messaging area. Holding out for the new 16, if I don't like it then I will get the older 15.
I currently have a Kyocera flip phone. My previous one was a Samsung Gusto (probably the only Samsung product, other than their earlier SSDS, that worked well for me). It worked just fine, even after nine years, but it was 3G and that was discontinued so I was forced to "upgrade" to a 4G phone. My cell phone is strictly for emergency use when away from home so it stays turned off until I actually need it. At home, I can't get cell phone reception inside my home because I live in a Faraday cage (aluminum siding and roof). I don't have voice mail set up to keep phone scammers, wrong numbers, etc. from running up my pay as you go plan. My cordless home phones are on a VOIP connection through my ISP.

I can't text, even if I had a full keyboard, because of my ADHD. Even with a computer keyboard, typing is an excruciatingly slow, error riddled task (and, as you said, flip phones are not conducive to texting). As far as phones go, if someone wants to talk to me, they can talk to me! Another reason I don't text is it's insecure.

I don't give the north end of south bound furry little rodent who thinks I should text or own a "smart" phone (also insecure). I'm also infuriated by companies who feel entitled to my cell phone number, especially to use for two factor authentication (it's insanity to use texting for two factor authentication). :roll: My phones are just that; MY phones. I own them, they don't own me. I'M the one paying for them and the plan I use. I'M the one who decides when I'm going to use them, including when to answer them. I have my own voice mail on my home phones; if a call, is important, the caller can leave a message!
Jeannie

SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SprinterDriver »

Yesterday I just discovered that an update on my Samsung A32 phone had suddenly installed 3 unwanted apps without my consent.

Because of this, I figured I'd give each of that app a bottom review on google play. However, it turned out I was blocked from giving any review. Later, I figured that one can only leave review on an app that is installed by the user (i.e. when an app get installed automatically by Samsung, it isn't registered as installed by the google user profile).

So I decided to remove the unwanted apps (two games and one app for buying car parts) and then installed the same apps on purpose again, just to give the apps a lowest possible review and the reason why. I did this to all the "affected" apps.

The sad thing however is that Google was very quick to remove the review (automatic) and comments (only a few hours after) - Their only reason for the removal was a generic phrase that the comments I made was supposedly not relevant (or similar, I received the message in Norwegian) for the content.

So - it seems like in the Samsung/Google metaverse, free speech isn't so free after all, espechially when complaining about unwanted apps forced into the users devices.
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

SprinterDriver wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:57 pm Yesterday I just discovered that an update on my Samsung A32 phone had suddenly installed 3 unwanted apps without my consent.

Because of this, I figured I'd give each of that app a bottom review on google play. However, it turned out I was blocked from giving any review. Later, I figured that one can only leave review on an app that is installed by the user (i.e. when an app get installed automatically by Samsung, it isn't registered as installed by the google user profile).

So I decided to remove the unwanted apps (two games and one app for buying car parts) and then installed the same apps on purpose again, just to give the apps a lowest possible review and the reason why. I did this to all the "affected" apps.

The sad thing however is that Google was very quick to remove the review (automatic) and comments (only a few hours after) - Their only reason for the removal was a generic phrase that the comments I made was supposedly not relevant (or similar, I received the message in Norwegian) for the content.

So - it seems like in the Samsung/Google metaverse, free speech isn't so free after all, espechially when complaining about unwanted apps forced into the users devices.
I noticed something a bit frightening last week due to manufacturer installed programs.

I have a 2020 Motorola Edge, and I am very anal about hitting the little square and closing all open programs that I am not using. The other day I was scrolling on my youtube app and hit the square by accident. I had the phone, contacts, and gallery opened in the back ground. I closed everything and a little while later after watching some youtube shorts I checked again. The contacts and weather app was opened. Long story short.... I ran this test multiple times that night, and each time something had been opened. It only happened when I was on the youtube app. I closed it down, and brought up my ebook reader... read for two hours, checked the open apps... and only my ebook reader was there.

I attempted to uninstall youtube, was informed I couldn't uninstall since it was installed by the manufacturer :shock: :evil: The best I could do was to go into settings, force stop and disable.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SprinterDriver »

TaterChip wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:47 pmI attempted to uninstall youtube, was informed I couldn't uninstall since it was installed by the manufacturer :shock: :evil: The best I could do was to go into settings, force stop and disable.
I tend to use Brave browser on yt instead of official app.
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Am I going crazy or do I see a pattern here?
I gave the op a perfectly reasonable explanation of his problem AND an inexpensive solution. What followed was a plethora of replies talking about anything BUT the op's issue. Talking about their own unrelated issues.
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME .

This is totally unhelpful and adds bloat to what is a technically-based and helpful forum.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

Peter Linu wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:39 pm Am I going crazy or do I see a pattern here?
I gave the op a perfectly reasonable explanation of his problem AND an inexpensive solution. What followed was a plethora of replies talking about anything BUT the op's issue. Talking about their own unrelated issues.
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME .

This is totally unhelpful and adds bloat to what is a technically-based and helpful forum.
This is also the OPEN chat part of the forum. So quick question, how did your comment provide substance to the OP's post? How is it any different than those your talking about?

maybe I am wrong, but I don't remember seeing any mods come in and say something is off topic on an open chat thread. *shrug*
Oldun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oldun »

+1 TaterChip.... it is an OPEN chat.
Lenovo T480s i5 Mint Cinnamon Mint 21.2 Victoria
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

I said that replacing the psu will make his appliance work and at far less cost than the manufacturer.

Return to “Open Chat”