How to manage input sources like in Ubuntu Gnome? (MRU order switching, not limited by 4 sources)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alexeymuranov
Level 1
Level 1

How to manage input sources like in Ubuntu Gnome? (MRU order switching, not limited by 4 sources)

Post by alexeymuranov »

I find it quite inconvenient that in Linux Mint Cinnamon, when I have more than 2 keyboard layouts enabled, I can only switch between them in a fixed cyclic order (not aware even of a possibility to switch in reverse), and that I cannot enable more than 4 layouts.

Ubuntu Gnome (the main edition), on the contrary, does not limit me to 4 keyboard layouts, the layouts are switched in the Most Recently Used First (MRU) order, and I can switch them in reverse.

How can I get the Ubuntu behaviour on Linux Mint Cinnamon? Shouldn't it be enough to install the packages that manage input sources in Ubuntu? If so, which ones?

I wish:
  1. To have a keyboard shortcut to switch layouts in the Most Recently Used First order.
  2. To be able to enable more than 4 layouts.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to manage input sources like in Ubuntu Gnome? (MRU order switching, not limited by 4 sources)

Post by Hoser Rob »

alexeymuranov wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:53 am ... How can I get the Ubuntu behaviour on Linux Mint Cinnamon? Shouldn't it be enough to install the packages that manage input sources in Ubuntu? If so, which ones?...
That would be a fantastic way to break Cinnamon..
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to manage input sources like in Ubuntu Gnome? (MRU order switching, not limited by 4 sources)

Post by SMG »

alexeymuranov wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:53 amUbuntu Gnome (the main edition)
Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and not on Ubuntu with the GNOME desktop environment (DE).

Linux Mint is available with the Cinnamon DE, the MATE DE, or the Xfce DE. It is not available with the GNOME DE.
alexeymuranov wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:53 am Shouldn't it be enough to install the packages that manage input sources in Ubuntu?
You appear to be confusing the DE with the Distro. Your question says you want to be able to install packages from one DE into a different DE and have it work.

Linux-based distro desktops environments are not modular to the level of being able to mix packages from different DEs and have it work without rewriting code to make it happen. At that point you now have a customized install.
alexeymuranov wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:53 am I wish:
  1. To have a keyboard shortcut to switch layouts in the Most Recently Used First order.
  2. To be able to enable more than 4 layouts.
The discussion in this topic Help for muliple language support may give you some ideas.
You may also want to check this topic Switch layout in GNOME Xfce Mate Cinnamon KDE.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Cinnamon”