Windows - what do you use it for?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mmm
Level 4
Level 4

Windows - what do you use it for?

Post by mmm »

If you use windows at all, either on a spare computer, or dual-booting, what do you use it for?
Last edited by LockBot on Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Windows - what do you use it for?

Post by Moem »

There is one old laptop in our house that runs a specific E-Bay sniper software.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hawaiihemd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hawaiihemd »

I use it only for updating the software on my father's standalone device for car navigation. You can probably guess why...
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

visio
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I use a couple Windows only apps in Wine. Nothing else since Windows 7. Linux only :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Before I became a pensioner, I used a very good (Windows only) program for my tax return. Now I only use Win (10) for MediaMonkey. That is a very good music player with which I can synchronize my music on smartphone (MediaMonkey app).
I hope the MediaMonkey-team will succeed in developing a Linux version soon.

That's it. Nothing else. I don't miss windows.
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Well here are my use cases:

1) Tech support of friends and family.
2) Photoshop- Sorry Gimp is not even close by a lightyear.
3) iTunes- Gotta have it for my huge library of music, movies, and TV shows.
4) Gaming- Again sorry Linux gaming is still second rate at best especially when Steam goes into an endless boot loop.
5) TurboTax- Gotta pay the Tax man.

That is pretty much it. If it was not for the steam boot looping thing, I might be able to transition to Linux on my desktop computer. I do not use VMs at all. One OS per computer, it just works for me.
MoreLinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MoreLinux »

I use windows to let in the fresh outside air, but on all my hardware it's Linux.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

TurboTax
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Over 20 years ago I used Quicken to manage finances and MS Works for word processor and spreadsheets. I'm way to lazy to try and switch to Linux only applications for those, and although both work OK in Wine, I've had a better experience running a Win XP virtual machine for several years now primarily for those two applications.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

kc1di wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:28 am ...Nothing else since Windows 7. Linux only :)
Ditto.

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:36 am ...I used a very good (Windows only) program for my tax return...
I do my taxes online (no Windows needed). My data is going to get there anyway when I file.

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:36 am ...Now I only use Win (10) for MediaMonkey. That is a very good music player with which I can synchronize my music on smartphone (MediaMonkey app).
I hope the MediaMonkey-team will succeed in developing a Linux version soon...
I agree that Media Monkey is an excellent music player I even shelled out the shekels for the full lifetime license so it really bites my ample asset that it doesn't support Linux. I don't need it to sync with a "smart" phone (I don't even use a so called "smart" phone) and I've replaced it with VLC and an adjusted workflow that works fine for me so, since they didn't support Linux when I first needed it, I don't really care if they come out with a Linux version. It would take to long to redo playlists, etc.

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:36 am Before I became a pensioner, I used a very good (Windows only) program for my tax return. Now I only use Win (10) for MediaMonkey. That is a very good music player with which I can synchronize my music on smartphone (MediaMonkey app).
I hope the MediaMonkey-team will succeed in developing a Linux version soon.

That's it. Nothing else. I don't miss windows.
I do. Like a root canal without anesthesia.

MoreLinux wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:59 am I use windows to let in the fresh outside air, but on all my hardware it's Linux.
Heck, I don't even do that thanks to the pollen in the "fresh" outside air that drive my allergies nuckin' futz. :wink:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
oswald_c
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oswald_c »

I have a Windows 10 virtual machine solely for running Adobe Digital Editions to download E-Books (in the .epub format), before I import them into Calibre on my Linux Mint host. I did try running Adobe Digital Editions under WINE for a few years, but unfortunately it works best under Windows :(
JohnBdigital
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JohnBdigital »

I have Windows 10 in a virtual machine only for large format printing.
If the Large format printers I use had linux drivers I wouldn't have Windows anymore!
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon...
rodia77
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rodia77 »

ATM gaming only.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:36 am .... Now I only use Win (10) for MediaMonkey. That is a very good music player with which I can synchronize my music on smartphone (MediaMonkey app).
I hope the MediaMonkey-team will succeed in developing a Linux version soon....
The thing is, will the Linux version, when it comes, have the same sync capability as the Windows version? I'm not so sure, wouldn't all Linux media players be able to do that as well now?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The last time I've had any Windows for years was a couple of years ago when I got my current main refurbished laptop. It had Windows 10. Briefly.

What did I use it for? I guess to remind me why I don't have any Windows any more.

I'm not actually anti Windows ... I've often said here that I think many users are too quick to ditch it. But after using a virus and (relatively) malware free OS for so long, using Windows just gave me a yucky feeling. Also with Windows 10 it was really weird to feel like I needed an ad blocker for my desktop, not just the browser.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
TaterChip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TaterChip »

It's taken a while, but I've been able to find a replacement for everything except my kindle app, and an old game that has problems on a VM. Kindle is soon to go away, and so will my windows VM. I am done drinking the Amazon Koolaid. I have started contacting authors to see if they would be willing to sell their books on Smashwords, or another location where I can actually purchase and download the epub file. The latest author I contacted sells pdf's on her website, and I'll bring that into Calibre and convert to epub. It's a win win all the way around.

I haven't found a way to download purchased books from Amazon to use with my third party e-reader app. My thoughts are... IF I have to STAY in the Amazon ecosystem, then I don't actually own the books I have bought and paid for. Purchasing books via Amazon has come to a halt. I currently have 223 Kindle books. IF I try the method of 'download and transfer with USB' I am greeted with the following screenshot... Which proves I don't actually own the books I purchased.

I now understand why some prefer to sail the high seas.
Attachments
ksnip_20240127-133505.jpg
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Hawaiihemd wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:53 am I use it only for updating the software on my father's standalone device for car navigation. You can probably guess why...
Likewise. That's it and that's all.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:05 pm
Hawaiihemd wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:53 am I use it only for updating the software on my father's standalone device for car navigation. You can probably guess why...
Likewise. That's it and that's all.
The same here until I realised that several satnav apps for my Android phone are avaialble free and mostly are better and more up to date than any satnav device I've ever seen.
I used to do it only using an old VM of WinXP, never on a real Windows install which I haven't used properly since 2005 when I started using Ubuntu 5.04.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Mostly opening and closing when it is too hot or cold.
Occassionally I gaze out of one.
Sometimes they need a wash. On the whole they are quite useful.

Return to “Open Chat”