Lower Panel Application Buttons Always Bold and Truncated

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Quincunx55555
Level 1
Level 1

Lower Panel Application Buttons Always Bold and Truncated

Post by Quincunx55555 »

I did a fresh install of Virginia 21.3 today and spent the afternoon getting the UI set up. I have almost everything they way I would like it, except there appears to be no way to change the font, or font-weight, of the Application Buttons (and clock) for the Windows List in the Lower Panel. Also, the Application Buttons are narrow enough to truncate the text, even though the Lower Panel has plenty of empty space. Truncating should be done when there's not enough room to display data, but that's not the case here.

I went through all the font options with the Font Selection portion of the System Settings, but those fonts don't apply to this part of the UI. I looked in all the System Settings areas for the panel, windows lists, and application buttons, and have not found anything that allows me to change the font attributes or "truncate-by-default" buttons.

I followed instructions to copy my theme folder to ~/themes, and then modify the cinnamon.css file to make custom changes. I eventually did a "Find and Replace" for all instances of "font-weight: bold;" to be "font-weight: normal;" and restarted Cinnamon, but all of those changes were fruitless.

Is there any way to make my Application Buttons look like they aren't made for a pre-school? Is there a way to make them _not_ truncate until they actually need to start limiting the data I see?

Sample screenshot:
Truncated bold text for Application Buttons and clock on Lower Panel.
Truncated bold text for Application Buttons and clock on Lower Panel.
cybrkyd
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Lower Panel Application Buttons Always Bold and Truncated

Post by cybrkyd »

I was looking for the same and rather than mess around with the themes, I just reduced the font size.

Right click on your Panel >> Panel Settings
Under Panel Appearance >> Left Zone >> Font Size
Change from 'Allow Theme to determine font size' to a smaller value.

I set mine to 8.5pt and it looks way better.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Lower Panel Application Buttons Always Bold and Truncated

Post by spamegg »

Also, the Application Buttons are narrow enough to truncate the text, even though the Lower Panel has plenty of empty space. Truncating should be done when there's not enough room to display data, but that's not the case here.
This is by design for the "modern" layout with the Grouped Window List applet.
What you want (avoid truncating) is the "traditional" layout.
There used to be a toggle switch for switching between "modern" and "traditional" layouts in the Welcome app, but it was removed.
Linux-Mint-First-Time-004.jpg
It basically used the MATE panel with thinner, wider panel items.
I followed instructions to copy my theme folder to ~/themes
The correct folder is ~/.themes not ~/themes. Notice the dot, which makes it a hidden folder that can only be visible by pressing Ctrl+H.

I think you might be happier on MATE or Xfce; instead of fighting against Cinnamon, which has a very different design philosophy and is not easily customizable.
Is there any way to make my Application Buttons look like they aren't made for a pre-school?
When you say "button" I think you mean "icon"?
So you don't like the Mint-Y icon theme. Then change them to other icon themes in the Themes app.
Or you can look for icon themes on the web:
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/best-icon-themes-ubuntu
https://www.cinnamon-look.org/browse/

You might be disappointed though, as the whole "pre-school" thing is almost the universal default these days everywhere (flat cartoony icons). Thanks to Apple / Mac's massive influence on the icon world, and everyone imitating their flat design.

Return to “Cinnamon”