"Adjust for TV" Option in Cinnamon Display Settings?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vfs
Level 1
Level 1

"Adjust for TV" Option in Cinnamon Display Settings?

Post by vfs »

I installed Linux mint on a PC recently and am using my TV as the primary (and only) monitor. I noticed in the display settings window there is an option called "Adjust for TV", but I don't seem to be able to enable it.

As you can see from the above screenshot I've got the interface scaled to 200%, though when at 100% it was still disabled. Does anyone happen to know what exactly it's adjusting, or how I'd be able to enable it?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: "Adjust for TV" Option in Cinnamon Display Settings?

Post by SMG »

vfs wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:34 am I installed Linux mint on a PC recently and am using my TV as the primary (and only) monitor. I noticed in the display settings window there is an option called "Adjust for TV", but I don't seem to be able to enable it.
Welcome to the forum, vfs.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click the Copy button in the lower right and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware. We need to see more information to be able to help you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Neophyte
Level 4
Level 4

Re: "Adjust for TV" Option in Cinnamon Display Settings?

Post by Neophyte »

I am about 90% sure it is a setting that adjusts your image to correct for "Overscan." Older TVs, usually CRTs, would cut off the edges of an image. It should not be an issue with modern HDTVs, afaik, which is why I would imagine that you can not enable it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
Patience is a virtue, but there are no saints left in this world.

Return to “Cinnamon”