XFCE Keyboard Shortcut commands

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
abrahamchapman
Level 1
Level 1

XFCE Keyboard Shortcut commands

Post by abrahamchapman »

I have installed Linux Mint XFCE on an expired Chromebook. The function keys, i.e. F1-F12 (actually F1-F10, Chromebooks tend to be missing a couple of them) are not labeled F1-F12, but instead have symbols on them, like increase brightness, decrease brightness, mute on/off, etc.

I want to set the function keys to function as the symbols printed on them indicate. I found things like xfce4-session-logout and pactl -- set-sink-volume @DEFAULT_SINK@ +10% that match some of the symbols on the function keys (F10 is the power button), but is there a complete list somewhere?

Also, I cannot get the brightness up or down to work (xbacklight -dec 5 -steps 1 AND xbacklight -1 do nothing, and yes, I installed xbacklight, sudo apt install xbacklight). The Power Manager seems to control brightness setting, how do I accomplish this with a command like xfce4-power-manager-brightness +10%

Also, how do I set one of the function keys to toggle the WifI card on and off (not a Chromebook function key, but I'll gladly sacrifice one that I rarely use to gain this functionality)?
Last edited by SMG on Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Beginner Questions to Desktop:Xfce.
hex1A4
Level 2
Level 2

Re: XFCE Keyboard Shortcut commands

Post by hex1A4 »

For sound:
Toggle mute/unmute

Code: Select all

amixer -D pulse sset Master toggle
Volume down 5%

amixer -D pulse sset Master 5%-
Volume up 5%

amixer -D pulse sset Master 5%+
For media player:
I use Rhythmbox for my media player and have set media player keys like so:
Toggle play/pause

rhythmbox --play-pause
Next

rhythmbox --next
Previous

rhythmbox --previous
Check your media player's man page for command options.

See here to toggle WiFi.

For shutdown:

shutdown now
For brightness you can use xbacklight but first run it in a terminal, and see if you get the 'No outputs have backlight property' error. If so follow the instructions here.

Assign keys in Menu > Settings > Keyboard

Return to “Xfce”