making hardware changes with Immutable systems

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
moose
Level 1
Level 1

making hardware changes with Immutable systems

Post by moose »

A conversation with my daughter yesterday led me to this question which I have so far not found the answer. I had complained that an old laptop was not doing what I wanted and was told if I did “not fiddle with things” it would be better and maybe in my 80’s I should leave well alone. Perhaps I should use one of these new “Immutable distros”, I would not then have a problem!
It turns out that this old laptop has 2 x 4GB memory modules and one has failed. So the question is Are there likely to be any issues in an immutable system if a memory module has to be replaced?
I have not seen any references in various forums about how hardware changes will be managed in such systems. Just curious, I have no plans to change to one.
Last edited by karlchen on Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title: typing error corrected
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: making hardware changes with Immuabtel systems

Post by xenopeek »

As this isn't about Linux Mint, moved the topic to chat. Mind that this board is only for support with Linux Mint and support requests for other OSes will be closed.

If your hardware fails it makes no difference whether your system partition is writable or not. Immutable software does not make hardware infallible.

Return to “Chat about Linux”