[SOLVED] Blueman annoyance

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Blueman annoyance

Post by jwiz »

Blueman keeps pestering my non-priviledged users with a 'RfKill-Status' authorisation dialogue window upon session login.
I (sudo) can't seem to get rid of that dialoge without disabling the blueman applet at start.
Any other ideas?
Last edited by jwiz on Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Blueman annoyance

Post by jwiz »

After some digging on this topic I've found that according to this ArchWiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Blueman and other sources, the users should be added to to the 'wheel' group and and '/etc/polkit-1/rules.d/51-blueman.rules' policy created to allow members of the 'wheel' group to execute 'rfkill.setstate' without authorisation.
Problem is, that Debian/Ubuntu do not set up a 'wheel' group.
This appears like some distro configuration issue that Linux Mint should address.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

This thread on askubuntu looks relevant.
Hopefully debian and ubuntu may not differ on this.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Yes, I've read that too, but adding non-priviledged users to the 'bluetoooth' group is complete overkill and bad parctice just to get rid of a confirmation dialogue for rfkill.setstate.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

Yeah, granting absolute minimum permissions when required would be neater.

Is this solution applicable to your case?
[Caveat: disables power management for bluetooth]
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Nope.
Seems at boot/login blueman uses the settings from /etc/bluetooth/main.conf, where the value is set to 'true'.
Gernerally disabling the auto-power settings there isn't a viable solution.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

jwiz wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:16 am Problem is, that Debian/Ubuntu do not set up a 'wheel' group.
Noticed this thread while doing a Forum search. The answer is pretty simple. Create a new group (e.g., blueman) and add everyone affected to that. Then, create the polkit rules file as Arch suggests, replacing wheel with the new group name. By the way, the literal answer to the question you asked is replace wheel with sudo (they're functionally equivalent), but obviously that's not what you want to do.

Disclaimer: I don't use Blueman and haven't tested that particular rules file. I'm answering this only as a polkit question.

Edit: Continuing my explorations, I happened to open the polkit folder for Cinn 21.2 (/usr/share/polkit-1/rules.d) and notice there's already a file like the one Arch describes, and it authorizes actions not only by members of the sudo group but also netdev. If you add your non-privileged users to the latter group, that should be enough to solve the problem. Again, not tested.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Sorry for not following up on this thread.
Yes, I've found said blueman polkit too in the meantime and added the users to the netdev group.
Works now.
Thanks.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Re: [SOLVED] Blueman annoyance

Post by linux-rox »

Glad to hear you were able to work it out. Anyhoo, helps the collective memory of the Forum to have the solution documented.

Return to “Software & Applications”