How do you guys know so much about linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tadaensylvermane
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How do you guys know so much about linux?

Post by tadaensylvermane »

For me while I make no claims about being any type of expert, every bit of knowledge I have stems from curiosity. I started messing with open source because of a passing interest. Didn't take long for me to fall deep in the rabbit hole. Since then I've had difficulties like any other person. I've gone to forums, a ton of google searching and gradually built up a decent personal knowledge base. This is going on 10 years now. ChatGPT has made searching for solutions much quicker in many cases just because I don't have to read through pages of results to hopefully find what I need. 9 times out of 10 it does that part for me and just gives me an answer.

I still hit walls sometimes when I'm trying something new, but as I've learned a ton already I can start at a deeper point in the problem than "how do i edit this file as root?"

It's like anything really. The more you do it, use it, the better you get at it. In this case while the general answer for Windows is "just reinstall" with Linux it can usually be fixed outside of really big screw ups like uninstalling python or running chmod 777 recursively on the main root directory among a few others.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Maxwell-J wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:56 pm the phrase 'trial and error' comes to mind
yeah! In my case, mostly error.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:39 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:57 am ...Get an old computer that you don't mind breaking as a test bed, and just install Linux distributions...
That's the best advice in this thread so far! It's the advice I got from a Joe Collins video when I first started out.
Thank you. It has worked for me so far.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:49 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:57 am ...Get an old computer that you don't mind breaking as a test bed, and just install Linux distributions...
That's the best advice in this thread so far! It's the advice I got from a Joe Collins video when I first started out.
Yes, messing around should be done either on a spare computer or in a VM. Old and still great advice.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:55 pm
MurphCID wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:49 am

Yes, messing around should be done either on a spare computer or in a VM. Old and still great advice.
And it makes you learn by discovering that the WiFi card is not working, or something else is not working. OR in some cases, everything just works and you can pound on it till you break it, and then re-install.

Return to “Chat about Linux”