How do you guys know so much about linux?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: How do you guys know so much about linux?

Post by AZgl1800 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:40 am
I'm not a technophobe but i also keep little Tutorials on how to do things in Libre Office Writer docs and PDFs (in case LO becomes unavailable someday).
get in the habit of saving all write docs as *.docx

and all Excel spreadsheets as *.xls

that way, you can import to any thing on this planet.

I developed that strategy years ago, when forced to co-mingle with the blue screen folks
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:48 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:40 am
I'm not a technophobe but i also keep little Tutorials on how to do things in Libre Office Writer docs and PDFs (in case LO becomes unavailable someday).
get in the habit of saving all write docs as *.docx

and all Excel spreadsheets as *.xls

that way, you can import to any thing on this planet.

I developed that strategy years ago, when forced to co-mingle with the blue screen folks
One reason I use PDFs is they are compatible with all platforms, are stable (unlike LibreOffice docs that don't always translate well to Microsoft docs) and it's highly unlikely that PDF readers for every platform will ever disappear or otherwise become unsupported, like Open Office did (granted, LibreOffice replaced Open Office and maintained compatibility but it also could become unsupported some day).

When I said that I keep copies of my little tutorials in LibreOffice docs and PDFs, I should have said that I create the tutorials in LibreOffice and export them as PDFs for readability across platforms and stability (they are highly unlikely to "accidentally" be changed by me or anyone else) and embed the original LibreOffice doc inside the PDF when exporting. That way, I can easily edit the PDF if I ever need to by opening it in the program that created it, edit it, then export back to PDF. Usually, I don't export a document to a PDF until it reaches what I hope is its final stage.

I first started using PDFs a couple of decades or so when I was writing Chapbooks for a Renaissance Festival Guild that has a bookstore at a Ren Fest in CA using MS Word. The Word docs I first made were in what was then the latest version of Word at the time to be used as masters when printed at a copy/printing company, such as Office Max. Unfortunately, the head of the Guild and the copy/print shops were unable to use the files I created because the version I used had a feature that the earlier versions didn't, making them unusable. The guild had to keep master copies of each chapbook I wrote and run them off on copy machines which cost more than printing directly from a file.

That's when I discovered PDFs. They just were readable on anyone's computer. That became handy for all my own documents when I later switched from Win 7 to Linux and left MS only programs in my dust. Since all my documents were in PDF form, I was still able to read them without MS Office. I keep all my important documents—financial, legal, etc.—in PDF so I don't have to worry about compatibility in the future and so the executor of my "estate" will be able to read and print them as needed using whatever "final" version of Microsoft OS is current once I'm dust.

While way overkill for most people, I use a professional PDF creation/editing program (Qoppa PDF Studio Pro, not Adobe Acrobat; I gave Adobe the bird a couple of years or so before I gave MS the bird) for much of my PDF work, such as some creation and editing that would be more difficult in LibreOffice, especially for graphics heavy documents, and as my default PDF reader. Fortunately, I don't need for anyone who will need any of my PDFs to be able to edit them.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

gonna be tough to get a spreadsheet to work after sending it to a PDF :mrgreen:

the *.docx and *.xls formats seems to work very well, back and forth for me.
and the allow for easy changes for the other person.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:16 pm gonna be tough to get a spreadsheet to work after sending it to a PDF :mrgreen: ...
Depends on what was used to make the PDF, how it was made, and what is available to read and edit it.

AZgl1800 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:16 pm ...the *.docx and *.xls formats seems to work very well, back and forth for me.
and the allow for easy changes for the other person.
And that is why you should continue to use them. :wink: Like I always say sometimes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I was just pointing out some of the misconceptions of PDFs and why I use PDFs. I'm not demanding they should always be used.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

I used to set docx and xls as default, then saw that you can lose some of the formatting (at least with docx) when you do that. I now just keep it as lo, until I send it somewhere.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

The Muffin Man wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:52 pm I used to set docx and xls as default, then saw that you can lose some of the formatting (at least with docx) when you do that. I now just keep it as lo, until I send it somewhere.
I keep a Reference Library online, that must be available to anyone...
I am a member of the Ford 7.3L Diesel engine groups...

so, it has to be readable from MS Office

I have tested all of my stuff from win10 on this laptop ( dual boot ) and .docx and .xls works perfect....
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

I think you misunderstood me.
I'd post the reference library as docx.
I'd keep lo version on my computer.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

The Muffin Man wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:43 pm I think you misunderstood me.
I'd post the reference library as docx.
I'd keep lo version on my computer.
too much trouble to keep them distinct.

I just automatically append .docx to the end of every document I create in LO writer.
actually, I start with XED and then save it as *.docx,
then reopen it in Writer and make sure the URLs work.

all formatting works just fine.
never been a problem, even the highlighting works

just one Example

word documents.jpg
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Neophyte wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:07 am ... Something breaks, you spend hours researching a fix. Then fix it. Then the next time it happens, you fix it in 5 minutes, since you now have a better idea of what might be the cause and where to search. ...
Yeah, system breakage is one of the best teachers. Sometimes it was broken OOTB, sometimes you messed with the system and broke it, and sometimes the OS broke it for you when you did an update. Hint: if you don't have Timeshift set up do so. Saving to an ext4 partition on an external drive is best for desktop users. It saved my arse when I did something stupid and didn't really want to go through a crash course in grub rescue.

I was luckier than most, I studied Unix a bit in the 80s so I had a fair idea of how Linux works and what to expect. Also, I've actually known real Unix/Linux guru types. One thing that stayed with me from them was how conservative they actually are about tweaking, software sources, etc. That's because they actually know how complicated this stuff is and how many subtle ways you can break it.

To tell the truth I look at a lot of problems here and I have to shake my head at how they got their OS that messed up. The Linux kernel and distro devs actually know a lot more than all those Linux blog hacks about how to set defaults. I've almost never used a ppa and the last time I installed anything by building and compiling was a backported Broadcom wireless driver. I think that was for Ubuntu 13.04, which has been EOL for almost 10 years.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

No PDF, no docx, none of that. Plain text, UTF-8. Always works everywhere. No special software required, just plain text editors or even Terminal. Easy to edit unlike PDFs and office docs.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

spamegg wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:43 pm No PDF, no docx, none of that. Plain text, UTF-8. Always works everywhere. No special software required, just plain text editors or even Terminal. Easy to edit unlike PDFs and office docs.
And no stupid extensions
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

How do you guys know so much about linux?

For me personally, I'd say "I don't", but if I run into an issue I will search the internet to see if there's an answer or I'll post on a forum like this one to see if someone else can help. I guess that's how most of us learn. If it's something I think I'll need again I'll add it to my notes. I have also made a few scripts over the last ~7 years since I switched away from Windows that automate setting things up for me. For instance after a fresh install (I tend to do that on major releases and sometimes on point releases) I run a script that will install the software I want, configure symbolic links to places I've saved certain settings (save's me having to go into the options for everything I use) and any other things I think might be useful.

It's all about playing with the software, breaking stuff and working out how to fix it (or not do that again :)). It's basically the same way I learned Windows back in the 90s.
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

The more you use Linux the more you will learn leastwise that's how it worked for me.

Whatever Linux distro you are using search the forum for that distro for a solution because the problem you have someone else may have also had and most likely a solution already exists.

I still scan the forums for the Linux distros I use and always seem to pickup something I didn't know.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

spamegg wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:43 pm Plain text, UTF-8. Always works everywhere. No special software required, just plain text editors or even Terminal.
Exactly! Saved my bacon being able to log-in to a TTY and access those .txt files I'd saved during an upgrade process. Therefore I was able to put back all the stuff which had been inadvertently removed, to get my desktop back!
Infidelus wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:33 pm It's all about playing with the software, breaking stuff and working out how to fix it (or not do that again :)). It's basically the same way I learned Windows back in the 90s.
Same for me, pretty much. I'd been installing (MS) OSes since the 1990s and when I first saw Linux, it wasn't all that different; the biggest "hurdle" was getting to grips with how the Linux file systems work. If you are eager to explore and (cautiously?) experiment, it doesn't take as long as some people might think.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am learning Linux (slowly), purely by breaking things, or doing some very very basic stuff. But my needs are very basic at best unlike most of the folks here who do amazing things. I did get pretty good at installing distros on laptops, by doing it...often...too often. Now I can get a distro installed, basic configuration for my needs and my files installed, themes installed and the rest done, in less than an hour. Get an old computer that you don't mind breaking as a test bed, and just install Linux distributions. You learn, eventually my goal is to be able to successfully install and configure Slackware.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

MurphCID wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:57 am ...Get an old computer that you don't mind breaking as a test bed, and just install Linux distributions...
That's the best advice in this thread so far! It's the advice I got from a Joe Collins video when I first started out.
Jeannie

CloneWerks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CloneWerks »

Don't look at me man, ever time the word "compile" comes up my eyes glaze over.
Looking at a GitHub entry page makes me feel borderline illiterate and gives me a migraine

Even so I've been running 100% linux at home for over a year now with only the occasional hiccup fixed by lots of searching.
When I do fix something I have meticulous notes to refer back to which is good because a lot of the time I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how or why the fix actually works, I'm just blindly following what others have said to do.

But by God if you want an actual, physical, hardware issue fixed like replacing blown caps, then I'm your man!
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

CloneWerks wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:49 pm ...Looking at a GitHub entry page makes me feel borderline illiterate and gives me a migraine...
You and me three! As far as I'm concerned, "Git"Hub is well named!
Jeannie

Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

the phrase 'trial and error' comes to mind

Return to “Chat about Linux”