Keyboard layout switch sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
binjomin
Level 1
Level 1

Keyboard layout switch sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't

Post by binjomin »

Sometimes (impossible to predict when) the keyboard layout switch doesn't start. Then if I sign out and sign in, it appears. Still, it would be better to avoid this extra step.

When icon doesn't show up, I cannot switch with the keyboard shortcut either.

Note that there are two of them, one with flag and one with language prefix. The latter sometimes shows up when the flag doesn't. However it doesn't help with the keyboard shortcut.

I have three keyboard layouts (English, Hungarian and Hebrew).

Good:

Bad:

Thanks for your help!
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Keyboard layout switch sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't

Post by billyswong »

That extra language prefix tray icon looks like coming from IBus to me. Check out Menu > (Preferences) > "Input Method". See what is the "Input method framework" on the header bar. For your keyboard/language use case, you shall set it to "None" if it isn't. Then relogin and see if there are still duplicated keyboard layout tray icons.
binjomin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by binjomin »

Thank you! It is indeed iBus if I click on Preferences as you said. However, this "Input method framework" thing I cannot find here.

I think you meant the "Next input method" in the first picture? This I have disabled. I will see after a few reboots if it makes a difference.

This is what I see (in all tabs):

Here someone is suggesting to uninstall iBus completely. Would this make sense to try?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... d-selector
binjomin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by binjomin »

Update: I have removed all layouts from iBus settings. I could also check not to show it on system tray. I don't know if this would help to know whether it is preventing the regular Cinnamon keyboard layout switch from starting?

Maybe is there some system log that is possible to check in a case when the regular layout doesn't start? And to see what kind of error might have occurred then?
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

binjomin wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:46 am Update: I have removed all layouts from iBus settings. I could also check not to show it on system tray. I don't know if this would help to know whether it is preventing the regular Cinnamon keyboard layout switch from starting?

Maybe is there some system log that is possible to check in a case when the regular layout doesn't start? And to see what kind of error might have occurred then?
No telling ibus to hide from systray is the *wrong* thing to do. Undo that now. That will only make your problem harder to discover by others later.

This is the thing I am talking about.
20231210.png
It is NOT from ibus, but a GUI tool by Linux Mint for selecting/enabling/disabling input method frameworks.

When I wrote "Menu", I mean the menu button by desktop corner.
binjomin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by binjomin »

Thank you very much! I did exactly how you suggested, the iBus icon I turned back to show it again and found the "Input method framework" menu and set it to none. So far it's good and I hope it will stay! Thanks again!
shmu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shmu »

billyswong wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:44 am This is the thing I am talking about.
20231210.png

It is NOT from ibus, but a GUI tool by Linux Mint for selecting/enabling/disabling input method frameworks.

When I wrote "Menu", I mean the menu button by desktop corner.
Perfect. Fixed it for me, too. I also have Hebrew as second keyboard layout.

Return to “Cinnamon”