Linux SmartPhone experience & recommendation?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sonnenquelle
Level 3
Level 3

Linux SmartPhone experience & recommendation?

Post by Sonnenquelle »

Good day all

Does anyone use a Linux SmartPhone?
If yes.. kindly let me know what Name&Type, and what your experiences and recommendations are.

THX in advance

P.S.: I am planing to buy Volla Phone 22 or PinePhone Pro for private and business use
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux SmartPhone experience & recommendation?

Post by Moem »

I use Ubuntu Touch on a Oneplus 5t. I'm quite happy with it. The lack of tracking feels refreshing. I must say that this works for me because I never used a lot of Android apps and I did not expect to be able to run those on Ubuntu.
https://ubports.com

Mod note: since this is not about Linux Mint, the topic will be moved.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Sonnenquelle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sonnenquelle »

After some research I have found that Graphene OS could be a great/best solution (in regard to security&privacy), installed on an Google Pixel 7/7a phone.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Well, sure, if what you want is a more secure / more private Android, it's probably a fine option.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

I use GrapheneOS, which is a hardened (more secure) version of Android. Using it, you wouldn't notice much, if any, difference from the corresponding Android version. Just be aware that security does not equal privacy. If you install apps from certain "big name" tech companies, they're still going to track you.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

dave0808 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:40 am .... If you install apps from certain "big name" tech companies, they're still going to track you.
You will be tracked whether they're from 'certain' companies or not.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux”