Installing the best Linux distro

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fish
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing the best Linux distro

Post by fish »

There's no point dealing with a draft when I can't find it. I spent time and effort to type a long and good message only to have it disappear unnecessarily and disappointingly because i was forced to login again.

It's easier to use my laptop which is pre-installed with windows 11 home until i find the most easy and simple way to install Linux Mint Edge edition or Linux Mint Cinnamon without any issues. The model of my new laptop is MSI- Modern 15 B13M— 407AU.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Gentlefolks, I know this topic is in Chat, but it's still Chat about Linux. Please stick with the topic at hand. Some posts were removed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

fish wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:20 pm There's no point dealing with a draft when I can't find it.
If you saved it as a draft, it should be here: ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=drafts

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

fish wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:20 pm There's no point dealing with a draft when I can't find it. I spent time and effort to type a long and good message only to have it disappear unnecessarily and disappointingly because i was forced to login again.

It's easier to use my laptop which is pre-installed with windows 11 home until i find the most easy and simple way to install Linux Mint Edge edition or Linux Mint Cinnamon without any issues. The model of my new laptop is MSI- Modern 15 B13M— 407AU.
I sometimes get long winded, and re-edit, over and over....
then things get lost.

I have resorted to typing it up in LO writer,
or XED which I have pinned to the panel.
copy/paste immediately after you hit REPLY, and it works every time.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The best Linux distro is the one that works for you, and takes care of your needs.
zoli62
Level 2
Level 2

Post by zoli62 »

You need to try enough Linux distributions to be able to choose the one that best suits your needs. For example, some people like rolling release distributions because of the frequently updated packages, while others prefer long-maintained release distributions. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Today you can see quite a lot of videos from different distributions. Each one is a little different, the common thing is that if you don't shy away from using commands, you can use the terminal on any of them.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

fish wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:30 pm I need simple step by step instructions to install a distro on my new out of the box laptop.
When I'm ask this question I send folks here.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/

The reason being because this is the best how to guide for new Linux users imo.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/

Disclaimer.
I'm not saying LL is a better distro than LM although imo the Linux Lite Help Manual is more helpful for a new Linux user.

fish wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:30 pm Which OS is the most secure and private—
The user is always the weakest link for security in any OS regardless of the OS.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Catsbark
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Catsbark »

Most Linux distros are built on one of half-a-dozen or so bases. The biggest difference most users will notice is the Desktop Environment (DE). There's an interesting Web site at https://distrosea.com/ where you can test drive your choice of 40 or so distros in live-session without downloading anything or installing anything on your computer. It seems you are limited to about 5 minutes or so to play around, and of course you can't install any apps or save any work product, but you can get a really good feel for how the distro looks and feels. The virtual machines the site provides for you are modestly spec'ed. A bare-metal installation on any new computer should perform much better.

New computers shipped with MS Windows are getting very difficult to install an alternate OS. You will have to jump through a lot of hoops to make it possible. But don't give up. A Linux system will be well worth the effort.
Catsbark
Dell Inspiron 15; AMD Ryzen 5; LM 20.3 Cinnamon
"A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." - Douglas Adams
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I am going after this one

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/ ... nux-laptop

it is the Cat's Meow for options.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Chat about Linux”