LMDE 6 is awesome

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ubuntu Refugee
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 6 is awesome

Post by Ubuntu Refugee »

First post here. As my handle suggests I came to Linux Mint (Debian Edition) via Ubuntu - with brief stopovers at Fedora and raw Debian.

Just wanted to say LMDE is awesome. Cinnamon is so easy to use and so far I haven't seen the freezing issues that made me abandon Gnome desktop.

The install on my ancient MacBook Air want flawlessly and even its wifi adapter worked without me having to mess with kernel extensions.

I left Ubuntu for various reasons, the top ones being; a dislike of snap, ubuntu-advantage [sic] tools and Canonical's incessant attempts to scare me into subscribing to Ubuntu Pro with vulnerability messages delivered via apt. I'm sure you Ubuntu-based Mint folk are happy enough, but LMDE is the way forward as far as I'm concerned.

I'm a Ruby developer and happy to contribute to Mint in any way I can. Good work folks.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: LMDE 6 is awesome

Post by Moem »

Ubuntu Refugee wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:23 am I'm sure you Ubuntu-based Mint folk are happy enough, but LMDE is the way forward as far as I'm concerned.
I'm happy that you're happy! I'm pretty sure that LMDE6 is indeed awesome. And it's awesome that we have the choice.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ubuntu Refugee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ubuntu Refugee »

@Moem indeed it is
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
saleesh4u
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saleesh4u »

I was reluctant to move from Mint to LMDE thinking it was going to be less user-friendly.
But, once LMDE 6.0 was released and I saw some good reviews, I thought of trying it.
It seems faster and less bulky with the same user interface.
Now, I won't go back from LMDE to Mint(Ubuntu).
NM64
Level 4
Level 4

Post by NM64 »

Ubuntu Refugee wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:23 amI'm sure you Ubuntu-based Mint folk are happy enough, but LMDE is the way forward as far as I'm concerned.
I actually used LMDE for a bit in early 2022 on a Ryzen 4800U when, for whatever reason, I found that the edge version of Mint 20.3 didn't want to boot...

But I switched to Xfce Mint when I realized that Cinammon, or rather Nemo, just can't compete with the (lack of) latency when opening folders with lots of files in list view (an easy test is /etc) and Xfce, or rather Thunar, is the closest thing to the essentially instant response you get when doing the same thing on Windows 7 with the classic non-Aero theme (high contrast black in my case).

And while Cinnamon/Nemo's "latency" may be mitigated in time with faster and faster hardware, I prefer the traditional style panel anyway and Cinnamon since Mint 21.2 has made that much harder to access, so Xfce it is for me!

(also, as a bonus, Thunar shors the exact amount of bytes that a file takes up in the file properties—something that Nemo lacks)
CPU: Xeon E3-1246 v3 (4c/8t Haswell/Intel 4th gen) — core & cache @ 3.9GHz via multicore enhancement
GPU: Intel integrated HD Graphics P4600
RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengence @ DDR3-1600
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forum,
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”