Suggest Best Linux distro for my PC

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sikorsky221
Level 1
Level 1

Suggest Best Linux distro for my PC

Post by Sikorsky221 »

Hello guyz!
I have been using Linux mint from past 1 yr and as I tried to upgrade it to LM 21.2 VICTORIA,I got many issues like internet is connected but not working, screen freezes etc and not responding mostly etc.
So I am thinking of shift to some other distro and I need ur suggestions regarding that.
I have attached my sys info,so please help me out which distro will be perfect for me or should I keep using mint 21.1 and ignore the future updates ??
Attachments
20231031_111319.jpg
20231031_111319.jpg (117.5 KiB) Viewed 888 times
20231029_163044.jpg
20231029_163044.jpg (171.17 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Suggest Best Linux distro for my PC

Post by Moem »

System info is text, please post it as such. Images are very hard to read.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Sikorsky221
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sikorsky221 »

I would love to post text but I can't since internet in my PC is not working after the update
I m using my smartphone to get the help
Few more attachments are below
Attachments
20231102_131403.jpg
20231102_131403.jpg (178.25 KiB) Viewed 875 times
20231102_131320.jpg
20231102_131320.jpg (114.55 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Sikorsky221
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sikorsky221 »

RAM 6GB
ROM 1TB
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Have you tried to boot from a Live image and logging on from there. Your spec seems to be ok. but, you can, at least, get a system spec and post it from the live image. An install from the live image might also fix you issue. I presume you have a current backup.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Might try Mint Mate.
Install it - run all the software at the same time you are likely to run - see if there is a significant slowdown.
If there is, Install xfce which is a little lighter.

Best find out at the beginning rather than 3 months down the line.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

You should be able to run any desktop / distro on this laptop.
Something's gone wrong with the upgrade.
Testing a live session, already mentioned, seems like a very good idea.
nielo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nielo »

" internet is connected but not working" suggests your PC's network settings are not configured properly. It isn't clear whether you use wifi or an ethernet cable but I suggest you look again at the network connection settings.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Sometimes updates and upgrades fail to work. A fresh install fixes many of the problems. In my case, I had some PPAs and things that confused an upgrade. As suggested, a live boot will help decide what works.

As for the best distro, that is subjective. You could live boot several options. I have a heap of free download GB left over each month and could test ten distributions every month. Back when I used to do that as entertainment (COVID lockdown), I found baking my own bread was more fun. Learning about sourdough.

There is really not much difference between the other distributions. Mostly they are "lighter" because they are missing stuff. After you install the things you need, they are the same size. Most have less supportive forums when compared to Linux Mint. Choose the distro with the best forum. :D

Back when my notebook was new and needed a later kernel, I experimented with MX and some others. Painful user interfaces are common. :shock:
gomerpile
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gomerpile »

Petermint wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:32 pm Sometimes updates and upgrades fail to work. A fresh install fixes many of the problems. In my case, I had some PPAs and things that confused an upgrade. As suggested, a live boot will help decide what works.

I vote this as the answer and to be stickies
Most common thing I read, this is the reason I only use the built in software channel.
We have to remember there is no file allocation table with Linux, so confusion can be a problem. The smarter a person is the neater the journal will be
billyswong
Level 8
Level 8

Post by billyswong »

Have you created a timeshift backup before upgrade? If yes, rolling back is the quickest way to get things back to work.

You may also try internet tethering from your phone, if you can't connect an ethernet cable to get internet. Wired network is less prone to driver/firmware bugs.

Return to “Chat about Linux”