[TUTORIAL] Live USB of several ISO images with Ventoy

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
Wibol
Level 6
Level 6

[TUTORIAL] Live USB of several ISO images with Ventoy

Post by Wibol »

When we try to boot our computer from a live image of Linux Mint, any other distribution, operating system or rescue tool, we are forced over and over again to get its ISO and burn it to a USB stick, which makes it unusable for any other purpose until it is reformatted again. In the end, this means that we never have a 'live' version of our system to be able to repair it in case of need, and we are back to square one!

Description.

Ventoy is a great, open source and free software that installs on a USB flash drive (NOT on the system) and allows you to drag any ISO/WIM/IMG/VHD(x)/EFI image onto the USB without burning, and have it automatically added to its boot menu so that you can decide which one to use at any time. Moreover, the drive is not unusable, since you can also add documents and folders you need without affecting Ventoy's operation.

The Ventoy installation script will create in the drive selected by the user a new MBR table with the following layout:
  • 1 MB free space at the beginning of the drive.
  • 32 MB system FAT partition at the end of the drive.
  • ExFAT data partition of the remaining size on the drive.
Ventoy has many options such as reserving free space at the end of the drive, but this tutorial will discuss only those by default.

Installation from Linux

We download the file for Linux from the Ventoy website or its repository on GitHub and unzip it.

We open the location in a terminal or navigate to it:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads/ventoy-X.X.XX/
We connect the USB stick and launch the Ventoy GUI that will make the task easier:

./VentoyGUI.x86_64
ventoy-gui.png
ventoy-gui.png (22.69 KiB) Viewed 8282 times

If our USB stick does not appear in the drop-down list, we can click the refresh button to its right. The interface displays the downloaded version that will be installed on the drive. In case you already have Ventoy installed, both versions will be displayed and you can press the 'Update' button to update the software on the device, without affecting the ISO images and documents stored on it.

ventoy-gui-2.png
ventoy-gui-2.png (22.66 KiB) Viewed 8282 times

Now all you have to do is press the 'Install' button and wait a few seconds.

Installation from Windows

We download the file for Windows from the Ventoy website or its repository on GitHub and unzip it.

We connect the USB stick and launch the Ventoy GUI:

Ventoy2Disk.exe
'Ventoy2Disk.exe' is a x86_32 application and supports both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows PC with Intel / AMD processor. Ventoy also provides 'Ventoy2Disk_X64.exe / Ventoy2Disk_ARM.exe / Ventoy2Disk_ARM64.exe' you can use them if needed. These 'exe' files are in 'altexe' subdirectory and you must copy them to the upper directory to use them (the same location with Ventoy2Disk.exe).
ventoy-gui-2.png
ventoy-gui-2.png (22.66 KiB) Viewed 8282 times

If our USB stick does not appear in the drop-down list, we can click the refresh button to its right. The interface displays the downloaded version that will be installed on the drive. In case you already have Ventoy installed, both versions will be displayed and you can press the 'Update' button to update the software on the device, without affecting the ISO images and documents stored on it.

Now all you have to do is press the 'Install' button and wait a few seconds.

Usage

We mount the 'Ventoy' partition from our file explorer and copy to it all the images in any supported format that we want to have available. No need to burn, flash, etc... just drag or paste the files as they were downloaded, and the Ventoy operating system will automatically generate an entry for each one in its start menu.

ventoy-part.png
If we try to unmount the 'Ventoy' partition right after copying an image, Mint will most likely display a notification warning that data is still being copied and the device should not be disconnected. It is time to wait.
Once the message disappears, we can restart the computer making sure that it boots from the USB stick. When the Ventoy boot menu is displayed, select an image and press Enter.
If we are not going to use it anymore, we can delete the downloaded file and the directory where we unzipped it.
More information at Ventoy Documents.
Last edited by Wibol on Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

No olvides:
  • Leer la Guía de publicación antes de hacer una consulta.
  • Añadir [SOLUCIONADO] al título del primer mensaje de tu consulta cuando así lo consideres.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [TUTORIAL] Live USB of several ISO images with Ventoy

Post by AndyMH »

I know others have done the same, and thanks to them, but...

Is there any way we can make this a 'sticky' at the top of the installation and boot section of the forum. It is clear and straightforward, all it needs is minor amendment to cover 'how to' from win as that it where most new users are coming from. I'm happy to do that as a separate post if needed.

While there are other tools out there, ventoy is in my opinion the best.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Maxwell-J
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Maxwell-J »

can't argue with that :D
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Maxwell-J wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:26 pm
can't argue with that :D
What he said!

BTW, Ventoy is not limited to OS ISOs. It can also host various utilities, such as Gparted Live, Foxclone, Rescuezilla, Clonezilla, etc.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

I used to use Multisystem for this--but Ventoy is now my choice--
it's much faster and easier to add/subtract .iso files--even windows .iso
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

all41 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:52 pm ...but Ventoy is now my choice--
it's much faster and easier to add/subtract .iso files--even windows .iso
You got that right!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

What I like best is being able to just drag and drop a new .iso,
or right-click one already on there and delete it.
Wibol
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wibol »

Hello everyone!
AndyMH wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 1:44 pm all it needs is minor amendment to cover 'how to' from win as that it where most new users are coming from. I'm happy to do that as a separate post if needed.
I will add it in a few hours. Thank you.

No olvides:
  • Añadir [SOLUCIONADO] al título del primer mensaje de tu consulta cuando así lo consideres.
Wibol
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wibol »

Updated!

I only have a Windows 7 for testing. Please can you check that it works also on modern Windows? Thank you.

No olvides:
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raycoupe »

Great tool, great tutorial. Saves a lot of USB sticks.

Anyway to create a GUI clickable link to start the Ventoy tool once downloaded? (or way to incorparate this in Mints menu?)
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Raycoupe wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:56 pm ...Anyway to create a GUI clickable link to start the Ventoy tool once downloaded? (or way to incorparate this in Mints menu?)
Not really. This is a bootable USB. While the computer is shut off, plug in the Ventoy stick, boot into the boot menu of your computer (how to do that varies from computer to computer; check your user manual if you don;t know how), then select the stick to finish booting. Your computer will be running from the stick instead of the OS on the computer.

Suggestions for getting to the boot menu included quickly tapping F12 as soon as you start the computer until the boot menu comes up or doing the same with the Delete key. Other keys, usually one of the F keys, or possibly the ESC key, may be needed for your computer. On my laptop, I just press and hold down the F7 key and start the computer, keeping the F7 key pressed until the boot menu shows up. On my desktop machine, I start the computer, watch for the splash screen logo, then quickly start repeatedly tapping the F12 key.

(I really wish manufacturers would settle on a single way to get to the boot menu, grub menu, and BIOS. :roll: )
Jeannie

Wibol
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wibol »

Raycoupe wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:56 pm Anyway to create a GUI clickable link to start the Ventoy tool once downloaded? (or way to incorparate this in Mints menu?)
You can create a launcher on the desktop by pointing to /home/$USER/Downloads/ventoy-1.0.96/VentoyGUI.x86_64. After clicking OK, Cinnamon will ask you if you want to add it to the menu as well.

I think that's what you're looking for. In any case, it is not a program for everyday use.

No olvides:
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raycoupe »

Wibol wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:55 pm You can create a launcher on the desktop by pointing to /home/$USER/Downloads/ventoy-1.0.96/VentoyGUI.x86_64. After clicking OK, Cinnamon will ask you if you want to add it to the menu as well.
Thanks, that is what I'm looking for. No checking 'run in terminal' necessary and I can delete the launcher on the desktop where I created it, the menu option still works.
Hardware, operating systems, software and networking are are nothing else than necessary, cumbersome and easily replaceable evils to store and provide data. Triple backup your data at least, twice on-site, and another copy off-site.
mmm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mmm »

Is it necessary to use the terminal?
Wibol
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wibol »

mmm wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:22 am Is it necessary to use the terminal?
Only once to execute:

./VentoyGUI.x86_64

No olvides:
Wibol
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Wibol »

It is important to understand that once this command has been executed to format the flash drive and install Ventoy on it, it is no longer necessary to use it again. Copying and deleting ISOs can be done graphically from the file explorer.

The only reason to use the command again would be to update its software in the future if we start having problems or we want to install it on another stick.

No olvides:
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

I'm not a fan of the terminal because I have a lousy memory and can;t remember most of the necessary commands (and my typing sucks!) That doesn't keep me from using it most of the time, though. I get around my problem by, once I find some decent directions (something that can be hard to find), I make a tutorial for myself in Writer and use it whenever necessary. I copy and paste commands whenever possible to avoid typos.

For some frequently used, multi-line or long commands, I make aliases (using a tutorial I made, of course) with short names. Even then, I have to have a cheat sheet in the form of labels stuck to my computers.

I made my own tutorial based on trial and error based Wibol's otherwise excellent directions directions that my ADHD "blessed" mind can grasp and anytime I need to update my Ventoy disks (I have one for my desktop computer I keep in my desk and keep two in my laptop bag so I'll have a backup in case one dies while I'm out of town; USB sticks are a bit prone to failure).
Jeannie

all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

(I really wish manufacturers would settle on a single way to get to the boot menu, grub menu, and BIOS. :roll: )
+1for standardization
Raycoupe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Raycoupe »

mmm wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:22 am Is it necessary to use the terminal?
No, see my post above and the reply I got. Create a launcher and you don't have to use the terminal to launch the program.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

After I copy the LMDE iso to the Ventoy USB, can I boot LMDE and install it on the USB and save files in LMDE after it is installed, all on the USB?
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4

Return to “Tutorials”