Password-stealing Linux malware served for 3 years and no one noticed

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Password-stealing Linux malware served for 3 years and no one noticed

Post by rambo919 »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:36 am BYOD is and always has been a bad idea. Now I cannot be a complete hypocrite since I used my personal phone at work, to do work related stuff a lot even though I had been issued an iPhone. It was just "easier". But laptops, and other computers, IMHO, bad idea. We were not allowed to use personal devices for work, ever. The penalties were strict for that. Plus using your own could cost you a court case, which was a "Bad Thing". Still if they knew of the issue, and did not fix it shame on them.
The difference in scale and environment, in a small business where no one ever bothers to sue anyone it's not that unheard of if only to keep costs down for employees to use their own equipment.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

rambo919 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:17 am ... just because you live your digital life inside of FOSS does not mean anyone else does. There exists a great big wild world outside of of the oddly
FOSS- Free and open-source software
FDM - Free Download Manager

Free as in beer
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

The Muffin Man wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:28 am
rambo919 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:17 am ... just because you live your digital life inside of FOSS does not mean anyone else does. There exists a great big wild world outside of of the oddly
FOSS- Free and open-source software
FDM - Free Download Manager

Free as in beer
A correction then, OSS instead of FOSS.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

On it's face, direct quotes from:
https://www.freedownloadmanager.org/
FDM can boost all your downloads up to 10 times
That's pretty much impossible.

simultaneously download multiple files!
This is standard in Ubuntu/Mint/Debian

BitTorrent support
Download files using BitTorrent protocol.

Absolutely free and 100% safe

Free Download Manager is absolutely free and has no ads.
See the topic.

GNU General Public License

Free Download Manager is released under GNU Public License!
My FOSS world that no one else is part of.

Active spyware and adware protection through active communication among users

You can read what other community members say about the file you are going to download, right in the program window, and also leave your own opinion about the file you downloaded. In this way FDM users are always warned against useless or malicious files.
Message received and understood
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

The Muffin Man wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:45 am That's pretty much impossible.
Marketing, multiple connections per file.

Not in the same way FDM does it.
See the topic.
And? Being hacked is a feature?
My FOSS world that no one else is part of.
You really need to make up your mind about whether or not you accept these guys as part of FOSS.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

rambo919 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:28 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:36 am BYOD is and always has been a bad idea. Now I cannot be a complete hypocrite since I used my personal phone at work, to do work related stuff a lot even though I had been issued an iPhone. It was just "easier". But laptops, and other computers, IMHO, bad idea. We were not allowed to use personal devices for work, ever. The penalties were strict for that. Plus using your own could cost you a court case, which was a "Bad Thing". Still if they knew of the issue, and did not fix it shame on them.
The difference in scale and environment, in a small business where no one ever bothers to sue anyone it's not that unheard of if only to keep costs down for employees to use their own equipment.
You are correct, I am thinking of large businesses and governmental operations.
argentwolf
Level 4
Level 4

Post by argentwolf »

WTH, the link below just popped up on the forum...while I'm content with LMDE, does it really matter at the end of the day? My confidence in the integrity of "open source" just plummeted significantly. #TNO
No 'freeware server' (now not even the Canonical snap store) should be trusted...I stated exactly that in my first post in this thread. I personally don't think open source is any different than proprietary if no one examines the code, its idea has conditioned a false sense of integrity and security, and Linux 'repositories' manifestly offer up no exception. Could you imagine billions of Linux users and what malevolence within software's would be discovered, surface, or be exposed. And yet, I'm not sure I want Linux to popularize. :? :? :?
I've personally not known or read of anyone that audits open source code (with the exception of maybe Linus), and I've been using Linux for 15+ years. Have you?

"Snap security incident"
viewtopic.php?t=405006
Vanguard debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing whimsically.
LMDE 6 | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931GiB SSD | 298 GiB HD
LMDE 6| 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465 GiB SSD
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

I've seen many companies bet the farm on OpenSource.
If they'd only kept track of the hours keeping Spring up to date or Node up to date, they'd see how much it costs. Nothing is wrong with those technologies, it's just TANSTAAFL.

Return to “Chat about Linux”