How to install Wine on Mint 21.1

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Len67
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to install Wine on Mint 21.1

Post by Len67 »

A late addendum: I installed wine according to karlchen's longer instructions. After installing there was a wine menu but nothing in it. I ran winecfg from a terminal. Looked at it, but changed nothing. Closed it. Rebooted. And winecfg was now in the menu. Right clicked on a test program, but no launcher was available. Opened a terminal in the folder where I had the programs I wanted to install. I had previously checked the programs on the wine application database. Three were either gold or platinum. One was not on the database at all. Typed wine and the name of the program in the terminal. It installed. Installed three more programs the same way. All installed. Rebooted again. There were links on the desktop and in the wine folder. Three worked fine. including the one that was unlisted. Adobe digital reader didn't work well. I let things set for a few days. Still no wine program launcher. I tried "open with another application." None of the options appeared to have anything to do with wine. So I chose "use a custom command." There were some entries using the term wine. I chose one. Probably the wrong one. The programs would run sometimes. When they did run they has a small blue box that came up first, and then the program would be limited to the size of the small box. I couldn't find a way to make the box bigger. I am in my mid 70s. I have both vision and memory issues. I don't think I have the stamina to keep fighting the wine war. So I purged wine from my laptop. I hope your efforts work for you.
Omnimaxus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Omnimaxus »

Just a quick note to say "thanks" for the instructions provided here by the original poster (karlchen).

I followed them, and now Wine works perfectly on my fresh Linux Mint 21.3 installation. Thank you.
Zaedon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zaedon »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:42 pm It is really as simple as that

I apologize but through enough experience, i disagree.

Every...single..time I've tried doing simply sudo apt install wine-installer ( and this is with fresh installs of LM 18, 19, 20 and 21 ( as well as any fresh installs ..not upgrade of ##.x versions ) and launching winecfg it has never resulted in being able to launch any .exe file aka =- when right click a file and you can select to Open it with " Wine Windows Program Loader" . I've always had to follow the instructions at winehq.org per my specific Ubuntu/coherent distro version

Here are those exact instructions ( you can always create a new text file. and inside add to the very top line #!/bin/bash to make it a bashscript , then make the file executable and now..you have a simple gui clickable launcher button that does all the installing for you ....Just remember *** the instructions can change on one or multiple lines out of the whole meal deal depending on the Linux Mint Version coherent to the Ubuntu main version per the website..;) ** )

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
sudo mkdir -pm755 /etc/apt/keyrings
sudo wget -O /etc/apt/keyrings/winehq-archive.key https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo wget -NP /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/dists/jammy/winehq-jammy.sources
sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable -yy
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-staging -yy

I never understood why sudo apt install wine-installer never worked for me though. It makes no sense as I know, Karlchen, you've help out a massive amount of people and I don't recall any time your advice on something has been wrong.
I had to use this method to get Wine working! Thanks!
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I had to use this method to get Wine working! Thanks!
:) I'm happy you got Wine installed. If you do see that option of " Wine windows program loader", and you feel your issue has been resolved. please go back to your first post in this topic in the subject and put something like (( solved )) so others will know you no longer need help with this problem without the need to click the topic link.

Cheers.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

motoryzen wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:06 pm If you do see that option of " Wine windows program loader", and you feel your issue has been resolved. please go back to your first post in this topic in the subject and put something like (( solved )) so others will know you no longer need help with this problem without the need to click the topic link.
This is a sticky tutorial topic written by karlchen. It will not be marked Solved by anyone.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”