Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Professor_Slughorn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Folding@home-Team Linux Mint-76140

Post by Professor_Slughorn »

DisturbedDragon wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:32 am
You can give nvtop a try for monitoring your GPU's. It will give you more information and more accurate information on what your GPU's are doing.
Thanks. I just installed it and will keep an eye on things.

Part of the points drop was me. I probably paused folding while doing an update and never restarted the process for a few hours. The second issue was F@H decided to give me work units with really low points.

Daily Production
Day Points WUs
01.12.24 436,923 9
01.11.24 889,089 13
01.10.24 822,196 11
01.09.24 2,590,876 15
01.08.24 3,796,251 18
01.07.24 3,376,112 21
01.06.24 3,360,460 18
01.05.24 3,410,404 15
01.04.24 5,896,971 26
01.03.24 6,260,869 23
01.02.24 5,488,794 23
01.01.24 6,391,915 27
12.31.23 5,556,620

If you compare Jan 5 & 9 to Jan 10 & 11 you can see the big reduction in points per WU.

The good news is that I ordered a GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4060 EAGLE OC 8G Graphics Card. It should be here by Tuesday.

On a side note, has anyone tried "fold when idle"? I briefly tried it and it said “Waiting for idle system”. Was wondering when the system will actually enter an idle state and start folding?

Cheers.
Mint 21.2 MATE i5-12400F B660M 32GB RTX4060
Mint 21.3 XFCE i3-4130 8GB GT1030 Dell 3847(2013)
Mint 21.3 MATE i3-8100 8GB RTX2070S
BOINC (3 projects)
Professor_Slughorn
Level 2
Level 2

Some of you may have noticed that that I have stopped folding. I tried to get some help.
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=363358#p363358

I decided to send an email to Gregory Bowman, PhD (The Director of Folding@home). Here is part of my email: “...I was unable to find a technical reason for the drop in points. It appears as if the server is assigning very low value work units to my two computers. I would like to maximize my contribution to the project....”

Professor Bowman responded with: “… I'll check into it.”

Hopefully they can figure out a way to allow people to maximize their effort.
Cheers.
BOINC (3 projects)
DisturbedDragon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by DisturbedDragon »

Professor_Slughorn wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:10 pm Some of you may have noticed that that I have stopped folding. I tried to get some help.
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=363358#p363358

I decided to send an email to Gregory Bowman, PhD (The Director of Folding@home). Here is part of my email: “...I was unable to find a technical reason for the drop in points. It appears as if the server is assigning very low value work units to my two computers. I would like to maximize my contribution to the project....”

Professor Bowman responded with: “… I'll check into it.”

Hopefully they can figure out a way to allow people to maximize their effort.
Cheers.
I see we have hit Rank 92. Not sure if you have tried it, but you could re-install the FAH client. I have to each time my graphics driver updates because it kicks my GPU out stating no cuda or opencl. Don't have to remove it, just install the latest .deb and it's off again. Could help with your low ppd problem assuming it does not turn out to be a WU assignment issue.
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16C/32T | MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus | 2TB Mushkin Pilot-E NVMe | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe | 2x 2TB Inland Gen4 NVMe | 32GB Trident Z DDR4 3600 | Nvidia RTX4090 | Fedora 39 Cinnamon | Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon | Kernel 5.15.x lowlatency
Professor_Slughorn
Level 2
Level 2

Hello

I did consider reinstalling the software. There were a couple of reasons why I did not do this.

Part of the reason for leaving the project was that I was tired of trying things. It was becoming an endless loop of trial and error. At some point it is time to “cut bait”.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php? ... 5&start=15

Joe_H said in his reply: “First you need to figure out why your machines are not completing WUs before the deadlines.” How? You will notice that Joe does not even give a hint as to where I should begin. This is really a problem for F@H to solve not me. They built the software. They are receiving all my data. At the very least the software should give a user a warning that the completion rate is low. BOINC has an event log that allows a user to see what is happening in real time. I am not aware of anything like that in the F@H software. Nobody in the F@H forum has suggested there is something similar.

My actual completion rate was 16%. Was the low completion rate from the beginning or only during the last two weeks (points drop)? Did the client request a work unit and do part of the calculation? Or, did the client complete the calculation and fail to send it to the server? This is a question I cannot answer. F@H needs to address this issue.

Joe also said the “passkey is stored on the client and matched with valid passkeys.” The passkey was there on all 4 computers. When I requested my passkey it gave me a new key. This means that the server lost my original key. This is a problem that F@H needs to fix. https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey

You may have also noticed that one user suggested I type “cat /etc/fah-client/config.xml”. Fortunately the next user responded with “This file may contain an existing pass key and may contain other security sensitive info which you should not post here.” It goes to show that getting help on a forum comes with risk. I suspect this person thought I was on version 7 of the software.

The main reason for leaving the project was the way they assign work units. I would like to get the most bang for my dollar by picking the top 5 – 10 projects. My electricity bill increased by $50 in December. As a “donor” I should have a say in the type of projects.

If you sort the list found here: https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary by work units you will see that projects have a base credit ranging from 1,000 to 255,850. Is project “18425” 255 times more valuable than project “17111”? I counted 194 projects. If they limited the number of projects to 30 or 40 they would certainly get them done in less time.

Maybe in the future I will consider running the software on a PC or two. F@H needs to get beyond the Beta version of the client and give Donors the option of picking projects before I try again.

Good luck. You folks are getting some amazing numbers.
BOINC (3 projects)
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

I have been absent for a couple of days.

I had recently purchased a RTX GPU 4080, and wanted to put it to work “Protein Folding” for “Team Linux Mint" on behalf of Stanford University in America·

I decided to simply mount the motherboard onto a perspex base plate and then assemble the rest of the computer without a case. The computer was connected to an Arctic Freezer 360 on an AMD 5800x CPU. All going well.

I do a lot of watercolor painting on the desk where the computer sat, and have 2 large 1 pint beer mugs with handles for the water, and never in my wildest dreams could I envisage one of them being knocked over. I had finished painting for the day and there were 2 brushes left in one of the water containers, as I reached for it the handle slipped inside the gap of my shirt where the button hole of the cuff is and I just pulled the water container over.

Blind panic as I saw a tidal wave heading for the bare bones computer. I snatched the paining towel and threw masses of paper towel onto the water. Luckily it reached the computer but did not get above the perspex base plate. I decide that I had better buy a case and hopefully just transfer the computer into it without breaking anything down. I looked for a case with a large hole in the top with the hope that I could hold the motherboard in one hand and the cooler in the other hand and turn the cooler onto its side and push it out the top of the computer case. It was awkward as I thought it would be, but all completed.

I eagerly turned it on and the 3 cooler fans all spun up and the 6 case fans all spun up as well, the only problem was there was NO output to the monitor.

After watching many hours of Youtube videos to look for reasons, all a bit contradictory I sat and made a detailed list of everything to check. I carried out the full list but it still had no output to the screen.

I had so far spent a whole day and half on it and as I sat I just looked and I could not believe the stupid mistake. The HDMI cable from the monitor was connected to the HDMI out of the motherboard, it should have gone to the HDMI output on the GPU.

I changed the cable over, it booted first time and I am back in business.

A cautionary tale you think

Best regards Keith

p.s

the case is an MONTECH 95 King Pro. The design and workmanship is top class even against my Lian Li. It comes with 6 fans preinstalled and for the price it simply cannot be beaten. Very highly recommended.
Attachments
MONTECH 95 King Pro..jpg
Jeff13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeff13 »

Hi Folks:

With Spring comes my dreaded enemy, heat. My numbers will start dipping lower depending on Oklahoma weather.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

over the past week I have suffered a problem once the work unit has completed.

Normally the upload and download would occur at the same time and would take but seconds. Lately the upload has been taking up to 16 minutes.

Is anybody having the same issue?

Any ideas welcome

Best regards Keith
Jeff13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Jeff13 »

Hi Keith,

It happens to me occasionally too. Looking at the FAH server stats, several are down and their busiest server is giving some errors. They will fix it in a bit (anything from hours to days) and things will go back to normal. If a WU doesn't get sent the first try the retrys slowly get further apart. I admit it's frustrating to just have to watch the WU's value count down. Grrrr. It's most likely not an issue on your end.

Jeff
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi Jeff13,

all of the work units are from the same server fah1.innovatr.ca

I have looked at four different work units this morning, 1 was a fast upload and 3 were 16 to 17 minutes to upload.

I thought that just maybe all 3 of the computers were tying to upload at the same time, but they were not, so I am left with just accepting that this is how it is and hope that at some point in time it gets back to normal, as it effect the total time taken to return a unit and therefore effects the points.

Have a good day

Best regards Keith

Return to “Software & Applications”