Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rikka

Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Post by Rikka »

Hi!

i'm not overly experienced with linux but have done a bit.

i'm really confused about trying to install Gedit-Plugins while running Linux Mint 16 (petra).

trying to install it via Mint's native software manager doesn't allow me to click the program within the manager, synaptic and terminal both give me this:

Code: Select all

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
now, i naturally assumed this mean i had a broken package- i don't according to synaptic.

regardless i ran:

$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
$ sudo apt-get -f install
Are the plugins just not compatible?

as per another similar question about held broken packages, heres my output for a few commands:

$ sudo apt-get install gedit-plugins
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gedit-plugins : Depends: gedit (>= 3.8) but 2.30.5+petra is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

$ apt-cache policy gedit-plugins
gedit-plugins:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 3.8.3-2ubuntu1
  Version table:
     3.8.3-2ubuntu1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/universe i386 Packages

thank you so much!

~Rikka
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Gedit-Plugins- You have held broken packages

Post by jungle_boy »

I think that there is something unstable in LM16; here I ran "sudo apt-get install gedit-plugins", and installed fine gedit-plugins (I am running Lm14, Cinnamon).
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Rikka wrote:

What an unfortunate series of events.
  1. Starting from Mint 14, Mint provides its own gedit package in addition to Ubuntu's one. It's an old version (2.30.x) while Ubuntu repos contain 3.x. Mint's repository has priority over Ubuntu's, so by default you get the older version.
  2. Starting from Ubuntu 13.10 (on which Mint 16 is based), gedit-plugins depends on "gedit (>= 3.8)" instead of just "gedit" like it was before. That means you can't just install them when you have the old version of gedit (2.30.x) installed.
What can be done?
  1. Install the new gedit (3.x) from Ubuntu repos, then install gedit-plugins.

or
  2. Try installing gedit-plugins from the previous Ubuntu versions (look here for possible variants).
Rikka

Post by Rikka »

Monsta wrote:
Rikka wrote:

What an unfortunate series of events.
  1. Starting from Mint 14, Mint provides its own gedit package in addition to Ubuntu's one. It's an old version (2.30.x) while Ubuntu repos contain 3.x. Mint's repository has priority over Ubuntu's, so by default you get the older version.
  2. Starting from Ubuntu 13.10 (on which Mint 16 is based), gedit-plugins depends on "gedit (>= 3.8)" instead of just "gedit" like it was before. That means you can't just install them when you have the old version of gedit (2.30.x) installed.
What can be done?
  1. Install the new gedit (3.x) from Ubuntu repos, then install gedit-plugins.

or
  2. Try installing gedit-plugins from the previous Ubuntu versions (look here for possible variants).
thank you so much, seriously, i would've never figured it out!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You can install the gedit-plugins for the gedit version that ships with Linux Mint. First remove gedit-plugins if you managed to get it installed, then follow this to install and pin the older version: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p788466

Alternative is to remove the Linux Mint version of gedit and install the Ubuntu version. Commands specific for Linux Mint 16:

apt purge gedit gedit-common
apt install gedit/saucy gedit-common/saucy
You can now use the gedit-plugins from the repository also. This is a newer gedit version, which users may experience as having reduced functionality and usability.
Rikka

Post by Rikka »

xenopeek wrote:You can install the gedit-plugins for the gedit version that ships with Linux Mint. First remove gedit-plugins if you managed to get it installed, then follow this to install and pin the older version: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p788466

Alternative is to remove the Linux Mint version of gedit and install the Ubuntu version. Commands specific for Linux Mint 16:

apt purge gedit gedit-common
apt install gedit/saucy gedit-common/saucy
You can now use the gedit-plugins from the repository also. This is a newer gedit version, which users may experience as having reduced functionality and usability.

Darn, wish I'd seen this earlier!

I removed the Gedit that ships with mint and installed the Ubuntu version.

Would you say it's worth removing it and re-installing the mint version then installing the linked packages?

I'm not sure what the difference between versions is!

God that came out so fumbled basically- is it better to install the Ubuntu version or the plugins you linked?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The plugins that I linked to are of course old, for the older version. Nothing new is being added to that. I don't know, but the newer version of the plugins might have more plugins or better ones.

If you don't experience the newer gedit version that you now have installed as being less functional or less usable, then just continue using it :wink:
Rikka

Post by Rikka »

xenopeek wrote:The plugins that I linked to are of course old, for the older version. Nothing new is being added to that. I don't know, but the newer version of the plugins might have more plugins or better ones.

If you don't experience the newer gedit version that you now have installed as being less functional or less usable, then just continue using it :wink:

Great, thank you so much for your help!

Return to “Software & Applications”