failed to start the x server (solved)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
uncleray

failed to start the x server (solved)

Post by uncleray »

Howdy all.....newbe here......I'd thought I'd ditch windows 8 for linux mint 15 but it won't boot up. An error message appears that says "failed to start the x server (your graphical interface.....) I have a radeon hd8400 graphics.....on a AMD quad core....does anyone know how to fix this bug?....thanks.....btw I don't know much about linux so you might have to dumb it down for me......
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: failed to start the x server

Post by kukamuumuka »

You have to make a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

1. Press Ctrl Alt F2 on the login screen
2. Login to the command line
3. Run command sudo killall Xorg
4. Run commands sudo Xorg -configure
sudo cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo reboot
uncleray

Post by uncleray »

thank you....I'll try it and let you know how it works.....
uncleray

Post by uncleray »

administrollaattori wrote:You have to make a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

1. Press Ctrl Alt F2 on the login screen
2. Login to the command line
sudo cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo reboot
I tried it but it didn't work.....Thanks though....Can you think of anything else I should try? Maybe I'm not logging into the command line right....I don't know...
uncleray

Post by uncleray »

I've decided document my plight step by step for anybody out there who wishes to point me in the right direction on my website blog. Go to http://www.summerville-home-inspector.com/content/failed-start-x-server-linux for details....Thanks all.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

uncleray wrote:I've decided document my plight step by step for anybody out there who wishes to point me in the right direction on my website blog. Go to http://www.summerville-home-inspector.com/content/failed-start-x-server-linux for details....Thanks all.
In your case the commands are:
sudo cp /home/mint/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo reboot
uncleray

Post by uncleray »

sudo reboot
I ran the commands as indicated but get the message " no such file or directory" I'm also concerned about the command to reboot..... since i'm installing from dvd will the command to reboot kick the dvd out and then I'll have to start over again? Since I have to copy a file from the dvd do I not have to specify the drive letter to get the file and the destination folder to copy to where ever that may be.(a temp file maybe) .... Should I not have to tell Linux to continue to boot from the dvd.....I'm just trying to understand the process here. Thanks for your help.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

uncleray wrote:
sudo reboot
I ran the commands as indicated but get the message " no such file or directory" I'm also concerned about the command to reboot..... since i'm installing from dvd will the command to reboot kick the dvd out and then I'll have to start over again? Since I have to copy a file from the dvd do I not have to specify the drive letter to get the file and the destination folder to copy to where ever that may be.(a temp file maybe) .... Should I not have to tell Linux to continue to boot from the dvd.....I'm just trying to understand the process here. Thanks for your help.
There is a cap between target and destination .. :wink:
sudo cp /home/mint/xorg.conf.new space here /etc/X11/xorg.conf
uncleray

Post by uncleray »

I realized my mistake the first time I typed it in (so I retyped it) but I got the message cannot stat /home/mint/xorg.conf.new /etc/ no such file or directory (I'm not really sure what stat means....)
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

uncleray wrote:
I realized my mistake the first time I typed it in (so I retyped it) but I got the message cannot stat /home/mint/xorg.conf.new /etc/ no such file or directory (I'm not really sure what stat means....)
Weid .. :shock: On your picture, the file is located /home/mint/xorg.conf.new

If you are on the your home folder, the contents finds out using command ls (ell ss), which list the files and folders.
uncleray

Post by uncleray »

doesn't seem to list anything.....
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

uncleray wrote:doesn't seem to list anything.....
Is this problem occurring when booting the live dvd or is this booting the installed system :?:
uncleray

Post by uncleray »

I'm using the live dvd...
uncleray

Post by uncleray »

I'm booting to the live dvd .....the disk itself seems to work in my older xp machine....
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

uncleray wrote:I'm using the live dvd...
Did you check the integrity of the iso file. You shouldn't have an xserver screen error with a live dvd.

When burning it use the slowest speed offered by the application.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

uncleray wrote:I'm booting to the live dvd .....the disk itself seems to work in my older xp machine....
LOL. You did not say that you have not installed the system. In your case the commands are:

Code: Select all

sudo Xorg -configure
startx
uncleray

Post by uncleray »

sudo Xorg -configure
startx
ok....even though I thought I had tried that it worked..... must have been the way I was holding my mouth.....thanks..
To retrace my steps....when "failed to start x server....would you like to diagnose problem?" came up I chose no, then I entered the code above and presto. Thanks again.
Now...The linux screen is up but there is a warning "running w/o hardware acceleration..." any advice?
raelxx

Re: failed to start the x server (solved)

Post by raelxx »

It didn't solve for me. After the first line, I get an error which is something like "the number of devices is different from the number of displays". It's odd, though, as my onboard card is deactivated and I only have one monitor connected to it.

The second line returns the error "no such directory". And of course the third and last line does nothing.

Also the X server output returns this error: "bonaire is not a recognized processor for this target"

This really pisses me off as a new build, Mint 16, fails to simply boot a live usb flashdrive.
ZekeAdebayo

Vibrating Secondary Display with Linux 17.3

Post by ZekeAdebayo »

My name is Zeke I'm currently using Linux Mint 17.3 and I've been having an issue in which whenever I connect my display to my tv via hdmi the images on the secondary screen (my HDTV) looks like it's vibrating but my laptop itself stays fine. To add to that, part of the screen also gets cut off which I can only identify as a scaling issue in itself. I installed the compizconfig settings manager but my version didn't offer me much options, I wasn't given the ability to scale or adjust my screen frame rate. Unfortunately my tv doesn't offer those settings either. Below are the specs from my computer. I've using a Dynex 37" tv as well. The vibrating images do stop if I move down from 1920 x 1080 to 1280 x 720 but I don't want to move down in resolution. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Info are as followed

Computer: Lenovo G505 (Quad Core 2.0Ghz varient)
Linux Kernel: 4.4.2-040402-generic
Processor: AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics x4
Memory: 3.3 GIB
Hard Drives: 27.1 GB ( Think this is what I have allocated for Linux alone.
Graphics Card: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD/ATI) Kabini (Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series) (prog-if 00 (VGA controller)).
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: failed to start the x server (solved)

Post by austin.texas »

ZekeAdebayo, you really should start a new thread with your problem, rather than adding to a very old discussion.
Addressing more than one problem in a thread gets too confusing.
Thanks.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Return to “Installation & Boot”