[SOLVED] Connect Linux to a Windows Domain Controller Server

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwisher

[SOLVED] Connect Linux to a Windows Domain Controller Server

Post by kwisher »

Hello All,

I have the opportunity where I work to give Linux a trial run. This will be the very first Linux install at this facility. We have roughly 20 Windows PC's on a Windows 2008 Domain Name Controller server. The particular area I work in is the design/engineering. I recently discovered the CAD software we use (UniGraphics NX) has recently started porting their software to Linux. What I need to know is how to connect a Linux client to Windows DNC. I went ahead and Installed Ubuntu Hardy using the WUBI installer. When I boot into Ubuntu, I can see the server shares on the network but have no access to anything. Can anyone provide some instructions on how to make this work?

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clpowell

Re: Connect Linux to a Windows Domain Controller Server

Post by clpowell »

Download and install Likewise, it provides the ability for linux and macs to authenticate to a windows domain. Hope this helps.
kwisher

Re: Connect Linux to a Windows Domain Controller Server

Post by kwisher »

clpowell wrote:Download and install Likewise, it provides the ability for linux and macs to authenticate to a windows domain. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your response. I had found a post on the Ubuntu forum referring to Likewise before seeing your response. I installed Likewise and it looks like the solution I need. Now I just need to get the cooperation from our IT manager to setup a new account for my Ubuntu install.

Return to “Networking”