[Solved]Linux Mint 16 - Cannot ADD new User

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laurieh
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved]Linux Mint 16 - Cannot ADD new User

Post by laurieh »

Installed Petra yesterday, installation was easy and smooth. Today I tried adding a new user Admin/Users and Groups clicked Add then filled out the pop up box, simple so far, then clicked Add, on pop up box, nothing happened, rebooted and tried again, same thing. So, am I doing something wrong or is there a bug? As a side issue I have also lost my "Computer" and "Home" icons from my desktop, although they are checked in System Settings/Desktop, I can add and remove the trash can...but removing and adding the "Computer" or "Home" icons do nothing.

Ok, a bit more info. Have managed to add a new user, but hey, the way it is done is crap. The pop up asks for Full Name: e.g. Frank Blogs, then User Name:(this is where it gets really weird) the username MUST be the users first name but all in lower case e.g. frank. It becomes more strange after you "Add" the new account, when you check the user it shows the "Username" as the "Group."
Last edited by laurieh on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 16 - Cannot ADD new User

Post by xenopeek »

Please report findings about Linux Mint 16 RC Cinnamon on the blog, so they can be addressed by the developers for the final release. There is already a comment there about adding users, perhaps related to yours? http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2477#comment-101236
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Code: Select all

sudo useradd -m username -s /bin/bash
sudo passwd username
sudo adduser username admin
sudo adduser username sudo
Last edited by kukamuumuka on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YepPatrick

Post by YepPatrick »

Thank you for that. There is a bug when logging out then back in as another user. The system seems to hangs. Is there a way to fix that. I would like to keep mint 16. Thanks
Geekgasm

Post by Geekgasm »

I'm having completely the opposite problem; I am unable to delete user profiles, even though I'm in the admin account.
Also new users that are set to standard automatically login; even though when I installed Mint 16, I specifically set it to NOT login automatically.

This is extremely frustrating!
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Geekgasm wrote:I'm having completely the opposite problem; I am unable to delete user profiles, even though I'm in the admin account.

Code: Select all

sudo userdel username
sudo rm -rf /home/username
hikerVancouver

Re: [Solved]Linux Mint 16 - Cannot ADD new User

Post by hikerVancouver »

In "Full Name" field enter the name of the group, and in "user name" enter desired user name. eg "Full Name": "users", "User Name": "bob". Confusing, I agree.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

hikerVancouver wrote:In "Full Name" field enter the name of the group, and in "user name" enter desired user name. eg "Full Name": "users", "User Name": "bob". Confusing, I agree.
Why are you kicking up an ancient thread from more than a year ago? :shock:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Topic was already solved. Locking.

Return to “Beginner Questions”