Automatic Login being ignored

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Automatic Login being ignored

Post by Oldbwl »

I have set my Account to automatically login. I can see a tick next to the name in the Accounts settings panel. But regardless I still arrive at MDM and get asked for a password.

I have set and unset this several times without any change.

Can anyone make any suggestions how to fix this.

Thanks

Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Automatic Login being ignored

Post by xenopeek »

Accounts? You set automatic login in Login Window application I believe. On the security tab.

You might be running an older version of Linux Mint, where some relics from Gnome 3 are still included--such as the broken Accounts applications.
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldbwl »

Auto Login is in the Systems Settings/User Accounts. And I should have said I am running a fresh install of Mint 15 Cinnamon. Sorry I was rushing to sort this and missed the crucial info.

Dan
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Then the broken User Accounts is still included, sorry. Again, Login Window is the application you use to configure MDM. Not User Accounts.
Oldbwl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Oldbwl »

How bizarre, I have a second pc with Linux Mint Cinnamon 14 and it works perfectly as expected there.

I did use MDM (Login Window) to select a GDM theme just after the first install, now I have completed my setup and apps etc. I want to be able to reboot remotely so auto login is important to me. But I don't see the connection in the GDM theme causing the Autologin to fail.
lawrencemaria

Re: Automatic Login being ignored on Linux Mint 15 Olivia

Post by lawrencemaria »

Oldbwl wrote:I have set my Account to automatically login. I can see a tick next to the name in the Accounts settings panel. But regardless I still arrive at MDM and get asked for a password.

I have set and unset this several times without any change.

Can anyone make any suggestions how to fix this.

Thanks

Dan
I have exactly the same problem. Tried every option -but land up on a login screen nevertheless!
Den

Re: Automatic Login being ignored SOLVED

Post by Den »

Automatic Login Mint 15

To change from password login to automatic login :-
Open System Settings and click on Login Screen icon (not User Account icon) listed under the Preference label.
On the Login Screen Preference window select the Security tab. Tick the Enable Automatic Login box and select the User from the dropdown selection box next to it.

Return to “Cinnamon”