change default transimssion to deluge (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stumbles

change default transimssion to deluge (solved)

Post by stumbles »

hi
just a quickie I can't for the life of me find a way to make deluge and not transimssion torrent prog my default selection
apart from completely removing the transimssion prog from my laptop is there a way to achieve this
I use linux Mint Cinnamon 13 LTS 64Bit edition
any pointers would be appreciated with thanks for your time and patience . . .
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: change default transimssion to deluge

Post by xenopeek »

If you haven't do so already, I'd recommend you enable the backports repository, so you get the newer Cinnamon and Nemo as a file manager: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225. With the default Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon you will have Nautilus as a file manager, which has removed functionality that you need.

Anyway, assuming you are using Firefox as your browser, instead of opening a .torrent file with Transmission, select to download the .torrent file. Then right-click it in your file manager Nemo, and select Properties from the context menu. Then go to the Open With tab, and change the default, or add a program first, that you want to handle these kind of files by default. I think that is how Firefox figures out with which program to open the file. As I couldn't find it in Firefox's Preferences > Applications settings.
stumbles

Re: change default transimssion to deluge

Post by stumbles »

xenopeek wrote:If you haven't do so already, I'd recommend you enable the backports repository, so you get the newer Cinnamon and Nemo as a file manager: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225. With the default Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon you will have Nautilus as a file manager, which has removed functionality that you need.

Anyway, assuming you are using Firefox as your browser, instead of opening a .torrent file with Transmission, select to download the .torrent file. Then right-click it in your file manager Nemo, and select Properties from the context menu. Then go to the Open With tab, and change the default, or add a program first, that you want to handle these kind of files by default. I think that is how Firefox figures out with which program to open the file. As I couldn't find it in Firefox's Preferences > Applications settings.

Hi did as you suggested and now have Deluge set as default torrent programme thanks for your help :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”