Mint 13 asks for login password on shutdown

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ummagumma
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 13 asks for login password on shutdown

Post by ummagumma »

I've been happily using Mint 13 Maya for a while now however an odd problem has reared it's head. I'm not really sure if it even justifies the term "problem" but it's slightly annoying nonetheless.

Mint used to shutdown in approximately 12 seconds on my (admittedly old) laptop with the only message being something about modem catching something and shutting down, it went so fast I never got the chance to read it properly.

However, now the first thing shown in the black screen is "Mint 13 Maya <my computer name> login:"

Then it sits there for about 15 seconds (nothing is typeable) and finally I get the modem message and it shuts down fine.

Any ideas what's causing it? I'm not even really sure how to begin finding out. Is there "programs that run on shutdown" type thing?

Any advice very much appreciated.

EDIT: forgot to say, I'm running Mint 13 on a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop with the MATE desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ummagumma
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 13 asks for login password on shutdown

Post by ummagumma »

Polite bump...

And further to the first post, the message that sits there is "Mint 13 Maya <my computer name> tty login:"
garolou

Post by garolou »

If you have a stantard setup, pressing CTRL-ALT-F1, or CTRL-ALT-F2 ... and so on through F7 will open a system terminal. CTRL-ALT-F8 will bring you back to your desktop. What I think you see (and I see also) at shutdown is a terminal appearing after the desktop has shutdown. Try swithching to another terminal at that time and you should find one where you can see lines of the shutdown process scrolling.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

"Then it sits there for about 15 seconds (nothing is typeable) and finally I get the modem message and it shuts down fine.
Any ideas what's causing it?"
That is normal as linux is shutting down processes,daemons,services. Same thing happens in windows. They just slap a Pic up instead of showing you the shutdown process. You can see Windows startup same with hitting f8 and boot with command line mode will show drivers and services being loaded,etc...

Older Linux screens showed these processes on bootup and shutdown by default.

Return to “Software & Applications”