Nemo Slow to Load Folders [Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ibozzie

Nemo Slow to Load Folders [Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon]

Post by ibozzie »

I'm getting a noticable lag when navigating around standard folders in the filesystem. It's taking much longer than it should to load and display folder contents. I just set Nemo to default file manager and uninstalled Nautilus. I originally installed Linux Mint 14 Mate, but switched over to Cinnamon about a week ago - could that have anything to do with it? My machine is a Dell XPS 15 L502X.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gogolink
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Nemo Slow to Load Folders [Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon]

Post by gogolink »

I have the same issue. Just upgraded to Mint 14 (Nadia) from 13 (Maya); clear install, but I did have a separate home partition, which I retained. (I'm just mentioning this in case the slowness of Nemo could have something to do with the files manager using old Nautilus user data; it did, after all, remember my Nautilus bookmarks.)
Pwnalizer

Post by Pwnalizer »

I have the same problem

Code: Select all

$ nemo --version
nemo 1.1.2

$ uname -a
Linux tom-X230 3.5.0-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Tue Dec 11 18:52:46 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

$ cat /etc/linuxmint/info
RELEASE=14
CODENAME=nadia
EDITION="MATE 32-bit"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 14 Nadia"
DESKTOP=MATE
TOOLKIT=GTK
NEW_FEATURES_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_nadia_whatsnew.php
RELEASE_NOTES_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_nadia.php
USER_GUIDE_URL=http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php
GRUB_TITLE=Linux Mint 14 MATE 32-bit
ibozzie wrote:I originally installed Linux Mint 14 Mate, but switched over to Cinnamon about a week ago - could that have anything to do with it? My machine is a Dell XPS 15 L502X.
So did I. I think it is related to some leftovers of Mate, though I don't know which ones.
pnneves

Post by pnneves »

Same thing happened to me...using mint 14 Cinnamon 32b. Tried completely uninstalling nautilus, but did not fix it.
Anybody has some clue on how to fix this? It's really annoying cause there's a considerable lag when opening folders with even just 2-3 items :P.

Thx in advance
Co6aka

Post by Co6aka »

FWIW...

I've been experiencing the same sluggishness on three of four boxes running Ubuntu Quantal (desktop/64) with Cinnamon/Nemo. The box that WASN'T exhibiting the sluggishness was subscribed to the STABLE PPA, but yesterday when I switched it to the NIGHTLY PPA it immediately began exhibiting the same sluggishness. :shock:

Another "feature" of the sluggishness is the (majorly-annoying) repetitive column auto-resizing... :evil: -- happens on all four boxes now -- makes me dizzy.

I haven't (yet) tried rolling back one of the boxes to the STABLE PPA to see if there's any change. I'll give that a go over the weekend though.
Co6aka

Post by Co6aka »

Haven't been able to undo whatever happened when I "upgraded" to the nightly PPA; even completely removing Cinnamon/Nemo and reinstalling from the stable PPA doesn't resolve the excruciating SLUG-ishness and etc. (???!!!)

Installed SpaceFM and it's supersonic compared to Nemo, so gonna take a guess the problem is in Nemo. (Both stable and nightly Cinnamon PPA.) Also gonna take a guess it has something to do with the column auto-resizing, which goes on and on and on and on and... :evil:
kibatz

Post by kibatz »

i have the same problem on GNU/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64Bit.

More strangly i have an SSD Crucial, so it should have insta reaction.

IT s strange because right after install Nemo was reacting at light speed.

i had the same issue with Mint 10 Gnome 64 bits. It started to happend when i have moved all my fils to my home, i think the issue come with a lot of files in the home.

But now with Mint 14 it worst, i take like 5 sec to close a folder, 5 sec to load a folde with 1 file.

it might come from the theme, i use OMG from gnome-look.org

or

it might come from the icon theme, faenza 1.3

i have to investigate...

it s really anoying... normaly with GNU/Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 64Bit + SSD Crucial @ 6Go/sec, i whould have an OS reacting @ lightspeed...
-mathsLin

Post by -mathsLin »

I find cinnamon folder navigation much slower than Windoo$e explorer
coyopa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coyopa »

Any progress on this? It's maddening & a serious flaw in an otherwise great distro...
ibozzie

Post by ibozzie »

I quite agree -- no luck here, unfortunately.
kibatz

Post by kibatz »

I had the same problem, i've reinstaleld Mint 14 and everything is worked perfect.

I have my /home on a separate partition. i've erased all the hidded folder (I've just keepped firefox/thunderbird settings).

I had really strong issue, 1 minute to load a folder with one file in it. It might be because i restarted and restarted Cinnamon (playing with theme)

Now if you have that problem from a fresh install it s an other thing...
gogolink
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gogolink »

I also have /home partition separate; so when I installed Mint 14, it took over user data from Mint 13. Perhaps including data from Nautilus that might now have interfered with Nemo?

So I uninstalled Nemo and removed configuration files (supposedly) by doing

sudo apt-get --purge remove nemo
...then used Thunar to delete hidden folders:
/home/username/.config/nautilus
/home/username/.config/nautilus-actions
/home/username/.config/nemo

...and just for good measure, via Synaptic completely removed libnemo-extension1 and nemo-data.

Those two I had to mark for installation again before I was allowed, still from Synaptic, to mark Nemo for installation. (I guess removing libnemo-extension1 and nemo-data was pointless.) Also (re)installed nemo-dropbox.

The result? I do think Nemo is faster now than it was before. It's still not lightning-fast, though; takes a bit over 20 seconds to load a folder (as in: switch to that folder while Nemo is already running) that contains 440 image files that amount to a bit under 100 MB; and that's in list view and after I having had the folder open several times already (meaning the little thumbs should be cached). Given that I'm running Mint 14 Cinnamon on a machine with a relatively pedestrian 1.83GHz processor with 2 GB DDR Ram, that's perhaps all I can expect; it's something that I can live with. (Thunar is much faster, of course; but I do miss search capabilities.)

(I also have Mint 14 installed on a computer with 4 or 6 GB Ram and a faster processor (don't remember right now; the computer's at work), and there Nemo is quite fast -- on a fresh install, with no Mint 13 or anything relevant previously installed.)

One thing I might still try out. Even after deleting the Nautilus- and Nemo-folders in .config, Nemo (after being re-installed) still remembered my bookmarks, and loaded the files in an order it knew from before (= not strictly alphabetically; a bunch of files would load faster or earlier). I vaguely remember that Cinnamon somewhere stores user info it would use for any file manager, such as bookmarks. I wonder whether it would be worth a try locating where that info is stored, and erasing it as well.
Co6aka

Post by Co6aka »

On one machine I've switched back to Nautilus (3.4.2) for both FM and Desktop management (completely removed nemo) and it's clearly much faster. But, SpaceFM is still noticibly faster (as a file manager.)

The repetitive column auto-resizing in Nemo is excruciatingly annoying, AND it takes up a lot of time. :evil: I wish there was a way to disable it.
Booman

Post by Booman »

I'm experiencing the same slowness/lagging in Mint 14 Cinnamon.
I posted in a forum elsewhere in Mint forums.
I wouldn't mind removing Nemo but am afraid that I might break something in the process.
It seems that

apt-get remove nemo
isnt' enough to really remove all of it.
I've never had these problems in the past and I do a LOT of copy/paste over my network so I can install games.
This Nemo slowness and even freezing makes it impossible to use.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi there,

Can you give me an example of when nemo is sluggish? For instance, can you install nautilus alongside it and describe a sequence of actions which are slower to perform in nemo than in nautilus?
pnneves

Post by pnneves »

Just a normal open folder action is much slower than one would expect, even for a folder with just 2 or 3 items.

I'm using mint 14-32b-Cinnamon on an iMac 8.1 (Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz, 4GB Ram) and on an Asus U36SG laptop (Core i5 Sandy Bridge, 2.5 GHz, 6GB Ram) and both machines show this behaviour...it started happening "just like that" when I started using mint 14 (previously I had been using mint 11 on both machines for quite some time and didn't have this problem: nautilus was really snappy; btw, mint 14 was a clean install in both cases).
Have tried removing nautilus (though I've kept the nautilus-data package, since unistalling it would touch lot of packages and I was afraid to break the system); this didn't solve the problem, however.

Pls Help!!! This really is a crippling issue, it's darn slow to navigate the filesystem the way nemo is right now...

Thx a lot for paying attention to this issue, Thx even more if u can solve it!

All the best and keep up the good work you and the mint team have been doing until now (love the way Cinnamon is evolving!).
jiawen
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jiawen »

Using Linux Mint 14, I'm noting this behavior (extremely slow file operations) with Nemo, Nautilus and Caja. I've even had the experience that creating a new directory on a USB drive results in a "File operation" window with status bar opening -- something that should be nearly instantaneous. Also, I tried to transfer about 2 GB of files to a TrueCrypt directory and it completely hung the window manager -- the clock still operated but no windows were responsive.
Booman

Post by Booman »

clem wrote:Hi there,

Can you give me an example of when nemo is sluggish? For instance, can you install nautilus alongside it and describe a sequence of actions which are slower to perform in nemo than in nautilus?
In my case, I would copy a game folder from my Fedora 8 server with Samba and paste in Mint 14.
The copy would start and then stop at random % and never finish.
I would wait and wait and wait... nothing.
But copying it again would result in a warning saying there is already and operation in process.
So I would have to:

killall nemo
to stop the operation, then:

nemo
to try again.
Copying game folders from Windows xp, vista, win7 with Samba works perfectly fine.
I've copied games folders that were 11 Gigs in size.

I know that a lot of small files takes longer than a few large files, but nemo just freezes completely and never finishes.

I tried installing Nautilus and it will finish the copy process just fine, but it can be pretty slow too.
ublungu

Post by ublungu »

Clean new installation of mint cinnamon keeping only home partition intact solved the problem with Nemo for me. The problem I had with the Cinnamon menu being also slow was completely unrelated and solved it by changing settings in Cairo dock (taskbar behavior -> none).
Last edited by ublungu on Fri May 03, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gogolink
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gogolink »

Nothing's happened on this? I mainly use Thunar now, though I do miss Nemo's search capabilities; but loading any folder in Nemo still takes a really long time. CPU usage goes up pretty high as Nemo is loading, reaches percentages in the nineties on my admittedly no longer state-of-the-art computer. (Processor: 2x Intel Core2 Duo T5550 @ 1.83GHz, Memory: 2GB)

I'm still wondering whether this might have something to so with what I had installed previously. I'm running Mint 14, from fresh install, but retained my /home partition; had run Mint 13 before, with Nautilus as the default file manager.

Return to “Cinnamon”