How to image current Mint 14 install and move to new Drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
housry23

How to image current Mint 14 install and move to new Drive

Post by housry23 »

I searched but could not find the answer here. I am currently running Linux Mint 14 64-bit on a 120GB SSD. My computer is an Acer Aspire Laptop V3-551-8887 and has been upgraded from 4GB to 8GB of RAM and has the SSD instead of the HDD that came with it. I bought a new SSD and it will be here on Wednesday. It's a 240GB SSD. My question is, is there any way to image my current Linux Mint 14 drive onto my external drive or to a USB flash drive and then move it to the new SSD when it gets here? I can do a fresh install, but would rather just keep my existing setup because I am compiling Cyanogenmod from source and don't want to go through the whole setup again. Also, I have automatic TRIM enabled. Will this mess that up? Since the new drive is bigger will anything else get messed up?

If any more information is needed, please let me know. I'll certainly provide any info you need. Thanks in advance for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
housry23

Re: How to image current Mint 14 install and move to new Dri

Post by housry23 »

I think I may have found my answer. I'm going to try Clonezilla and/or Parted Magic to do this. Which one would be better? Does Clonezilla come with any type of recovery software that will allow me to restore my current setup to the new SSD from the backup? I figure I'll boot from Clonezilla, make a clone of the the current SSD onto my external drive, power down the system, swap in the new SSD and restore the clone I created to the new SSD using the Clonezilla live CD. Or would Parted Magic work better? I know Parted Magic comes with Clonezilla. Anyway, I am hoping if someone has any experience with doing something like, that they will share with me what they did successfully.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

As you know Parted Magic has Clonzilla and works a treat for cloning. It also works for backing up images. However I find Redo much better at backing up - much easier to use, (for backing up) due to the dedicated gui/system/live CD. Just a shame it cant clone.

After you've cloned the drive over to the new one you'll need to use Gparted ( again on Parted Magic) to increase the size of the partitions, as they will be the same as the old, smaller drive.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

for me, I would just use gparted ( run from Live ) to copy the internal drive and paste to unallocated space of a USB drive, thus created a clone.

To install on new drive, after physically installed and cabled , run Live DVD/usb, plug in USB drive with clone,
use gparted again, copy the clone partition from USB drive and paste to the new hard disk's unallocated space.
Whatever spare spare can be extended with gparted, or usually I would just format it to ntfs and let it share files with windows OS and any other Linux OS.
After that install boot loader onto MBR.

Return to “Installation & Boot”