The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

07/01/2013
webworker has been so kind to host the LMDE KDE iso's on his server!
You can find the mirror links below.

05/01/2013
Frannoe has written an article in Spanish:
http://lmde-frannoe.blogspot.com.es/201 ... erado.html
And if your Spanish is a bit rusty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOOlG3_Pxk8

20/12/2012
Read a review of the unofficial LMDE KDE in the last issue of Full Circle Magazine for 2012, written by Ronnie Tucker:
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-68/
(Click on the FCM cover front image to download the pdf).

New Features
  1. Complete rework of Device Driver Manager, Debian Plymouth Manager and the Welcome Screen.
  2. The 64-bit version is now multiarch.
  3. Playonlinux and Wine are pre-installed.
ad 1. Plymouth is now using drm (like it should) instead of uvesafb (which caused DDM to crash if you wanted to install graphics drivers).

ad 3. I wish to differentiate between the unofficial LMDE KDE and the unofficial LMDE Xfce. That's why the first is going to have all the bells and whistles (I remember it was an old wish of you people to include Playonlinux and Wine) while the second is going to be lean and mean.

Known bugs
SR1 solved some bugs in DDM and the update manager will now show correctly your running update pack 6.

Downloads
You can download the iso's here or from my homepage.

If you are running UP5 and you haven't upgraded yet, you can download a bash script that I've been using to create the isos: http://www.schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages ... p6-upgrade (right click and save link as...).
This will also install Playonlinux and Wine.

After upgrade you need to reboot, and don't forget to reinstall your drivers with DDM.

===========================================================================================
LMDE KDE 64-bit (1.4 GB)
Torrent: http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde64_up ... so.torrent
Direct: http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde64_up6sr1_201212.iso
Direct mirror (Germany): http://erwin-reichel.de/lmde/lmdekde64_ ... 201212.iso
md5sum: 57fd913656f309efd870661a2b96c1e5

LMDE KDE 32-bit (1.5 GB) (includes 486 and pae kernel)
Torrent: http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde32_up ... so.torrent
Direct: http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/lmdekde32_up6sr1_201212.iso
Direct mirror (Germany): http://erwin-reichel.de/lmde/lmdekde32_ ... 201212.iso
md5sum: 2f1dcdffeb05d8065857881b5abb9508
===========================================================================================

Don't forget to choose a repository mirror when you're done installing:

Code: Select all

sudo mint-choose-debian-mirror
sudo apt-get update
Custom packages
Device Driver Manager (DDM)
The purpose of the application is to facilitate easy driver install for inexperienced users.
Supported hardware: Nvidia, ATI, Intel, VIA and Braodcom.
It can also check whether you can upgrade your kernel to pae if you are running 32-bit on a multi-core system.
DDM has its own thread on this forum: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=113559

Debian Plymouth Manager (DPM)
Front-end for Plymouth.
With this tool you can set your Plymouth (splash at boot) theme and its resolution as well as installing or removing Plymouth themes from your system.
DPM has its own thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=120073

Welcome Screen
This new welcome screen includes third-party hardware detection.
The actual driver installation is done by DDM.

Screenshots
Last edited by Schoelje on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:24 am, edited 15 times in total.
bimsebasse

Re: The unofficial LMDE KDE UP6

Post by bimsebasse »

Wow, this looks great, Schoelje
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

Very nice review. Thanks for posting it. :D
BostonPeng

Post by BostonPeng »

This almost makes me wish I hadn't upgraded to UP6 already, but I discovered a great plus about UP6 last night: I can finally mount my external hard drive again! It was a royal PITA to have to manually swap hard drives and boot from a LiveUSB just to move files from one drive to the other, and I've found so much great (free, legal) music on NoiseTrade that I've had to make room for new music on my hard drive.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

8) Schoelje, starting the download a i type :D
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Does boot still default to the PAE kernel if your machine is capable?
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

tdockery97 wrote:Does boot still default to the PAE kernel if your machine is capable?
If your machine is capable it should.
Nothing was changed compared to the previous version.
For obvious reasons, running live will boot to the 486 kernel.
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Using the update script, I have updated from LMDE KDE UP5 to UP6. Here is the report. There were a couple of issues.

First, the stage of installing playonlinux and wine didn't work. I caught something about no xterm. The rest finished and I rebooted, renaming the existing xorg.conf on boot. Once on the desktop, DDM came up and reported no nvidia driver. I figured out that I needed to check the nvidia-glx box to get it to install. Feedback wasn't useful but I waited a while, guessing it would take some time. Finally a popup reported it was done but didn't prompt to reboot. I did reboot anyway. DDM reported nvidia wasn't installed. I confirmed it was using vesa (nouveau fails ungracefully with this video card) and repeated installing nvidia via DDM. It installed and upon reboot, again no nvidia. I repeated it. No nvidia was present, or wasn't working. Since I had to get a video project done, I used the sgfxi script instead. This did work. Unfortunately while the nvidia drivers are working, video motion is choppy horizontally during motion. I ran the update script again (after all this) and playonlinux/wine did install, seemingly as normal.

So what I have is an apparently updated working system, but I had to use sgfxi instead of DDM to get working nvidia drivers, needed to run the update script after update for the playonlinux/wine install to work and I have some choppiness in video (it was working perfect before).
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Mint 20.2 xfce w/nemo - AMD A10 7700K APU - spdif to Bifrost DAC - Dell U2415
some favs: Zim, deadbeef, kid3, gimp, artha, deluge, handbrake, mc
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@TeaSwigger
Unfortunately I can't help you much.
As soon as you ran sgfxi, things were changed that I know nothing about.
A better option would have been to boot the previous kernel and work from there.

For others:
  1. Not running nouveau after kernel update (= upgrade to UP6): in /etc/modprobe.d you will probably find a file that blacklists nouveau.
    In my case: /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-kernel-common.conf
    But in some others: /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
    Just comment that line with a #.
  2. DDM not mentioning to reboot after driver install: see the "Known bugs" section at the beginning of this thread.
    I'm working on that, but it's not going to be part of the UP6 iso.
  3. Instead of sgfxi:

apt-get remove nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx
    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx build-essential nvidia-settings nvidia-xconfig
    nvidia-xconfig
    echo "blacklist nouveau" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
    But first check out if nvidia-glx is the driver you need (use synaptic to see if your card is supported).
    For legacy drivers:

nvidia-kernel-legacy-173xx-dkms nvidia-glx-legacy-173xx
    or

nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-dkms nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
  4. PlayOnlinux / Wine not installing:
    On a 64-bit system:

sudo apt-get install xterm
    sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer lib32nss-mdns playonlinux
    On a 32-bit system:

sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer libnss-mdns playonlinux
I've updated the upgrade script (thank you TeaSwigger, although I wish I could have helped you sooner).
Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

The current DDM issues (see the "Known Bugs" section) were solved:
http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages/ddm_0.5.1_all.deb
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

2 more things.

During boot or without X, LMDE KDE Edition now tells me I'm using LMDE Xfce Edition.

Mint Update Manager is still saying "Latest update pack used by this system: 5." Should I run the updated update script?
Schoelje wrote:@TeaSwigger
Unfortunately I can't help you much.
As soon as you ran sgfxi, things were changed that I know nothing about.
A better option would have been to boot the previous kernel and work from there.
Well a safe transition or at least the steps to do so from sgfxi to DDM method would have been nice, since the reason sgfxi was being used is 'cause that's what you originally provided. I've been updating the same install ever since.

Fortunately I was able to find out how to get sgfxi to install/switch it to vesa (as root without X running, run sgfxi -N vesa), which in turn allowed me to use the instructions above to install the nvidia drivers as DDM would. Once done, upon reboot the DDM did detect that the nvidia drivers are installed. The inferior video performance remains, possibly a problem with the newest driver. Sigh.

Anyone know a non-nvidia, more Linux friendly, reliable fanless graphics card? This one's been a pain.
[*]PlayOnlinux / Wine not installing:
On a 64-bit system:

sudo apt-get install ttf-mscorefonts-installer lib32nss-mdns playonlinux
Anyone who used the first version of the update script might want to confirm all of the items listed were installed (in my post above I'd mentioned running the installer the 2nd time; doing so failed to install lib32nss-mdns).
I've updated the upgrade script (thank you TeaSwigger, although I wish I could have helped you sooner).
I don't mean to sound crabby, I think this is a fine system and I'm grateful to all the work you're clearly investing in it.
“You can make a strong business case for equality but not everyone wants to hear it.” - Prof. Kate Pickett

Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

TeaSwigger wrote:During boot or without X, LMDE KDE Edition now tells me I'm using LMDE Xfce Edition.
Where do you see that?
I searched my log files and couldn't find anything referring to xfce.
TeaSwigger wrote:Mint Update Manager is still saying "Latest update pack used by this system: 5." Should I run the updated update script?
This is something the Update Manager does for you, but you can run this:

sudo echo "6" > /var/log/mintupdate.packlevel
TeaSwigger wrote:Well a safe transition or at least the steps to do so from sgfxi to DDM method would have been nice, since the reason sgfxi was being used is 'cause that's what you originally provided. I've been updating the same install ever since.
Like many other things, this is on my wish-list.
However, because I'm my own and only developer, I can say it's not high on the other list: the priority-list.
TeaSwigger wrote:Anyone who used the first version of the update script might want to confirm all of the items listed were installed (in my post above I'd mentioned running the installer the 2nd time; doing so failed to install lib32nss-mdns).
Wasn't lib32nss-mdns found in the repository or did it raise an error while installing?
If so, what was the error?
TeaSwigger wrote:I don't mean to sound crabby, I think this is a fine system and I'm grateful to all the work you're clearly investing in it.
Even if I mess up my own system (for the zillionth time), I get crabby...it's your prerogative.
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Schoelje wrote:Where do you see that?
I searched my log files and couldn't find anything referring to xfce.
At login, non graphical, for example if at the login screen I hit ctrl+alt+F1. It says "LMDE Xfce Edition [computer name] tty1" Boy, I jumped for a moment thinking the updating had gone terribly wrong! :shock: But KDE and everything runs fine... I guess it's just cosmetic? Weird.
This is something the Update Manager does for you, but you can run this:

sudo echo "6" > /var/log/mintupdate.packlevel
Tosses "bash: /var/log/mintupdate.packlevel: Permission denied" back at me.
Wasn't lib32nss-mdns found in the repository or did it raise an error while installing?
If so, what was the error?
Didn't catch any error. I just ran your list "in case" and it said they were all installed except lib32nss-mdns, which it did then successfully install.
Even if I mess up my own system (for the zillionth time), I get crabby...it's your prerogative.
hehe. That is a good perspective to have. Still, I am sorry if I came off crabby. We're good. :)

Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

TeaSwigger wrote:At login, non graphical, for example if at the login screen I hit ctrl+alt+F1. It says "LMDE Xfce Edition [computer name] tty1" Boy, I jumped for a moment thinking the updating had gone terribly wrong! :shock: But KDE and everything runs fine... I guess it's just cosmetic? Weird.
I'll dig further...
TeaSwigger wrote:Tosses "bash: /var/log/mintupdate.packlevel: Permission denied" back at me.
And if you first login as su and then run the line without sudo?
TeaSwigger wrote:Didn't catch any error. I just ran your list "in case" and it said they were all installed except lib32nss-mdns, which it did then successfully install.
Now that is strange...let's see if more people get the same message.
TeaSwigger wrote:That is a good perspective to have. Still, I am sorry if I came off crabby. We're good. :)
Luckily, in this case I'm not easily impressed: I've been working for many years as a business consultant.
You can learn a lot from people who are pissed: they still have the will to care and want to do something about it.
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Schoelje wrote:
TeaSwigger wrote:Tosses "bash: /var/log/mintupdate.packlevel: Permission denied" back at me.
And if you first login as su and then run the line without sudo?
That works. :)

Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

@TeaSwigger
If I CTRL-ALT-F1 it says "LMDE KDE edition..."
Does the following return something?

apt search xfce | grep ^i
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Schoelje wrote:@TeaSwigger
If I CTRL-ALT-F1 it says "LMDE KDE edition..."
Does the following return something?

apt search xfce | grep ^i
Yes:
i A mint-info-debian-xfce - Necessary information about the Linux Mint

Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

TeaSwigger wrote: Yes:
There you have it!

sudo apt-get purge mint-info-debian-xfce
sudo apt-get install mint-info-debian-kde
TeaSwigger
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TeaSwigger »

Schoelje wrote:
TeaSwigger wrote: Yes:
There you have it!

sudo apt-get purge mint-info-debian-xfce
sudo apt-get install mint-info-debian-kde
This also uninstalled:
mint-artwork-lmdekde* mint-configuration-lmdekde* mint-md5sum-kde* mintsystem*

They were not reinstalled. :?

Schoelje

Post by Schoelje »

TeaSwigger wrote:This also uninstalled:
mint-artwork-lmdekde* mint-configuration-lmdekde* mint-md5sum-kde* mintsystem*

They were not reinstalled. :?

sudo apt-get install mintsystem
wget -c http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages/mint-artwork-lmdekde_1.0.0_all.deb
wget -c http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages/mint-configuration-lmdekde_1.1.0_all.deb
wget -c http://schoelje.nl/lmdekde/packages/mint-md5sum-kde_2.0_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Return to “Chat about Linux”