dual boot linux mint with windows xp

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tsea

dual boot linux mint with windows xp

Post by tsea »

hello friends, I have installed Linux mint 14 on my computer along with windows xp(already installed and working). i created four separate partitions for /boot, /, /home and a swap partition while installing mint and under 'device for boot loader installation' i chose device corresponding to /boot i.e i installed GRUB on separate partition. the tutorial on net that i was referring to had a program 'easybcd' which was to be used to make an entry for Linux mint in window 7's boot menu. later i found that this program does not support windows xp. so how to make such an entry in window xp's boot menu so that i get choice to select the os during boot?? please help me friends and give your valuable responses. after looking at some other internet source i have also tried to edit boot.ini file in windows xp and put an entry ' c:\grldr="Linux mint 14(cinnamon)" '. window gives os selection choice at startup now but soon i pick 'Linux mint 14(cinnamon)', it shows an error message :

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll
please re-install a copy of the above file.

and then when i click enter it boots to windows xp. i think it could not locate GRUB and the correction i made in boot.ini file is to check for GRUB at some other location. please friends fix this problem. thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PiMinto

Re: dual boot linux mint with windows xp

Post by PiMinto »

Where did you install grub to? you can't edit any Windows settings/files to change o/s booting.
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

You need to copy the first sector from the boot partition to a file in the Windows C:\ directory and then reference that file in boot.ini. For instructions:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... i+#p653348
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
tsea

Post by tsea »

slipstick wrote:You need to copy the first sector from the boot partition to a file in the Windows C:\ directory and then reference that file in boot.ini. For instructions:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... i+#p653348

thank you very much slipstick... the problem has been completely fixed by your help..thanks again :)
PiMinto

Post by PiMinto »

apologies, I was not aware of this!

Return to “Installation & Boot”